Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #46
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Whatever happened to Phil Salzman who used to call the Calder races? A very underrated announcer.
He got started in his 40's and retired at 67 about 10 years ago.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #47
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
Thanks Vic as you answered my question, my first interaction with a track announcer since I said hi to Trevor Denman on the way to buy a beer at the top of the Fairplex grandstands around 20 years ago. I am in poor health and starting to assemble a bucket list, would really like to hear Bobby Doyle say "Their running" one last time. I am having no luck searching You Tube. Once again you need to get back on the mic preferably at a track that favors speed.
I couldn't let you down, ID. When it comes to "bucket list" items, I have a real soft spot in my heart. I've found what you're looking for, just wait 15 seconds into the video and you will see and hear,"They're running", a few races called by Bobby Doyle from 1982. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did searching for these treasured calls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRBvmuhDLcw
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #48
eddieb

Terry Gilligan Race Call

That was actually Terry Gilligan calling the 1982 Los Alamitos Derby. He used Bobby Doyle's signature "They're running line." Bobby retired one year earlier. I called the winter Los Al QH meets and Bay Meadows QH meets beginning 1981. Terry called the summer meets until the end of the 1980s. That is when I began calling all the QH meets at Los Al. Bobby Doyle was truly great. I was fortunate to meet him when I began working at Los Al in 1977. He had a great style.
eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 03:10 AM   #49
Stillriledup
Veteran

Eddie B! Making 2-5 look like an absolute gift!
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #50
Inner Dirt

http://www.drf.com/news/radio-broadc...bill-garr-dies

Taking a trip down memory lane I remember listening to his show on Kiev 870 AM Gendale Ca, in the late 70's early 80's. I figured he had long since passed he made it to 98. Anyone remember him?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #51
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb
That was actually Terry Gilligan calling the 1982 Los Alamitos Derby. He used Bobby Doyle's signature "They're running line." Bobby retired one year earlier. I called the winter Los Al QH meets and Bay Meadows QH meets beginning 1981. Terry called the summer meets until the end of the 1980s. That is when I began calling all the QH meets at Los Al. Bobby Doyle was truly great. I was fortunate to meet him when I began working at Los Al in 1977. He had a great style.
Just curious Ed, didn't Bobby Doyle call one last race at Los Al's 20th anniversary on Saturday July 23, 1988?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #52
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
Just curious Ed, didn't Bobby Doyle call one last race at Los Al's 20th anniversary on Saturday July 23, 1988?
I saw an article about that night and it just said he was slated to call a race on that card, so i think its safe to assume one of those races has his stamp on it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM   #53
eddieb

Track Announcers Moving Around

You are correct. We had a race named the Bobby Doyle Handicap and Bobby called his first race since he retired in 1981. He had some popular phrases during his announcing days. I still remember sitting in the clubbhouse when I was in college during the early 1970s when about five horses hit the wire almost together. Doyle blasted "they are bunched like bananas." Classic Doyle.
eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #54
rrpic6

John McGary is heading back to the Bayou. He'll be the Track Announcer at Louisiana Downs. The California Fair circuit is now open.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #55
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
John McGary is heading back to the Bayou. He'll be the Track Announcer at Louisiana Downs. The California Fair circuit is now open.

RR

What happened to Jason Beem?

Last edited by wisconsin; 04-30-2015 at 06:19 PM.
wisconsin is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2015, 06:18 PM   #56
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
What happened to Jason Beam?
Can't say. John said it wasn't planned. He is scrambling to get there by post time Friday.

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM   #57
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
What happened to Jason Beem?
I know Jason has been MIA from twitter over the last few days...I really hope he's OK.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM   #58
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I know Jason has been MIA from twitter over the last few days...I really hope he's OK.
Doing just fine and thanks for asking. After doing the QH meet and living in La for a few months I just decided living down there wasn't for me. So back in the Pacific NW now and happy to be home. People at LaD were awesome, honestly just decided it wasn't for me and they were supportive of the decision. Older I get the more I realize being around family and friends is paramount for me.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #59
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Doing just fine and thanks for asking. After doing the QH meet and living in La for a few months I just decided living down there wasn't for me. So back in the Pacific NW now and happy to be home. People at LaD were awesome, honestly just decided it wasn't for me and they were supportive of the decision. Older I get the more I realize being around family and friends is paramount for me.
Happy to hear from you, Jason. I was looking forward to hearing your calls at Louisiana this year (especially of the Super Derby), but I totally understand and respect your decision. Wishing you the best.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:45 AM   #60
Redbullsnation
THEY SEND IN THE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6

RR
Looks like Denman and Wrona will spilt the duties. Unless Vic comes in.... :o
Redbullsnation is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: