Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
Valuist

Northern California fairs

Any in particular worth checking out? I'll be out that way in August. Always thought there could be some opportunities for speed horses who tire on the Tapeta at GG to get loose and wire on real dirt.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
freehouse2002

I've only been to pleasanton a few years ago, but it was a really good time. If you are in the bay area in early August, they will be at Santa Rosa which I hear is supposed to be the nicest of the fairs. Its about an hour from SF. Otherwise, GGF has a short summer meet sandwiched in from about the 2nd week of August til the end of the month. Ferndale runs the latter part of the month, but is pretty far up CA. I'm hoping to make it up to Santa Rosa this year myself.

freehouse2002
freehouse2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehouse2002
I've only been to pleasanton a few years ago, but it was a really good time. If you are in the bay area in early August, they will be at Santa Rosa which I hear is supposed to be the nicest of the fairs. Its about an hour from SF. Otherwise, GGF has a short summer meet sandwiched in from about the 2nd week of August til the end of the month. Ferndale runs the latter part of the month, but is pretty far up CA. I'm hoping to make it up to Santa Rosa this year myself.

freehouse2002
Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:11 PM   #4
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

If you want to see something unique, which could disappear in the not too distance future, then Ferndale is your place.

Their DIRT track is a tight-turned 1/2 mile oval. Speed is king, particularly the 5f races. Each race day card has at least 1 pari-mutuel mule race (typically 3f), and Past Performance running lines (with a "Speed Index") are included in the racing program.

They also have some simulcasting (Sar+Dmr+??), at least when I was there about 17 years ago, and a very nice agricultural fair to walk around.

The race meet's signature race is the Humboldt County Marathon, which is held the last day of racing. It is 1 5/8 miles, so the fourth time to the finish line is the end. When I was there, the purse was something like $10K. Last time I remember reading the results charts it was $30K, which is a nice sweetener to get some nice horses to ship in.

One of Ferndale's biggest challenges is to get some of their racing dates to be exclusive, meaning no other Northern CA track like GG are running at the same time. When successful, exclusivity helps their handle TREMENDOUSLY. When not, handle is much lower, and, they find it harder to get horses when GG is running and carding races for the same level of horses (e.g. $4,000 claimers.).

It does not help either that Ferndale is viewed as the step child that no one wants or cares about, particularly at California Horse Racing Board meetings when race dates are submitted and subsequently approved. "Racing around a 1/2 mile bull ring track for lower purses just isn't horseracing" is the usual mindset of high level racing officials and owners. Very few seem interested in preserving this very unique racing experience.

No one knows what next year will bring, so I would highly recommend you include Ferndale on your visit list this year.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
Valuist

How far north of SF is Ferndale? Doesn't Cal Expo run t-breds for a couple weeks also?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #6
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
No one knows what next year will bring, so I would highly recommend you include Ferndale on your visit list this year.
While on this trip I was handicapping a race and came across a PP running line with the track SAL. This was from the race meet at Salem Oregon held over something like 4-6 weekends at the Salem fairgrounds. It would have been another 4+ total hours of driving on what was already a VERY long driving trip. Ferndale too was such a nice experience I decided to stay all 3 days.

DUMB!!!! That year (1999) happened to be last one for racing at Salem.

Moral of the story........get it (Ferndale) in while you can!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:35 PM   #7
Track Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
How far north of SF is Ferndale? Doesn't Cal Expo run t-breds for a couple weeks also?
I don't remember the precise amount of time, but it involved constant 25-40 MPH winding left, then right, up/down through the Redwood forest.

Cal Expo does run T-breds, but not at the same time as Fer. All the Northern California "Fairs" have a coordinated racing date calendar, while commercial tracks like GG generally pursue self-interests.

Personally I am also worried about the future racing at Stockton, so I am looking at getting them in on my visit list this year.

Here is a link for the most currently approved dates: http://www.chrb.ca.gov/racing_schedule_2015.html
Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 AM   #8
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by freehouse2002

freehouse2002
This

You will like Santa Rosa.
Nice track - both dirt and turf.
In a very nice part of California - wine country with lots of good restaurants.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
Dan Montilion

http://www.calfairs.com/

http://www.sonomacountyfair.com/race-track.php

Not sure why the sonoma county fair @ Santa Rose is not included on the CARF site.

Been a long time since I have been a full timer on the fair circuit. Though I do dabble. Pleasanton based horses have an advantage, it is the most hourse for course track on the circuit. Angle to watch for, if a horse tosses in a poor effort at P-Town, having been in good form. Simply draw a line through it next out. Many times the track is the excuse. At The Big Fresno fair they used to offer a new truck to the meets leading trainers. Many of the top NoCal claiming trainer will drop and fire at Fresno. Well at least that is the way it used to be.

Anthony Bourdain
Dan Montilion is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #10
Light
Veteran

Santa Rosa is the Del Mar of NC. Lots of well dressed, beautiful women who seem to come out of nowhere to attend the meet.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #11
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Ferndale is about 6 hours North if you start at the Golden Gate bridge. Straight up HWY 101.
Old 06-16-2015, 03:55 AM   #12
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Montilion
http://www.calfairs.com/

http://www.sonomacountyfair.com/race-track.php

Not sure why the sonoma county fair @ Santa Rose is not included on the CARF site.

Been a long time since I have been a full timer on the fair circuit. Though I do dabble. Pleasanton based horses have an advantage, it is the most hourse for course track on the circuit. Angle to watch for, if a horse tosses in a poor effort at P-Town, having been in good form. Simply draw a line through it next out. Many times the track is the excuse. At The Big Fresno fair they used to offer a new truck to the meets leading trainers. Many of the top NoCal claiming trainer will drop and fire at Fresno. Well at least that is the way it used to be.
Three years ago, after several disputes, the Sonoma County Fair ended their affiliation with CARF.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #13
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer
Ferndale is about 6 hours North if you start at the Golden Gate bridge. Straight up HWY 101.
Thanks.

Are you calling any of these fair meets?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #14
bello
Veteran

First Mule racing of the summer coming up at 4:50 ET today at Pleasanton.

Always a summer highlight.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #15
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector
If you want to see something unique, which could disappear in the not too distance future, then Ferndale is your place.

Their DIRT track is a tight-turned 1/2 mile oval. Speed is king, particularly the 5f races. ...
I've bet on Fairplex races which I believe was also a 1/2 mile "bull ring". It takes some time to get used to the way races run. Everyone should just watch a few before betting because it is different or unique as you put it. Horses which have been running at regular type tracks get wiped out on a regular basis.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply