Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
takeout

When you’re a winner, go to dinner

Wonder if Karl knows this guy?

J.S. “Ponti” Campagna – One of Lone Star Park’s most popular and influential regular customers since 1996, Campagna has earned tremendous respect and garnered a reputation as one of the shrewdest and most-disciplined handicappers from his fellow horseplayers. The instant “Ponti” hits his profit goal for the day, he returns to his home in Flower Mound, Texas to prepare for the next day’s races – even if his “best bets” of the day have yet to run.
[snip]
http://www.lonestarpark.com/NewsEven...me04062007.htm
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
karlskorner

Takeout

Simple answer. His "goal method" is his guarantee that he has a home to return to.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
takeout

I hear that. There sure have been many days I wished I hadn’t given it all back.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If he is as good as people say, he has most likely left a lot of money on the table. I used to be one to scale back when ahead to assure a winning day. The problem with that is wins tend to come in bunches. Strike while hot. Go home early when you are struggling.

What happens when, heaven forbid, he has a losing day. I know this is probably not possible in Karland, but what about the other guy?

Last edited by cj; 04-25-2007 at 01:35 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
What happens when, heaven forbid, he has a losing day.
He stays late?
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameTheory
He stays late?
We can only guess, as we never hear about those.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #7
DanG
Easy Goer

I know this has been discussed many times, but it is one of the worst approaches to investing there is IMO.

Many have talked about the reasons for this, myself included…but…. If you become so psychologically wrecked by each individual losing day then the approach may have merit for you. How a long term player draws daily or in this case race by race conclusions would drive me insane, but to each his own.

As I’ve said before, and I feel the analogy rings true. In my family’s restaurants we had goals for turning tables and avg. ticket size. To think we would shut the doors 2 hours prior to closing because a preconceived “goal” was met is nonsense.

The time any good player I’ve known cuts off their daily action is when they become out of touch with what’s currently winning. If you have a profile in mind and it suits your strengths…then the track suddenly changes drastically and you lack confidence adjusting, step back and evaluate.

As CJ said…money in this game often comes in bunches and to impose limits on your “bunches” will only adversely effect your net long term.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
karlskorner

The answer is simple again. He has been doing this since 1996, thats 11 years. I am going to "assume" there is no Company or Government check deposited in his checking account to cover his daily expenses, therefore give the man his credit due. He met his "goal", paid his bills and awaits tomorrow.

Last edited by karlskorner; 04-25-2007 at 12:03 PM.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
DanG
Easy Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlskorner
The answer is simple again. He has been doing this since 1996, thats 11 years. I am going to "assume" there is no Company or Government check deposited in his checking account to cover his daily expenses, therefore give the man his credit due. He met his "goal", paid his bills and awaits tomorrow.
Karl my friend, I for one would never deny a winning player credit, but this portion of his approach is open for discussion.

If I type when a topic is discussed I can only give my perspective. It’s certainly not for everyone and in this mans case he has found what works for him. As you say he certainly deserves all the credit for that.

BTW Karl…Do you ever frequent the roof top section of the clubhouse at Calder? If so is a character named “Marvin” still there chasing the “stupers” away? He always wore the same style, almost medical shirt (dark brown) Just curious, I haven’t been to Calder in a while.
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
takeout

This is an issue that I’ve waffled on many times and still wrestle with.
Right now I’m leaning more towards the Karl camp but have definitely seen the door swing both ways. Both sides of the discussion have very good points. Personally a hit seems to loosen me up a little too much and I tend to get aggressive and sometimes give it all back very quickly if I think I know what’s going on. As it turns out, I seldom do.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
In my family’s restaurants we had goals for turning tables and avg. ticket size. To think we would shut the doors 2 hours prior to closing because a preconceived “goal” was met is nonsense.
Dan,

Your analogy illustrates the point beautifully. This guy's method seems to assume that the probability of winning declines after a win/wins. Absolutely not true. Perhaps he finds that he bets less carefully when ahead, and if that's the case, there may be merit in what he's doing. Otherwise, the laws of probabilities do not support this method.
He could very well be successful for a number of other reasons, but if so, it would be in spite and not because of this methodolgy.
If a winning horseplayer says he has a "lucky hat", I'd look for other aspects of his handicapping before trying to copy his headwear.

Bob
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 03:31 PM   #12
JPinMaryland

If you are going to quit when you meet your goal what is the pt. of going to the track the next day? You met your goal, you quit. What is the pt. of going back there?
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
SMOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
If you are going to quit when you meet your goal what is the pt. of going to the track the next day? You met your goal, you quit. What is the pt. of going back there?
So you have the chance to quit again.

Maybe he should go to rehab, since rehab is for quitters.
SMOO is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM   #14
Bill Olmsted

Each race is an indepentant event. The results of one race has absolutely nothing to do with the next.
Bill Olmsted is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #15
speedking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
I know this has been discussed many times, but it is one of the worst approaches to investing there is IMO.

The time any good player I’ve known cuts off their daily action is when they become out of touch with what’s currently winning. If you have a profile in mind and it suits your strengths…then the track suddenly changes drastically and you lack confidence adjusting, step back and evaluate.

As CJ said…money in this game often comes in bunches and to impose limits on your “bunches” will only adversely effect your net long term.
Excellent advice from 2 very sharp guys

speedking
speedking is offline   Reply With Quote Reply