Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
zico20

Health care costs going up

Well, I for one am absolutely shocked by this. I really believed the president when he said health care costs would drop under his plan.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...id=mailsignout

Looks like some companies are going for 20% or more in rate increases.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Well, I for one am absolutely shocked by this. I really believed the president when he said health care costs would drop under his plan.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled" - Mark Twain
Old 06-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
Clocker

It's only going to get worse.

Quote:
Ominous signs are proliferating among 22 Obamacare health insurance co-ops of imminent financial collapses that could leave more than a million Americans without coverage, according to a Daily Caller News Foundation Investigative Group analysis.

All but one of the federally funded co-ops are experiencing accelerating net losses. President Obama’s signature health care reform program established the co-ops to provide non-profit competition to private sector health insurance providers.

Many of the 22 co-ops could soon follow an Obamacare co-op that defaulted earlier this year, suffering $163 million in operating losses in a single year. That collapse left 120,000 customers without coverage on Christmas Eve.

“We’re certainly going to have fewer co-op’s by the end of the year,” Thomas Miller, a resident health care fellow at the American Enterprise Institute think tank, told DCNF.

New figures compiled by Miller and Marie-Grace Turner, president of the Galen Institute, show that net losses for the co-ops reached a record $614 million in 2014.

The figure is nearly three times the $234 million in losses suffered through the first three quarters of 2014 as reported by Standards & Poor’s in a February 2015 report. It means that the burn rate for the experimental Obamacare co-ops is quickening.

Read more at http://spectator.org/blog/63146/are-...ncial-collapse
Old 06-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Every family in America will save $2500

[YT="Save $2500"]_o65vMUk5so[/YT]

[YT="Keep it"]qpa-5JdCnmo[/YT]

Last edited by JustRalph; 06-18-2015 at 02:32 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
classhandicapper

It was inevitable this nonsense would fail. It was just a matter of how well and for how long they could hide it. Politicians along with a complicit media can hide the truth for a very long time. The real problem is going to be finding someone competent and politically strong enough to do the right things and put this issue behind us for a long time and in an economically sound way.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:36 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

It seems some hospitals just pick numbers out of the sky. I saw a study (forget where) of costs to visit an Emergency room with nothing but a sprained ankle, the costs varied from $300 to $10,000. I can understand maybe a variation of 500% because of high cost of living areas but over 3,000%, give me a break. I had a heart stress test done. I was in the hospital 3 hrs in Richmond Virginia, not exactly New York City, most of it was waiting between two procedures for drugs to take effect or wear off. The bill was $12,000. Waiting for MP to come in here and call me a liar.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Waiting for MP to come in here and call me a liar.
Or stupid for not getting that test done someplace statistically less expensive.

Like Mississippi!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 AM   #8
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20

The very story you linked above explains why this doesn't mean what you say it does. One; insurance companies only have to disclose rate requests when there is an increase of more than ten percent. So if they are increasing rates less than ten percent or lowering them, we would not know about them. It would be like calculating batting averages and only counting at bats where the player gets a hit. Two; the story only refers to policies bought through the exchanges and the individual market. Employer provided policies are not considered. Those comprise a very large percentage of total insurance policies-in excess of 90%. Three; regulators will not necessarily approve the requested increases.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:32 AM   #9
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LottaKash
"It is easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled" - Mark Twain
That is true. I have tried for years to convince you that you are being fooled. All to no avail.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Have you gotten your $2500 yet?
I haven't seen mine.
I got a 12% increase instead.

O lied and you are lying.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #11
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
Employer provided policies are not considered. Those comprise a very large percentage of total insurance policies-in excess of 90%.
So maybe we should have left things alone and instead of creating a system where loads of people got forced off the plans they liked and forced onto the exchanges where companies are going under and there will be some huge rate increases.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-19-2015 at 08:44 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Or maybe we should have addressed health care instead of insurance,
Not thing has been done yet to decrease HC costs.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
jballscalls

I have to buy my own insurance and was pretty unhappy to have a $40 a month boost from 2014 to 2015. I have Moda and according to this article should be expecting a 25% bump next year.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind...l#incart_2box_
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #14
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost
One; insurance companies only have to disclose rate requests when there is an increase of more than ten percent. So if they are increasing rates less than ten percent or lowering them, we would not know about them. It would be like calculating batting averages and only counting at bats where the player gets a hit. Two; the story only refers to policies bought through the exchanges and the individual market. Employer provided policies are not considered. Those comprise a very large percentage of total insurance policies-in excess of 90%. Three; regulators will not necessarily approve the requested increases.
One: this is the federal reporting requirement. Any and all proposed changes are filed with the states and are available to the public.

Two: this is the whole issue. These rate increases are on ObamaCare policies which are supposed to be "affordable" and which have an individual mandate.

Three: if state regulators don't approve necessary rate increases, the insurance company will pull out of the market, resulting in less competition and higher rates. Many companies have dropped out of this market already.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #15
lamboguy

how come its always the health insurance that goes up for this rotten overpriced healthcare that is full of nothing but quacks and drug pushers?

i find it interesting that a big portion for the cost of healthcare is insurance for malpractice. i do get it that people need to sue these health care providers to keep them in some type of lose order.

like everything else in this country the healthcare system is a mess and is bringing us all down.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply