Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2023, 02:52 PM   #46
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The state can take the tracks, but it can't take the trademarks. If Maryland ever does that, they'll end up owning Pimilico while Stronach runs the Preakness at Santa Anita or Lone Star or something.
Stronach no longer has Lone Star, which is operated by a subsidiary of Chickasaw Nation.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:17 PM   #47
Snow Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
What’s different now is that NYRA has sold the TV rights for the Belmont Stakes to Fox, so NBC no longer has any vested interest in whether a Triple Crown happens or not. But they are vested in amping up the marquee value of the Preakness. If NBC believes they can attract more viewers by changing the date of the Preakness, then the date’s going to change.

My guess is that if NBC moves the Preakness, Fox will follow suit with the Belmont. The increased viewership that occurs when a Triple Crown is in play is likely too enticing for Fox to pass up.
I do wonder what the networks think. I think we who love racing are a bit delusional as to the Triple Crown’s ability to sustain the public’s attention into the summer. As soon as Memorial Day comes around people start going to the beach, vacations, etc. Most normal people (I’m not normal) are not going to want to spend their July 4th weekend at the Belmont Stakes or even remember who won the Derby at that point. I don’t think they’d be as likely to interrupt a summer Saturday plans to watch either, but hopefully I’d be wrong.

Fox paid $40 mil over 8 years for the Belmont. They paid $5.1 Billion for ten years of the mlb all star game and World Series. I doubt Fox executives are spending as much time thinking about this as we are (or really care about the health of the sport).
Snow Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 07:58 PM   #48
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post

My guess is that if NBC moves the Preakness, Fox will follow suit with the Belmont. The increased viewership that occurs when a Triple Crown is in play is likely too enticing for Fox to pass up.
Care to bet a few million on this?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 08:13 PM   #49
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

In Triple Crown standings, the races rank something like this...

Derby
Belmont
Preakness.

There is no way the Preakness is going to dictate terms to the other two.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 08:37 PM   #50
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Care to bet a few million on this?

If you'd said ten bucks, I would have taken you up on it...

but a ten spot is probably the upper end of my conviction on this one
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2023, 10:11 PM   #51
Pigpen

Quote:
One word "absurd".
Pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2023, 08:32 AM   #52
The_Turf_Monster

NBC and Fox will dictate the dates, make no mistake about it. It’s the environment we find ourselves in right now, tv channels are dictating college sports conferences and throwing tradition out the window as they do it. I’m sure that NBC isn’t finding the news of the Preakness’ potential change in dates from the press
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2023, 08:45 AM   #53
myohmyjustify

Ever since the connections of 1985 Derby winner Spend a Buck tossed aside the Preakness for some evil lucre -- a $2 million bonus -- by running in the Jersey Derby instead, Preakness prominence took a hit.

Yes, this was 38 years ago but that single seed of irrelevance is now a full grown tree casting a big shadow over the 'tradition' of both the Preakness and Triple Crown series.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #54
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myohmyjustify View Post
Ever since the connections of 1985 Derby winner Spend a Buck tossed aside the Preakness for some evil lucre -- a $2 million bonus -- by running in the Jersey Derby instead, Preakness prominence took a hit.

Yes, this was 38 years ago but that single seed of irrelevance is now a full grown tree casting a big shadow over the 'tradition' of both the Preakness and Triple Crown series.
Huh? That particular incident was a good thing. It led to forcing the networks to anti-up and offer a few million dollar bonus to one who wins the TC. They took the bonus away once they were sure no other track would do what NJ did.

Since we've already had two TC winners in the last decade, it's not a big deal anymore IMO. The dates for the three races have traditionally been moved around.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2023, 11:31 AM   #55
classhandicapper

Chad Brown appears to be the only smart enough to draw a circle around the Preakness knowing full well almost all the Derby horses are going to skip it. That gives him a chance to win a Grade 1 and large purse with a horse that may not be quite ready or good enough for the 10F Derby while almost everyone else in a similar position is wasting a start and maybe ruining their horse 2 weeks earlier chasing fantasies. It should be a more important and better race.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 08-12-2023 at 11:36 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2023, 12:40 PM   #56
azeri98

If you scrap the Preakness then all the tradition is gone, which doesn't really matter to me. If you want to change it make it at 3 distinct distances like a mile, mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. If a horse can win at all 3 distances that would be great or you could throw a turf race in there to show versatility just use the Derby qualifying system as a way to get into the race so Chad Brown can't throw strictly turf horse into the race
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #57
bisket

The most sensible thing to do would move the derby to the last week in April, leave the Preakness where it is, and move the Belmont back one week. 3 weeks between Preakness and Derb, and 4 weeks to the Belmont.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2023, 10:19 AM   #58
the little guy

Does anyone actually believe this conversation would even be taking place if NBC still had the broadcast rights to the Belmont?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #59
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Does anyone actually believe this conversation would even be taking place if NBC still had the broadcast rights to the Belmont?
Obviously NYRA is on Fox most days and it made perfect sense to move, but it also showed each race is it's own entity and not the unified series it appears on the surface.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2023, 01:09 PM   #60
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Obviously NYRA is on Fox most days and it made perfect sense to move, but it also showed each race is it's own entity and not the unified series it appears on the surface.
agree, and as we have seen the past week with college sports, horrible decisions are beholden to what tv execs want.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply