Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-02-2016, 11:13 PM   #61
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

YES!! Frank has arrived!!
Old 11-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #62
picojim

Matt Dinerman (@3coltshandicap) will be the new announcer at @GGFracing as of the 26th of December, GGF management announced today. The position attracted strong, experienced candidates both nationally & internationally. Story to follow.
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #63
chenoa

What a gong show GGF has turned into with the revolving door at the mic.

Nothing against Matt, but pretty obvious they took the low road and his $$$ demands were minimal compared to the other so-called other top talent, national and international.

Would love to see/hear BOBBIE NEUMANN at Del-Mar when the time comes!!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 PM   #64
kingfin66
Bombardier

It seems as though Matt is a very highly regarded up and coming announcer. He has had no problems getting gigs at multiple tracks. I have always been under the impression - said impression based on information told to me by a track announcer - that in most cases tracks pay announcers on a daily rate scale. I could see where this would vary at the larger tracks, but I am not even certain about that. Perhaps Peter Berry would be willing to weigh in on announcer pay.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #65
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa View Post

I would anticipate that he is the heir apparent to Ed Burgart at Los Alamitos.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #66
dilanesp

Cool

Quote:

Nothing against Matt, but pretty obvious they took the low road and his $$$ demands were minimal compared to the other so-called other top talent, national and international.

He did a lot of the announcements between races at the BC.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 11:40 AM   #67
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullsnation View Post
YES!! Frank has arrived!!
Love Frank Mirahmadi "The Mirror Man"! He is my favorite announcer and seems like a heck of a guy to just be around in general.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #68
AstrosFan
math/science # cruncher

Quote:

Here goes my rant about this

Matt has been lurking around the No. Cal circuit for a while now, guest announcing some races, tv etc. and yes it was clearly the cheap road they went down for this hire.

It is shameful how some of these guys get hired (and they are only fair to begin with calling wise) based on "who they know" b/c that is what happened at EMD. Matt knows Larry Collmus and the rest is history.

There are plenty of guys who have better race calling skills and experience, yet, they will get passed up every time b/c of the going rate they demand and for the people they do not know. RIL hired a terrible announcer, Mike James, this past season all based on Pete Aiello telling the RIL GM Mike Weiss he was a fit for the track.
https://www.facebook.com/mikey.james...on=friends_tab ARE YOU KIDDING ME PETE? But Pete doesn't care b/c he got in thanks to Larry at GP.

Race callers are getting $150-$400 per day and a prime example is the Penn National guy, who is roughly getting $40k a year after working there for over three decades to announce year round! I can see why he hasn't been hired to go to any other track BTW Math wise, it comes out to $200 a day, which is company standard for that poor excuse of a race track operator & employer.

Living in the Bay Area, at let's say $1,500 a week to call races, sure isn't much, given the price of living and tax rate in CA, even with a roommate. Hell the washed up Craig Braddick was living in the stable area when calling at ARP! Funny what some of these guys do just to call a race in a sport that has seen dates reduced by 1,447 race days from 2005 to 2015

Whether you liked her or not, its a F-ing shame what happened to Angela. Gets hired, leaves CBY for la la land, gets the boot from the creeps at the Stronach group and now is nowhere on the horse racing map, while Frank M. who has quite the unsavory past, is getting ridiculous chances to call races. Did he not quit GG b/c SA didn't hire him, only to go crawling back?! Pathetic!

Most announcers aren't good anymore and it's an instant mute when watching via the RTN network at home. Matt, Larry, Aiello, Frank, Stone, Fox, Grunder, Jimmy McNerney and countless others are on wearing out my mute button!

Last edited by AstrosFan; 11-16-2017 at 12:52 PM.
AstrosFan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #69
dilanesp

When 100 people want your job, (1) it lowers the pay, and (2) it means people get hired based on connections. Add to that the fact that the job isn't all that important.

I just described half the production assistant type jobs in Hollywood.

It's fun to call the races. The sport doesn't generate huge profits. Other than maybe the prestige jobs like Santa Anita and NYRA and Churchill. why would you expect these jobs to pay well or be filled on merit?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #70
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosFan View Post

Matt has been lurking around the No. Cal circuit for a while now, guest announcing some races, tv etc. and yes it was clearly the cheap road they went down for this hire.

It is shameful how some of these guys get hired (and they are only fair to begin with calling wise) based on "who they know" b/c that is what happened at EMD. Matt knows Larry Collmus and the rest is history.

There are plenty of guys who have better race calling skills and experience, yet, they will get passed up every time b/c of the going rate they demand and for the people they do not know. RIL hired a terrible announcer, Mike James, this past season all based on Pete Aiello telling the RIL GM Mike Weiss he was a fit for the track.
https://www.facebook.com/mikey.james...on=friends_tab ARE YOU KIDDING ME PETE? But Pete doesn't care b/c he got in thanks to Larry at GP.

Race callers are getting $150-$400 per day and a prime example is the Penn National guy, who is roughly getting $40k a year after working there for over three decades to announce year round! I can see why he hasn't been hired to go to any other track BTW Math wise, it comes out to $200 a day, which is company standard for that poor excuse of a race track operator & employer.

Living in the Bay Area, at let's say $1,500 a week to call races, sure isn't much, given the price of living and tax rate in CA, even with a roommate. Hell the washed up Craig Braddick was living in the stable area when calling at ARP! Funny what some of these guys do just to call a race in a sport that has seen dates reduced by 1,447 race days from 2005 to 2015

Whether you liked her or not, its a F-ing shame what happened to Angela. Gets hired, leaves CBY for la la land, gets the boot from the creeps at the Stronach group and now is nowhere on the horse racing map, while Frank M. who has quite the unsavory past, is getting ridiculous chances to call races. Did he not quit GG b/c SA didn't hire him, only to go crawling back?! Pathetic!

Most announcers aren't good anymore and it's an instant mute when watching via the RTN network at home. Matt, Larry, Aiello, Frank, Stone, Fox, Grunder, Jimmy McNerney and countless others are on wearing out my mute button!

How does Rillito get pulled into this mess? It is a track that is lucky to run 12 dates a year. Realistically, what announcer that is already established is going to come to Tucson to make garbage money to work two days a week? Some tracks can be used as farm systems, and seriously how many people are pissed about not getting the Rillito announcing job? How many even applied? Mike did a good job. Young guy trying to make it and doing what he can. He called at Chippewa downs last year as well.

Did knowing Pete help? I am sure it did. Again, this is Rillito not GG or Monmouth or any track with a decent racing calendar. That being said, if you are good enough and determined without knowing anyone, you can still make it in this industry.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM   #71
chenoa

Enjoyed the post, thanks.

I'll admit I wasn't a fan of Angela at first and it did take some getting used to, but it's a shame she got screwed the way the she did.

I know Frank has a lot of fans of here, but he was stupid to leave Oaklawn, despite following his dreams to audition for SA.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 AM   #72
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
That is one hell of a rant. If I didn't know better, I'd guess you're channeling the ghost of SRU or EMD4ME.....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2017, 04:05 PM   #73
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
That is one hell of a rant. If I didn't know better, I'd guess you're channeling the ghost of SRU or EMD4ME.....
SRU was never that coherent. He'd have pretended not to understand so he could start a 100-post argument EMD4ME wouldn't have a post that long that didn't have "I" in it 50 times.

That said, the idea that racing is the first business to hire cheaper labor with less experience over paying top dollar for someone more qualified...I mean, it's the way of the world.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2017, 03:07 AM   #74
KidCruz

Quote:

That this gentleman took the time to write out a seven paragraph thesis (complete with research, links etc) centered around the Rilito Park announcing job is all the proof I need that the world is ending soon.
KidCruz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #75
RunForTheRoses

He did a great job at Aqueduct this weekend.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: