Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-28-2015, 12:23 PM   #1
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Timonium 2015

Hello everyone!

This year's version of the annual Timonium Fair and Races is fast approaching. Racing dates are 08/28-08/30 and 09/04-09/07, with a starting post time around 1:00-1:10 p.m. Timonium also offers afternoon simulcasting during the fair from about 5-6 different tracks, which always include Saratoga and Monmouth.

Racing at Timonium is a different kind of experience which I believe everyone should try at least one time in their life.

Some details about racing at Timonium:
-- Racing Oval is 5/8-mile
-- Usually 9 races each day. Might be 10 on Labor Day Monday.
-- Field sizes typically range from 6-10 horses.
-- Most common race distances are 4f and 6 1/2f, along with a few mile and 1 1/16 mile races.
-- Full complement of wagering options available, including superfectas. Because it is part of the "Maryland circuit", Timonium is often carried by major ADWs.
-- Open-air grandstand with free seating and excellent view of the entire racetrack. (Although I still use them, one can comfortably watch the races without binoculars.).
-- Inside air-conditioned simulcast area (Additional cost is $2) which is usually not crowded.
-- In-grandstand food options, including a restaurant/bar.
-- Can bring in your own food, chairs, coolers (without glass containers), etc.
-- Hopefully called by excellent racing announcer Dave Rodman.

In addition to racing, the fair has lots of 4H agricultural exhibits and competitions, along with carnival rides and games, and vendor food booths. On site there is also the excellent Maryland Food Court, which has booths featuring specific food themes like Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Seafood! (Can you say clams and crab cake sandwiches), Lamb, and Greek.

All sounds good so far, but what about the cost?
Last year's admission was $8 per adult, with a discount for children and senior citizens. Admission gets you into the fair and also covers the racing.
Parking on site is $3 but the lots fill up quickly, so you need to arrive significantly in advance. Off-site parking is higher and market rate. (I'm thinking $5-$20.).

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER TO PACEADVANTAGE MEMBERS:
Arrange to meet up with me before you try to pass thru the Admissions Gate and get in FREE! This includes you, your family, and even your friends. Just send me a private message as much in advance as possible so that we can coordinate the details.

Past year's attendees have included proximity, ronsmac, charm city whizz, and myself, and it usually works out that on at least one day, all four of us are able to get together. Our "home base" is at a group of tables in the 2nd floor simulcast room, where we are free to come and go as we please. Typically we handicap at the home base, then walk/run outside to watch the live running of a race. The atmosphere is casual and the comradery is very special.

In other years a number of other PaceAdvantage members have expressed an interest in Timonium. Perhaps this is the year you can join us.

By separate posting I'll show who plans to attend and on what day(s).

Hope you can join us!

Chris
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
Track Collector

The following summary is being provided in order to assist folks with which day(s) you might want to attend. Thinking of attending? Please advise me via this thread or by private message so that I can update the list. This specific posting will be updated regularly, so please check back from time to time.

TIMONIUM 2015

Friday (08/28) --> charm city whizz, proximity, ronsmac, Track Collector
Saturday (08/29) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/30) --> Track Collector

Friday (09/04) --> Track Collector
Saturday (09/05) -->
Sunday (09/06) --> charm city whizz, Track Collector
Labor Day Monday (09/07) --> Track Collector

*=Tentative

Last edited by Track Collector; 09-06-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Track Collector

Forgot to mention that for some members , Fridays and Saturdays allow Timonium / Charles Town (PT 7:00 p.m.) racing doubleheaders, OR poker indulgence at the Horseshoe or MDLive in Baltimore for the evening activity.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
The following summary is being provided in order to assist folks with which day(s) you might want to attend. Thinking of attending? Please advise me via this thread or by private message so that I can update the list. This specific posting will be updated regularly, so please check back from time to time.

TIMONIUM 2015

Friday (08/28) --> Track Collector
Saturday (08/29) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/30) --> Track Collector

Friday (09/04) --> Track Collector
Saturday (09/05) --> Track Collector
Sunday (09/06) --> Track Collector
Labor Day Monday (09/07) --> Track Collector

I'll be there opening day and probably more.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
charm city whizz

I can gaurentee opening day but don't know how the funds will be after

TC I think with the addition of the Otb at horseshoe and poker room it could be a good time at night
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #6
thespaah

Quote:
Hello everyone!

This year's version of the annual Timonium Fair and Races is fast approaching. Racing dates are 08/28-08/30 and 09/04-09/07, with a starting post time around 1:00-1:10 p.m. Timonium also offers afternoon simulcasting during the fair from about 5-6 different tracks, which always include Saratoga and Monmouth.

Racing at Timonium is a different kind of experience which I believe everyone should try at least one time in their life.

Some details about racing at Timonium:
-- Racing Oval is 5/8-mile
-- Usually 9 races each day. Might be 10 on Labor Day Monday.
-- Field sizes typically range from 6-10 horses.
-- Most common race distances are 4f and 6 1/2f, along with a few mile and 1 1/16 mile races.
-- Full complement of wagering options available, including superfectas. Because it is part of the "Maryland circuit", Timonium is often carried by major ADWs.
-- Open-air grandstand with free seating and excellent view of the entire racetrack. (Although I still use them, one can comfortably watch the races without binoculars.).
-- Inside air-conditioned simulcast area (Additional cost is $2) which is usually not crowded.
-- In-grandstand food options, including a restaurant/bar.
-- Can bring in your own food, chairs, coolers (without glass containers), etc.
-- Hopefully called by excellent racing announcer Dave Rodman.

In addition to racing, the fair has lots of 4H agricultural exhibits and competitions, along with carnival rides and games, and vendor food booths. On site there is also the excellent Maryland Food Court, which has booths featuring specific food themes like Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Seafood! (Can you say clams and crab cake sandwiches), Lamb, and Greek.

All sounds good so far, but what about the cost?
Last year's admission was $8 per adult, with a discount for children and senior citizens. Admission gets you into the fair and also covers the racing.
Parking on site is $3 but the lots fill up quickly, so you need to arrive significantly in advance. Off-site parking is higher and market rate. (I'm thinking $5-$20.).

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER TO PACEADVANTAGE MEMBERS:
Arrange to meet up with me before you try to pass thru the Admissions Gate and get in FREE! This includes you, your family, and even your friends. Just send me a private message as much in advance as possible so that we can coordinate the details.

Past year's attendees have included proximity, ronsmac, charm city whizz, and myself, and it usually works out that on at least one day, all four of us are able to get together. Our "home base" is at a group of tables in the 2nd floor simulcast room, where we are free to come and go as we please. Typically we handicap at the home base, then walk/run outside to watch the live running of a race. The atmosphere is casual and the comradery is very special.

In other years a number of other PaceAdvantage members have expressed an interest in Timonium. Perhaps this is the year you can join us.

By separate posting I'll show who plans to attend and on what day(s).

Hope you can join us!

Chris
As much as I despise traveling on holiday weekends, the second weekend of the meet works better for me.
As of now that is. Things can change though. I really want to get up there just to hook up with everybody.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #7
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Forgot to mention that for some members , Fridays and Saturdays allow Timonium / Charles Town (PT 7:00 p.m.) racing doubleheaders, OR poker indulgence at the Horseshoe or MDLive in Baltimore for the evening activity.
A Bullring Double Header....That is what I call heaven.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Going to make it there soon, but due to other commitments, can't get there this year. Don't forget to say Hi to Marty when you go to Hazel Park!
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Possible this year, taking an east coast vacation this year around that time, just not sure of the exact dates in Maryland yet.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Going to make it there soon, but due to other commitments, can't get there this year. Don't forget to say Hi to Marty when you go to Hazel Park!
Haha. Some much younger guy is doing the in-house handicapping show now, and he does not show his selections on cut out cards with hand-drawn numbers on them. Guess HP didn't want that when they went "bigger" time by hosting thoroughbreds. Long live Marty!!

Hope you can experience Timonium sometime in the next few years!
Old 07-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Possible this year, taking an east coast vacation this year around that time, just not sure of the exact dates in Maryland yet.
I hope you can make it. A well-known PA celebrity such as yourself would definitely bring in some fence sitters, and perhaps your Dad too! Hopefully we would have some good Orioles news to discuss as well.

Certainly open to some kind of sharing of TFUS info as well, in an informal setting. It would be small group or one-on-one, if others were interested, and if it does not interferes with your vacation.

Now THERE is something folks probably never envisioned in the same sentence......TFUS and Timonium.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #12
Si2see

I went last year and had a good time.... If I recall it was on a day that a lot of us talked about going but I am not sure if anyone else actually came...

We pulled the Timonium Charles Town Double and had a blast !! Will probably do the same again this year. I will post back with whichever date we can make it up from Richmond.
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Si2see

We will be heading up on Saturday August 29th to pull the Timonium Charles Town double header... One thing I just read in the original post on this thread about being able to bring your own cooler of beer ( non glass ).... Are we pretty sure this is accurate ? I didn't see anyone that I can recall last year with coolers

Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see
We will be heading up on Saturday August 29th to pull the Timonium Charles Town double header... One thing I just read in the original post on this thread about being able to bring your own cooler of beer ( non glass ).... Are we pretty sure this is accurate ? I didn't see anyone that I can recall last year with coolers

Jason
Hi Jason (Si2see). Glad you are able to make it!

Well, I think you can still bring in coolers, but if you can't, you can store it in my vehicle, which will be parked very close to the fair Admission Gate (Timonium road side). It's a safe spot anyway, as I don't drink. Now if it contains snacks, that is a different matter altogether.

I'll see if I can get confirmation of the current policy in advance.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #15
Track Collector

Some might find the following "history" link on the Fair and Races interesting:

History

If I read correctly, the fair has been at the present site since 1879.

Not mentioned but read somewhere else, racing was almost discontinued in 1984. Also, harness races were held up to the early 1900's.

The current 5/8-mile track was 1/2-mile prior to 1974.

I'm working on my current "investment" plan to make the Timonium meet a financial success.