Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #5371
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Your question expects me to buy into your belief system, which I do not. That leaves me the choice of either lying or else pointing out that the very question has a built in fallacy.
You don't even know my belief system which is no "belief" in "theory" or "religion". You keep thinking I'm just another religious dude.

It's the oldest question known to man that I am asking you and you are trying to spin it. It's clear you don't know yourself which is not something to be ashamed of as most people on this planet don't know who they are and it's taken me a lifetime to crack the first door. Any rate that's why we are here imo.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2020, 04:26 PM   #5372
boxcar

Quote:
I'm retired. I thought you knew.
All the more reason to work double overtime to seek pleasure, for your time is very short.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #5373
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Incorrect. You don't know yourself either just like Actor who dodged the question. If you knew who you were you would understand that we (our souls/consciousness) are infinite.
Souls are not infinite; for they are created. Only God is infinite.

1 Tim 6:13-16
14 that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which He will bring about at the proper time — He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords; 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light; whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen.
NASB

And if you knew Jesus, you would know that he came into this world to destroy the works of the devil; for the devil had the power of death until Jesus broke the evil one's grip on that power when he overcame death by raising from the dead. Jesus, therefore, is the firstfruits of the resurrection, but all those who are His when He returns will share in that glorious resurrection by the power of his command.

Reincarnation is a doctrine of demons.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:33 PM   #5374
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
You don't even know my belief system ...
Yet you expect me to answer a question based on it.

Quote:
It's the oldest question known to man that ...
The oldest question know to man is "where is my next meal coming from?"

Quote:
I am asking you and you are trying to spin it.
It seems to me that you are the one trying to spin it.

Quote:
It's clear you don't know yourself which is not something to be ashamed of as most people on this planet don't know who they are ...
Is "I don't know" the answer you're looking for? Well, fine. If there's no shame in that then I don't know.

Quote:
... and it's taken me a lifetime to crack the first door.
Congratulations.

Quote:
Any rate that's why we are here imo.
You are entitled to an opinion.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:36 PM   #5375
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
All the more reason to work double overtime to seek pleasure, for your time is very short.
That doesn't make sense. Overtime is extra work that you do for extra money. I'm retired, meaning I don't work.

On the other hand I do plenty of good works. Which is not the same thing.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #5376
boxcar

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. Overtime is extra work that you do for extra money. I'm retired, meaning I don't work.

On the other hand I do plenty of good works. Which is not the same thing.
Who said anything about money? Pay attention: Pleasure. Work double overtime to be the best hedonist you can be because that will be your own reward before the grave claims you.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:54 PM   #5377
thaskalos

Quote:
You don't even know my belief system which is no "belief" in "theory" or "religion". You keep thinking I'm just another religious dude.

It's the oldest question known to man that I am asking you and you are trying to spin it. It's clear you don't know yourself which is not something to be ashamed of as most people on this planet don't know who they are and it's taken me a lifetime to crack the first door. Any rate that's why we are here imo.
As you say, this is only your "opinion", and this presupposes that you acknowledge that you might be wrong...as all "opinions" run the risk of being. It is also possible that you are wrong, and Actor is right. Or, God forbid...BOXCAR! My question is...since all religious belief (or disbelief) is mere "opinion"...should we defend our opinions as persistently as we often do? Isn't it better to just admit that we aren't sure about any of these religious "opinions" of ours?

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-31-2020 at 06:59 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #5378
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
As you say, this is only your "opinion", and this presupposes that you acknowledge that you might be wrong...as all "opinions" run the risk of being. It is also possible that you are wrong, and Actor is right. Or, God forbid...BOXCAR! My question is...since all religious belief (or disbelief) is mere "opinion"...should we defend our opinions as persistently as we often do? Isn't it better to just admit that we aren't sure about any of these religious "opinions" of ours?
God doesn't honor doubt or skepticism, especially given the nature of His gracious gift of faith:

Heb 11:1
11:1 Now faith is being SURE of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see.
NIV

Even Jesus waxed incredulous when a man seeking a miracle for his son did so with doubt:

Mark 9:21-24
21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

23 "'If you can '?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

NIV
Old 07-31-2020, 08:26 PM   #5379
thaskalos

Quote:
God doesn't honor doubt or skepticism, especially given the nature of His gracious gift of faith:

Heb 11:1
11:1 Now faith is being SURE of what we hope for and CERTAIN of what we do not see.
NIV

Even Jesus waxed incredulous when a man seeking a miracle for his son did so with doubt:

Mark 9:21-24
21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

23 "'If you can '?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

NIV
We can believe whatever we want for ourselves...but none of us have the right to enforce our beliefs upon anyone else. All of us have the inalienable right to hold our own opinions...as long as we don't bother anyone else. When you mock other people because of their differing religious beliefs, and you condemn them to a fiery afterlife while you proclaim your own self as "saved"...all you are doing is upsetting other people for no valid reason at all. You put yourself in the position of judge and jury, while holding up the bible as your "proof"...when the truth is that no-one asked you for your opinion/advice on the matter in the first place. And this applies to non-religious things too. I walk into fast-food joints sometimes...and I see obese people sitting there gorging on burgers and fries...while gulping down liters of soda. Is it appropriate for me to unleash the "know-it-all" in me upon them...and chastise them for the error of their ways...and the dire consequences which await them due to the food choices that they are making? And if I did...would I be telling them anything that they don't already know?

The word "Gospel" may mean "good news"...but in reality, what is written there isn't "news" at all. Everybody knows what the bible says...but many people have rejected it, for their own personal reasons. And that's okay by me. They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are entitled to yours...and they shouldn't have to endure your mocking and ridicule just because they happen to hold different beliefs than you do. Save your "moralism" for yourself.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-31-2020 at 08:28 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #5380
TJDave

Quote:
We can believe whatever we want for ourselves...but none of us have the right to enforce our beliefs upon anyone else. All of us have the inalienable right to hold our own opinions...as long as we don't bother anyone else. When you mock other people because of their differing religious beliefs, and you condemn them to a fiery afterlife while you proclaim your own self as "saved"...all you are doing is upsetting other people for no valid reason at all. You put yourself in the position of judge and jury, while holding up the bible as your "proof"...when the truth is that no-one asked you for your opinion/advice on the matter in the first place. And this applies to non-religious things too. I walk into fast-food joints sometimes...and I see obese people sitting there gorging on burgers and fries...while gulping down liters of soda. Is it appropriate for me to unleash the "know-it-all" in me upon them...and chastise them for the error of their ways...and the dire consequences which await them due to the food choices that they are making? And if I did...would I be telling them anything that they don't already know?

The word "Gospel" may mean "good news"...but in reality, what is written there isn't "news" at all. Everybody knows what the bible says...but many people have rejected it, for their own personal reasons. And that's okay by me. They are entitled to their opinions, just as you are entitled to yours...and they shouldn't have to endure your mocking and ridicule just because they happen to hold different beliefs than you do. Save your "moralism" for yourself.
It’s not his fault. He’s just following orders.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #5381
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Yes...but must the rest of us follow the same orders?
Old 07-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #5382
TJDave

Quote:
Yes...but must the rest of us follow the same orders?
That’s up to you.

I choose to ignore him.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 PM   #5383
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Who said anything about money? Pay attention: Pleasure. Work double overtime to be the best hedonist you can be because that will be your own reward before the grave claims you.
I looked up the definition of hedonist. I think I'm already doing all I can in that endeavor. Where am I supposed to get the "double overtime?" Sleep less? I don't think so since getting extra sleep is something of a hedonistic activity.

However, since your life seems to be devoid of pleasure, why don't you join me. We could go to Reno. You know what Reno is famous for.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #5384
boxcar

Quote:

Who on this forum has "forced" you to believe something you don't want to believe? Provide proof.

And I haven't mocked anyone. If you think, do you know how use the Iggy feature on this forum?

Finally, I don't condemn anyone. I'm only the messenger, not the author of the message. As stated often, on the Last Day the Word of God will judge will everyone.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #5385
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Exactly! Those "orders" are called the Great Commission.