Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #1
shoelessjoe

HTR

I know this has been covered in the past and sorry for the repetition.But I would like to see any comments from people that are using this program.I have used MPH in the past that Ken was invovled with and was pleased.The only negative I have is spending the $119 for the data because basically Im only a weekend player.But from what I have been reading on his site Im impressed with it. Shoeless
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 06:39 AM   #2
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Shoeless,

How much do you bet on the weekends?

It is worth it ($119) depending on who you are really, and what do with it.

In my case, I've made the choice to make HTR work for me, with the firm belief that I'll get my money back - and more - eventually. I've tried MANY other programs and data sources before starting there in August 2001, and I'm still there. That should tell you something.

Last edited by Buckeye; 07-24-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 09:57 AM   #3
shoelessjoe

Maybe about 200 but dont play every weekend
Old 07-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
GR1@HTR

Look at the $119/month as a tuition payment to towards advanced handicapping self study classes… and the downloads as a bonus.
GR1@HTR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #5
ryesteve

Well, let's do the math. Let's say you play 3 weekend a month. That's $600 in bets a month. I'm not sure if you're a one-track player or a simulcast player, but lets say for argument's sake that in those 3 weekends you'd have needed 30 data files. If you were using a program that let you download BRIS files, that's $30... so the HTR downloads would cost you an extra $89 a month... which means you'd have to increase your ROI by about 15% in order to cover it. Contingent on your level of success now, that doesn't sound like an unreasonable expectation.
ryesteve is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 11:37 AM   #6
shoelessjoe

I concentrate on 2 to 3 tracks.It's too bad that none of these programs have a weekend rate but I guess they have to make money too. Jeff
Old 07-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #7
hurrikane

It really depends on your style of play. But don't limit yourself. When I started iwth HTR I played about 2 - 4 days a week. the 119 was hard to justify.

I now play everyday. Very automated process with good returns. All in all it takes me about 20 minutes depending on how cooperative pinnacle is.

When I have the time and sit down and play races for entertainment I have a great piece of software. The added perks is it has allowed me to increase my churn rate exponentially without undue stress on my time limitations.
that spells $$$

So for me it worked out well. And you could likely do it with many other programs you have heard of up here. I would'nt get too wrapped up in the money. Unless you don't ever see yourself getting that involved in racing.

The one intangible is that you will get to work with some of the most experienced, successful, innovated people in handicapping today. On a personal level. 119 for that is dirt cheap.

Last edited by hurrikane; 07-24-2005 at 11:55 AM.
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 12:45 PM   #8
shoelessjoe

I have been playing the nags now for over 30 years so I would say Im wrapped up in it.I also wanted to know how the users found the program is working for them.Thanks for the reply. Shoeless
Old 07-24-2005, 02:56 PM   #9
midnight

HTR is the only software I use besides my own. Besides pace info, there's a lot of other things under the hood, much of it proprietary to HTR or its data supplier HDW: speed figures, class figures, 'sheets' type figures, composite (power) ratings, performance ratings, pedigree information, workout ratings, trainer/jockey information, trainer-situational information, horse-for-course/surface information, race volatility indexes to determine if the race is more or less likely to produce a longshot, etc. For pace, HTR is loaded with different varieties (Quirin, FPS, its own "Impact" values, etc.). It also is compatible with the tote monitoring program "At the Races" and will import up to the minute web-tote odds to a screen. For past performances, HTR has different layouts to view or print.

As far as whether it's worth it, that depends. If you're playing $1,000 a month, and HTR improves your ROI by 10%, you'll be $100 better off (even if that means you lose $100 less than you would normally), which would probably pay for the software over what BRIS/DRF wants.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The neat thing about HTTR is that you can check out every track running and see where something is winning right now and then go play that. I used to just automaticallly start 'capping NYRA and California every weekend. Now, I look for tracks where something is happening that is profitable short term and go there. Youcould fool me if you told me that Belmont has had short fields - I have seen no evidence that Belmont is worth looking at this season - nothing looks good in the robot so I don't look at Belmont.

I got "well" at Oklawn early this season - playing top 2 SP horses in just about everything was paying big bucks. The weekend that it looked like it was no longer a gold mine and I was off to Calder for a couple weekends. Next weekend? I have no idea where I'll be playing. I'll know Friday night, then I will download the track profiles for that track(s) and become a regualr - until the golden goose flies away.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #11
Nickle
Veteran

I do think there should be a $10 fee if you want it per day as more guys would use it and you would get more weekend players.
Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-25-2005, 08:19 AM   #12
DanG
Easy Goer

Shoelessjoe,

(A reply I posted a couple weeks ago on the HTR board applies here. (most of it anyway) In the interest of time, I’ll just cut & paste)

I am a “newbie” to HTR like yourself (about 4-months) and the learning curve is very swift. There are many several year members who can attest to HTR’s effectiveness and more importantly offer advice.

At about $3.84 a day, it is the greatest information buy this side of the Wall Street Journal. One regional hard copy of the Racing Form is more than we pay for all of
North America! Unlike the Racing Form your inquiries are answered directly by actual users and often by the “actual” owner and staff.

This is a great time to start. You will be able to download (approximately) the last three months of files and have the meat of the racing season to evaluate. Del Mar, Saratoga etc…

My sincere recommendation is to start this weekend. Download all past files available. Learn all you can between this weekend and the Breeders Cup and ask yourself if it’s for you. You will be amazed at the product and equally impressed with the help members and ownership provide.

“Go directly to HTR…Do not pass go, Do collect $119.00 and join!!!
~ George Bernard Shaw
DanG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 AM   #13
midnight

I believe that Handicapper's Data Warehouse (HDW, the data supplier for HTR and a lot of other programs) has an arrangement with Equibase that only allows them to sell datafiles on a full-month, per-vendor basis. In other words, if you donwnload one HTR file in a calendar month, you pay for the month for HTR, if you download one Netcapper file, you pay for the month for Netcapper, if you downloaded one of each, you'd pay for both products for that month, etc.
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2005, 05:49 PM   #14
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Hey Dan,

Maybe we shouldn't encourage them.

I agree with your sentiment and analysis, but if HTR is really that good and they join us, it will only dilute the prices, unless the new recruits add value to the equation, which is possible.

I guess I agree they should come join us, why not?
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #15
andicap

I love HTR -- and will happily discuss it if you email me -- For me having Ken make custom programs for me made all the difference. HTR handicaps a race the way I handicap now...