Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #271
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Very good. Only about 1 out of 10 people say that.
does that make 90% wrong? or just misled? or is my answer wrong?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #272
zico20

Quote:
Let me give you an example that you can understand intuitively. Today there are X cars in your city/town/village/farm area. If that number doubles, there will be more emissions from cars, home heating, fireplaces - any source of carbon. Now if you believe that cars have doubled, doesn't it make sense that emissions have gone up? Now obviously, as vehicle emissions are reduced, their contribution is also reduced. But there will still be more emissions than before the new settlers and their cars arrived.

Nobody - certainly not the 97% scientists - preaches that 100% of the climate change is anthropogenic. There have been large volcanic eruptions that had short term impacts. I live 1,000 miles from Mount St. Helens and there was ash depositing on my car for three days. The atmosphere is like a big ocean. Water doesn't segregate, it mixes. Same with the atmosphere. However, since the industrial revolution and the explosion of automobiles that use carbonaceous fuel, it should be simple to see that they have had an impact on the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is inconceivable that humans didn't contribute to increases in greenhouse gas since the industrial revolution. And with the spread of cars and manufacturing in Asia and Africa the position that there are more emissions is obvious.

What does your Fox guy believe is causing the melting of glaciers that have been there for hundreds or even thousands of years?

The interview that was posted was full of half truths; enough truth to make it sound plausible. Sure there are warming and cooling periods. The difference is that most of those periods had limited geographic scope. The current term "global" is a key descriptor of what is going on now. It wasn't hard to see through it if you had some knowledge. I have a lot of experience with atmospheric modeling. I know how they predict. Current models are not nearly the voodoo he suggests.

By the way, I knew and worked with Roger Pielke. Smart guy.

Here's a question anyone is welcome to answer: what is the most prevalent greenhouse gas?
Since the number of cars dramatically went up from the forties through the seventies yet temperatures plummeted; so your cause and effect is null and void. According to you, the earths temperature should have risen during those decades. Man has very little if anything to do with global warming, the Earth does it naturally. Besides, a warmer earth is a more beneficial earth, so lets hope it increases a little more.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM   #273
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Since the number of cars dramatically went up from the forties through the seventies yet temperatures plummeted; so your cause and effect is null and void. According to you, the earths temperature should have risen during those decades. Man has very little if anything to do with global warming, the Earth does it naturally. Besides, a warmer earth is a more beneficial earth, so lets hope it increases a little more.
I used cars as a simple example. The reason they became less of a problem in the last 40 years was the catalytic converter. But hundreds of millions of vehicles together are a significant source. Billions around the world are even more so.

You ever see pictures of Pittsburgh in the 40's? Emissions were killing people.

It's ridiculous to suggest putting greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I've been in LA and Mexico City on bad days and believe me it sucks.

Warmer is more beneficial when it comes without droughts or melting ice caps. Trump will get his wall. It will be along the east coast of the country to repel flooding.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #274
fast4522

Quote:
One hundred years from now the percentages of what we got right and also what we got wrong might be astounding even though none of us will be here. So my projection is how we clean up our oceans or don't will have more effect than anything. While plactic straws are a target and easy for feel good legislation, better legislation targeting proper disposal seems more in order. Watching Jerry Brown backing down in front of the President talking about learning better forest management is in order for the guy replacing him. So does meeting near middle mean stabbing a political party in the back?
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #275
zico20

Quote:
I used cars as a simple example. The reason they became less of a problem in the last 40 years was the catalytic converter. But hundreds of millions of vehicles together are a significant source. Billions around the world are even more so.

You ever see pictures of Pittsburgh in the 40's? Emissions were killing people.

It's ridiculous to suggest putting greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I've been in LA and Mexico City on bad days and believe me it sucks.

Warmer is more beneficial when it comes without droughts or melting ice caps. Trump will get his wall. It will be along the east coast of the country to repel flooding.
All the ice on the planet can melt and it won't raise sea levels but a couple of inches, if that. All these projections are nothing more than scare tactics.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 PM   #276
davew

Quote:
All the ice on the planet can melt and it won't raise sea levels but a couple of inches, if that. All these projections are nothing more than scare tactics.
but what about the miles deep ice once on Greenland and Antartica?
the projections of 35 inches higher sea level in next 30 years wrong?
those projections come from the climatologist scientists don't they?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 06:34 AM   #277
hcap

Quote:
30 or 40 year periods are not what climatologists use to determine climate trends.

Also direct correlations of "cause and effect", are not always evident in "momentary"(short trends) rises and falls of global temperatures.

Interpretation of data is crucial.

With deliberately cherry picking appropriate time periods, here 1998-2012, a "pause" can be created, even when there is an ongoing warming trend.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #278
hcap

Longer data trends further illustrate man's role

Figure 27. B, Past, current, and projected global temperature from about 20,000 years before the present to 2100 C.E. Modified from data published by the World Health Organization, the World Meteorological Organization, and the United Nations Environment Programme in 2003 (McMichael and others, 2003) and data published by the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) (2007a).

Particularly in the relationship between the Industrial Revolution and Greenhouse gases.

These increases in greenhouse gas concentrations and their marked rate of change are largely attributable to human activities since the Industrial Revolution (1800). The increases and current atmospheric levels are the result of the competition between sources (the emissions of these gases from human activities and natural systems) and sinks (their removal from the atmosphere by conversion to different chemical compounds--for example, CO2 is removed by photosynthesis and conversion to carbonates). Brief summaries of these factors for several important greenhouse gases are given in Greenhouse Gas Sources and Sinks with graphics showing the human and natural contributions to their emissions (and sinks).

Last edited by hcap; 11-19-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #279
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
If all the ice covering Antarctica, Greenland, and in mountain glaciers around the world were to melt, sea level would rise about 70 meters (230 feet). The ocean would cover all the coastal cities. And land area would shrink significantly. But many cities, such as Denver, would survive.

Somehow you think earth science is in the infancy of its life. You don't think we could calculate the volume of water if the ice caps melted?

The entirety of the polar ice caps completely melting is small. But suppose half of them melted. It would still be a disaster. The point is, let's not find out what the world would look like with severe melting.

I don't know where you get your information, but you might need to find a better source.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #280
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Tom, you missed out on the most monumental new "alien" on earth theory. Or at least "alien" on flat-earth theory.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside...y-is-hot-again

DENVER—“In five years, everyone will know the Earth is flat,” Scott Simons tells me as we wait in line for the second annual Flat Earth Conference.

Scott, holding the Utah license plate “ITSFLAT,” is explaining how the Flat Earth revolution will bring “societal collapse” because the bulk of our knowledge comes from Round Earth institutions.

“It’s globalism,” his wife Julie interjects. The term, a favorite of President Donald Trump, has become an anti-Semitic euphemism, attached to a far-right conspiracy about Jews controlling the world. I make what must be a funny face, because Julie tries to clarify.

“Globalism,” she repeats, and draws a circle with her hands to illustrate.

Ah. Globe. Yes.

You do realize this whole "globalism = anti-Semitic" thingy is a whole mountainous pile of bullshit, right?

Nowhere on this wiki page does it mention that globalism is some sort of anti-Semitic code word...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalism

And you KNOW it would mention it on left-leaning wiki...if it were actually a THING.

And I'm sure they will get around to adding it to this page SOON ENOUGH (maybe YOU will even do it)...just wanted to point it out NOW, before they get around to editing it and adding in the new-found, ALL OF A SUDDEN, antisemitism associated with this concept.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #281
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Who cares?
35 years notice is not enough?
The continents are "racing" towards each other and will surely destroy all coastal cities anyway.

Move inland.

Problem solved.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM   #282
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Since ocean level rise is on the order of ~9 inches per century and has been for several centuries, I'll take under on all bets. 35 inches in 30 years is literally 13 times higher than the current rate. Methinks a problem exists in the forecast.
tucker6 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #283
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You do realize this whole "globalism = anti-Semitic" thingy is a whole mountainous pile of bullshit, right?

Nowhere on this wiki page does it mention that globalism is some sort of anti-Semitic code word...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globalism

And you KNOW it would mention it on left-leaning wiki...if it were actually a THING.

And I'm sure they will get around to adding it to this page SOON ENOUGH (maybe YOU will even do it)...just wanted to point it out NOW, before they get around to editing it and adding in the new-found, ALL OF A SUDDEN, antisemitism associated with this concept.
You are obsessed.
This thread is about climate change, not Chumpy'S vile rhetoric stirring up hatred

Last edited by hcap; 11-19-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #284
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Since ocean level rise is on the order of ~9 inches per century and has been for several centuries, I'll take under on all bets. 35 inches in 30 years is literally 13 times higher than the current rate. Methinks a problem exists in the forecast.
Not sure where you get your data, but "several" centuries before the industrial revolution is irrelevant.

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/understand...al-projections

SEMs [Rahmstorf et al., 2012 and references therein] take a simple approach—a kind of shortcut—to simulating future sea level rise. Instead of trying to model the processes underlying sea level change, these models rely on sea-level changes observed in previous decades and their relationship to global temperature. Then they apply that same relationship to the century to come. The resulting projections tend to be significantly higher than those derived from process-based modeling.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #285
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
You are obsessed.
This thread is about climate change, not Chumpy'S vile rhetoric stirring up hatred
You're the one who brought up globalism = anti-Semitic crap...IN THIS THREAD....I'm just telling it like it is.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: