Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #61
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Or that it didn't crash at all.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #62
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk
Or that it didn't crash at all.
I've been trying to stop myself from suggesting this, but it has crossed my mind.
Hijacked - not crashed
Old 03-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #63
HUSKER55

Flatline,

I have been thinking along those lines except I don't think it crashed. I think some terrorist are about to deliverer a surprise.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #64
_______
Veteran

I can see this is going to be a conspiracy gold mine.

Maybe a flying saucer captured it.

Crashing on land is a barely semi-legitimate possibility. The idea that a 777 is secretly being held somewhere is a fevered dream.

Last edited by _______; 03-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #65
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Even If they turn off the transponder, it still shows as a radar contact.

The transponder ID's the aircraft. But the controllers would notice it turned off almost immediately. But they could still track the airplane until it got down low or went into a gap in the radar coverage. Very few gaps exist and I have not heard that is the case.

I did hear the Travel agent who bought the tickets for the stolen passports was an Iranian travel agent. They were paid with cash, one way tickets.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 04:37 PM   #66
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Even If they turn off the transponder, it still shows as a radar contact.

The transponder ID's the aircraft. But the controllers would notice it turned off almost immediately. But they could still track the airplane until it got down low or went into a gap in the radar coverage. Very few gaps exist and I have not heard that is the case.

I did hear the Travel agent who bought the tickets for the stolen passports was an Iranian travel agent. They were paid with cash, one way tickets.
There are many gaps in radar coverage including where this plane disappeared.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #67
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
There are many gaps in radar coverage including where this plane disappeared.
That could very well be true, however, I thought the initial reports stated the aircraft disappeared from RADAR. Could it have been a transponder signal ceasing instead? Reporters might not have differentiated between the two.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #68
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
That could very well be true, however, I thought the initial reports stated the aircraft disappeared from RADAR. Could it have been a transponder signal ceasing instead? Reporters might not have differentiated between the two.
A transponder transmits an identifying signal. Turning it off would not make a plane disappear from radar.

Disappearing from radar happens all the time when a plane flies outside of the specific range of a specific radar station. And planes do fly outside the range of all radar at times.

Until there is more information, everyone should just relax.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #69
ArlJim78

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______
A transponder transmits an identifying signal. Turning it off would not make a plane disappear from radar.

Disappearing from radar happens all the time when a plane flies outside of the specific range of a specific radar station. And planes do fly outside the range of all radar at times.

Until there is more information, everyone should just relax.
relax about what? what difference does it make that planes may disappear from radar at times, while in flight? They don't land without showing up on radar.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #70
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
relax about what? what difference does it make that planes may disappear from radar at times, while in flight? They don't land without showing up on radar.
Yep.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #71
DJofSD
Screw PC

OK, so, if during an international flight over water, an aircraft disappears, it's not unusual, how and when does it become a missing plane? When they don't see a transponder signal? When the crew does not respond to a radio contact? When they don't reappear on another RADAR screen that is different from the initial departure location?
Old 03-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #72
Marshall Bennett

I don't ever recall a large airliner that stayed missing this long. Maybe 50+ years ago, I don't know.
The longer it stays missing, the more hope for the passengers I suppose, and the more worried everyone else gets over what happens with it next.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #73
kingfin66
Bombardier

It is quite a mystery. I considered the possibility that the plane did not crash, but you cannot just land a 777 anywhere and it is going to show up on radar at some point. If it crashed on land, the wreckage would seemingly be easier to find and there would be greater likelihood of witnesses. There was an indication that the plane may have attempted to turn around. If this was the case, then the plane could have gone down far from where the search is taking place.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #74
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

After watching the TWA 800 documentary, it becomes harder and harder to believe any official story these days.

You'll be told what they want you to hear. It could be the truth, or it could be a thousand light years removed from the truth. You'll never quite know.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #75
lamboguy

above poster could not be more right.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: