Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Vicky's fast boy in the 9th at Portland Meadows

I've never seen this before, to me, this has to be a first.....vicky is a 9 year old with 45 lifetime starts and today is his first time ever in a 2 turn race. 45 lifetime sprints, and at 9, he's in a route for the first time. Never seen a horse race that many times at that age and never have been "stretched out" even once.

You don't see too many 9 year olds going 2 turns for the first time.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Speed and fade.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #3
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

there was a couple of bombs got me today at the port meadows.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:46 AM   #4
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Speed and fade.
I don't imagine the connections were surprised.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:38 AM   #5
jballscalls

Mike Thompson has owned/trained that horse as long as I can remember and he's been a pretty useful type (14 for 46 lifetime). This reminds me of another horse we had there at PM named Castle Pines. Always a speedy sprinter and then once got to age 8/9 they decided to stretch him out and he had great success at routing.

I think sprinting, especially for horses like Vickys Fast Boy who like to be on or near the lead, gets tougher the older they get. My guess is the connections were hoping maybe routing he'd be able to relax and the races would be less taxing, even though they're longer, they'd be less intense.

Also nobody had the Pick 5 today so a $6,590 carryover in Sunday's Oregon Derby day card! $0.20 base wager, 15% take out! Get on it guys!

Last edited by jballscalls; 02-04-2015 at 06:42 AM.
jballscalls is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
Mike Thompson has owned/trained that horse as long as I can remember and he's been a pretty useful type (14 for 46 lifetime). This reminds me of another horse we had there at PM named Castle Pines. Always a speedy sprinter and then once got to age 8/9 they decided to stretch him out and he had great success at routing.

I think sprinting, especially for horses like Vickys Fast Boy who like to be on or near the lead, gets tougher the older they get. My guess is the connections were hoping maybe routing he'd be able to relax and the races would be less taxing, even though they're longer, they'd be less intense.

Also nobody had the Pick 5 today so a $6,590 carryover in Sunday's Oregon Derby day card! $0.20 base wager, 15% take out! Get on it guys!
That's a great bet, 20 cents at 15%. Pool will be ok for that bet too, lets hope they bet it up!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #7
cutchemist42

As a slight aside, but whoever does the website/graphic design for PM is really good. It's a good looking site compared to other tracks,
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42
As a slight aside, but whoever does the website/graphic design for PM is really good. It's a good looking site compared to other tracks,
We (I still do web stories and press releases for PM) used a company called OMFGCO in Portland for website and we have a gentleman who is our IT/graphics guy on track named Bobby Baldwin who does all the graphics.

Here's OMFGCO's case study about our advertising and creative venture with them. It won some cool advertising awards!

http://www.omfgco.com/case-study/portland-meadows
Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballscalls
We (I still do web stories and press releases for PM) used a company called OMFGCO in Portland for website and we have a gentleman who is our IT/graphics guy on track named Bobby Baldwin who does all the graphics.

Here's OMFGCO's case study about our advertising and creative venture with them. It won some cool advertising awards!

http://www.omfgco.com/case-study/portland-meadows
Very cool read, and yeah, he did a very cool design. My gf who's in architecture and into any sort of design also saw the site/logo over my shoulder one day and commented how nice it looked.

I was actually wondering about the horse pictures on the site but the article covered it. I thought they were real photos of horses that were then redone on a computer to make them look drawn.

I think a good website goes a long way because as an internet bettor, a track's website is being seen by me almost every day and I appreciate it not being an eyesore.

Just to add to this, but Hastings this year also did a good clean redesign of their website.

Last edited by cutchemist42; 02-04-2015 at 11:52 AM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

The power of the low pct trainer. Courtown Harbour should have been 3-5 but you got 9-5 because of a 1 for 82 trainer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: