Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #76
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPickle
I think something people are forgetting when people criticize Angela or Matt Dinerman is we don't have a lot of bench strength.

There's not a ton of announcers out there and there's certainly not a lot of young up and comers. I think Angela deserves a ton of credit for taking the job and trying to become an announcer.

Remember 20 years almost every track had a dedicated backup announcer. Some even had three. Now with the exception of NYRA it's who ever is around. Santa Anita uses the guy from Los Al. Gulfstream uses the Pompano guy. etc.

Earlier this year Portland Meadows went two days with no announcer because the guy was sick.

I don't think people are coming at this issue with perspective there's not enough bodies for the seats.

I keep waiting for the first racino to going annoucerless. My hunch is at this point the position only exists in some places because of liability. That if there's an accident or a horse going the wrong way they need a person to alert everyone.
I only really 'use' the announcer for replays on occasion, racing has this archaic system in place where you don't really know the saddle cloth number of the horse you're watching because posts and cloth numbers don't always match and there's no way in drf that you can tell cloth number.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #77
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Ya know what...Huston is an acquired taste. I do not care for his style. However, those in ear shot will have no issue with understanding his speech.
Very clear.
I love Huston. Don't get me wrong, but he is that announcer who you can consider to be "sing-song"
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #78
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I only really 'use' the announcer for replays on occasion, racing has this archaic system in place where you don't really know the saddle cloth number of the horse you're watching because posts and cloth numbers don't always match and there's no way in drf that you can tell cloth number.
One thing to bear in mind is that track announcers' role has changed. They aren't hired to be "useful" so much anymore (though they do announce changes and stewards' decisions and the like). They are hired to be entertaining.

The most "useful" track announcer I ever heard was Marshall Cassidy. He added virtually nothing to the drama of a big stakes race, but he was incredibly accurate and went through the field as many times as he could. If you were watching a race and trying to follow a horse, he was great.

But the modern track announcer doesn't fill that role. Remember, most people at the track and simulcast outlets never hear the announcer while watching the race live anyway. The point is to have an entertaining soundtrack to a race when watching replays.

That's why you have, for instance, the love that many people express for Tom Durkin. People love his call of the 1994 Travers, and I totally understand why. But you didn't hear that call live at Saratoga or at a simulcast outlet when everyone was screaming. (You didn't hear it on ESPN either- Dave Johnson called the race on television.) You heard it on the replay. Tom Durkin was extremely entertaining when at his best.

Personally, I always liked the "useful" model. But I understand that we live in the modern world, and as the Portland Meadows anecdote indicates, track announcers aren't really very important anyway.

Given the world we live in, there's no reason why Golden Gate shouldn't form a long-term relationship with Angela Hermann. Let her grow in the job. Open up the profession for more female voices. Be a sign of progressivity and progress.

She's very, very smart, takes criticism, and is trying very hard to get better. I think she will.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2016, 02:26 PM   #79
dilanesp

By the way, if you want a few minutes of fun, this "What's My Line" featuring Ann Elliott, who called races at Jefferson Downs in the early 1960's, is classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDm...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by dilanesp; 05-17-2016 at 02:28 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 04:21 AM   #80
ultracapper

Doing my replay work this evening, I came across 3 calls of hers. I thought all 3 calls were just fine, and I believe she's going to be just fine calling the races. Her voice is actually quite easy on the ears, and it's easy to watch those replays that she's calling.

I think it's a nice change of pace. She's the first female caller I've ever heard.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #81
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Over visiting my pops last night, flipped on TVG for a minute, and caught a GG race at post time. Now, I hadnt heard her yet, and my father, who only watches three races a year--TC--listened without me mentioning anything about the caller.

IMO, it wasnt that bad...With time, she'll get more comfortable, and will get her style worked out.

Pops: "Why, that's a woman calling this race...I like her voice, but sounds like she's nervous." During the stretch call, she stumbled over her words, which he followed up with "Well, spit it out girl.."

In an unfair comparison, I flipped over a bit later, and he got to listen to Wrona, who he was very impressed with. "Now, that girl could learn something from him.."
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #82
chenoa

Just watched replay of today's 1st race, pretty botched up.

2 helpful hints:

i) Angela remember back in English class when the teacher gave you a essay assignment with a word limit. Start using a word limit in your calls, too much useless ad lib going on.

ii) It's a horse race not a short story, see point i).
Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #83
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa

2 helpful hints:

i) Angela remember back in English class when the teacher gave you a essay assignment with a word limit. Start using a word limit in your calls, too much useless ad lib going on.

The other day Simon Bray called it a verbal description and Todd T " sends it out to Angela Herman for her comments" on race such and such They even realize she's not a race caller
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 09:41 PM   #84
JimmyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
The other day Simon Bray called it a verbal description and Todd T " sends it out to Angela Herman for her comments" on race such and such They even realize she's not a race caller
I told a friend the same thing when I heard Todd do this a few times last week like it was an inside joke and a discreet way to take a jab at her

JimmyQ
JimmyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2016, 03:51 AM   #85
KidCruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyQ
I told a friend the same thing when I heard Todd do this a few times last week like it was an inside joke and a discreet way to take a jab at her

JimmyQ
Todd Schrupp is an asshole if he really did this. Even if she was the worst race caller in the history of mankind, he proves himself to be even worse with this unwarranted lack of professionalism.
KidCruz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #86
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
The most "useful" track announcer I ever heard was Marshall Cassidy. He added virtually nothing to the drama of a big stakes race, but he was incredibly accurate and went through the field as many times as he could. If you were watching a race and trying to follow a horse, he was great.
I also enjoyed Marshall Cassidy because he did go quickly through the field, and I could read the Form for the next race while a race was running. In other words, a great caller for radio.

At the other end of the "excitement" spectrum was Phil Georgeff, who could make a $4K claimer at Sportsmen sound like a G1 at Arlington.

Angela has an excellent speaking voice, and I like the detailed trip info on some of the horses. But her "race conversation" style is at odds with what many fans are used to - not sure how that plays out in the long run. My only complaint is that with a lack of "sing song" to the "call", sometimes a race is half over before I know it....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2016, 08:57 AM   #87
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa

2 helpful hints:

This is the best advice that anyone can give this girl if she ever wants to improve, can get better if she accepts some corrective criticism.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM   #88
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Her voice is not that a domineering (?) type - you know, that set it aside from the rest - let's you know it it thoneone in charge. She sound lore like some sitting net to you. Nothing wrong with her words or style, just lacks a punch in the delivery.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #89
AlBundy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCruz
Todd Schrupp is an asshole if he really did this. Even if she was the worst race caller in the history of mankind, he proves himself to be even worse with this unwarranted lack of professionalism.
Probably the best thing that did happen to Calder was when TVG hired him so they could bring in Bobby Neuman (where the hell is he, good announcer) to take over for Phil Saltzman when he retired.

But yeah, for Schrupp to make any kind of snide comments when he is the worst at what he does is a bit rich.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #90
fiznow

The best race caller GG had was Tony Calo. He even made me play Finger Lakes.