Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-21-2016, 08:48 PM   #76
JimmyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
I'm tempted to play this week...with so much money in the daily pools seems like a good wager any way...what are some of the reasonable ticket structures for someone who can't afford a large ticket? I only want to spend at most 50 bucks on it a day...that's a lot of money for me but if they must distribute it then I'll take a shot....I'm thinking something like 2x2x1x4x1x3....what is a quick and easy way to add this up...is the formula axbxcxdxexf times .20?
My advice to you is if you are willing to play $50 a day (Weds, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday) is to bank the $50 W-F and put in a $200 ticket to Saturday. Yes you're gambling it will make it to Saturday and if it doesn't you have yourself a $200 bankroll for that day. If you do want to play $40-$50 a day you could structure your ticket 1x1x2x4x5x5= $40. Place 2 singles any where you feel confident. Also you can x by $.20 or just divide by 5, whichever is easiest. Good Luck this week

JimmyQ

Last edited by JimmyQ; 03-21-2016 at 08:51 PM.
JimmyQ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #77
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Yeah, but the way the bet is played that so much of the time ridiculous longshots are way overplayed. If you are playing to just win and not trying to bring down the pot, the bet still pays very well. I don't think the takeout is the whole story on this bet at all.
I don't think takeout is the whole story on any bet ever. Despite higher takeout I am much more successful on superfectas than exactas, and more successful on exactas than win bets.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #78
mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
I'm tempted to play this week...with so much money in the daily pools seems like a good wager any way...what are some of the reasonable ticket structures for someone who can't afford a large ticket? I only want to spend at most 50 bucks on it a day...that's a lot of money for me but if they must distribute it then I'll take a shot....I'm thinking something like 2x2x1x4x1x3....what is a quick and easy way to add this up...is the formula axbxcxdxexf times .20?
Or just use a ticket calculator

http://www.jazzsports.ag/services/ho...calculator.php
mars is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #79
1st time lasix

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
I don't think takeout is the whole story on any bet ever. Despite higher takeout I am much more successful on superfectas than exactas, and more successful on exactas than win bets.
************ We respectfully disagree here. If you are a regular player...and by that I mean you play a card over 50 plus times a year...then the take-out is extremely relevant. I would argue that yes indeed it is "the whole story." If you are more successful with supers...great!!! Then "only" play the venues that take-out less in those pools---Keeneland, Turfway and Oaklawn come to mind. In a place like NY...Tampa.... Parx, or Gulfstream- the extra rake on tris and supers will virtually "punish" frequent players who favor those pools. You simply are not getting the $ return for the high risks you take. Reluctantly ----I am willing to play carry-overs, exactas, doubles, pick fives, and any other pools if the rake is less that 21 percent or so. {wish it was 15%) I draw the line at higher. Every regular player who handicaps should have the take-outs of the tracks memorized and play your "overlay choices" accordingly. There are numerous options. I will wait to full payout day ---before I go near any of these jackpots. Of course I will never buy a lottery ticket nor drop coins in a slot machine either.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #80
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
thank you!
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM   #81
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyQ
My advice to you is if you are willing to play $50 a day (Weds, Thursday, Friday, & Saturday) is to bank the $50 W-F and put in a $200 ticket to Saturday. Yes you're gambling it will make it to Saturday and if it doesn't you have yourself a $200 bankroll for that day. If you do want to play $40-$50 a day you could structure your ticket 1x1x2x4x5x5= $40. Place 2 singles any where you feel confident. Also you can x by $.20 or just divide by 5, whichever is easiest. Good Luck this week

JimmyQ
thank you, both ideas make sense for me...like the $40 bet structure.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2016, 05:44 PM   #82
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
************ We respectfully disagree here. If you are a regular player...and by that I mean you play a card over 50 plus times a year...then the take-out is extremely relevant. I would argue that yes indeed it is "the whole story." If you are more successful with supers...great!!! Then "only" play the venues that take-out less in those pools---Keeneland, Turfway and Oaklawn come to mind. In a place like NY...Tampa.... Parx, or Gulfstream- the extra rake on tris and supers will virtually "punish" frequent players who favor those pools. You simply are not getting the $ return for the high risks you take. Reluctantly ----I am willing to play carry-overs, exactas, doubles, pick fives, and any other pools if the rake is less that 21 percent or so. {wish it was 15%) I draw the line at higher. Every regular player who handicaps should have the take-outs of the tracks memorized and play your "overlay choices" accordingly. There are numerous options. I will wait to full payout day ---before I go near any of these jackpots. Of course I will never buy a lottery ticket nor drop coins in a slot machine either.
I disagree. There are enough factors that determine profitability that you can't assume track A will be more profitable than track B due to lower takeout. I know there have been several people here that say Keeneland is one of their worst tracks despite the low takeout.

By the way, I play about 400 cards per year.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 05:56 PM   #83
Stillriledup
Veteran

There's no 'single' in the mandatory payout day.Gulf drew Saturdays card and it's up at drf for your perusal. I'd suggest getting to work now if you plan on 'investing' in the mandatory rainbow.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #84
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
There's no 'single' in the mandatory payout day.Gulf drew Saturdays card and it's up at drf for your perusal. I'd suggest getting to work now if you plan on 'investing' in the mandatory rainbow.
Can you imagine it rains right after leg 1 and all races become an all after leg 1?? Most races in the sequence are scheduled for Turf.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 06:28 PM   #85
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Can you imagine it rains right after leg 1 and all races become an all after leg 1?? Most races in the sequence are scheduled for Turf.
thanks for bringing up that point. i hear there is a good chance that it will pour cats and dogs saturday. i wasn't going to play it now i am.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 07:03 PM   #86
mrhorseplayer

Does anyone know what the payouts have been on mandatory pay day when the pool has not been hit just before mandatory day?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 07:36 PM   #87
AlBundy33

Quote:
I'm just amazed that five out of the six races are on the turf in the sequence. I understand that most of the races are on the grass to begin with, but you would think in a situation like that they would split the races evenly between the dirt and turf.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #88
Hard2Like

Big fields on Saturday. 3 maiden contests in the mix.
5 races scheduled on the turf. Rain expected as mentioned.
Top tier jocks out of town for big races elsewhere.
As long as it gets to Saturday, Sign Me Up!
Hard2Like is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #89
tcasolo

Rain Friday am, then just 20% chance until Sunday.
tcasolo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2016, 09:35 PM   #90
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
The "jockeys' can refuse to ride due to UNSAFE TURF CONDITIONS and they can make all the races All's!

In fact they ought to Eric cancel Fridays card so the jocks can set up their tickets for Jeff saturday!!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply