Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #31
cj's dad

Very good stories people !!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #32
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
The good news was that he hit the pick 6 for 24k.

The bad news was that it only got him even for the day!

I don't remember if someone told me that story or I heard it myself on KNX.

Anyway...
Could the story have come from Jim Healy?Thats the kind of wit that he often used on his KMPC sports show.Healy himself was a racetracker,often mentioned racing on his show and went to the track often.In the 60's he owned a few horses with a couple of other guys.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #33
DALLIEDOG

At Santa Anita early 70's upper grandstand watching the TV Monitor during a race was a challenge if the Snapper Man was there --he would root on his horses by snapping his fingers the loudest of any voice --as the horses came down the stretch it would get louder and more often the snapper man --characters of the game.
DALLIEDOG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #34
The Judge

First Of All

I had a soft spot for all the race track characters. There were so many most were there every time I went. One guy we called "Catch Him If You Can" this guy loved front runners and Roberto Gonzalez. He would go around and if anyone asked him who do you like or even if you didn't ask he would say the #3 horse "catch him if you can". He was a nice guy there most week days but every Sat and Sun.

I played Golden Gate and Bay Meadows there was a small Phillipinoe man who would stand on the bench outside near the rail and curse Russel Baze during his whole ride. He wouldn't stop until after Baze had left the track. I never saw him with a ticket so I watched him real close one day he did bet but not all the races that Baze was in. Only saw him at Bay Meadows

This guy was funny everybody loved him. I'm sure many wanted to curse Russel.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
An on track bookie who gave back 10 points if you lost named Woody used to hang at Woodbine between being barred. Used to disguise himself with a sun hat and sun glasses. Always came into the track at peak times.
I got word he died a month ago in Vegas.

There was also an old lady stooper who was faster than Speedy Gonzalez as I found out once at Greenwood. She used to go around with bags full of tickets, and spent her hours away from the track checking them. That was her job.

And lets not forget the mental patient at Greenwood who would continuously talked to himself and freaked out anyone who didn't know him. He was funny too. Used to say things like "once had an Edsel, wrapped it around a pole, now it is a pretzel."
He would ride the streetcars as well.
There were rumours he once had a good business and lost that and his wife to the track. Couldn't confirm that though.

There used to be a guy that hung outside of Diamonds steakhouse across from Greenwood,This poor guy used to sit on a ironing board with wheels as he didnt have any legs,He would shout Racing Forms get your racing forms,We used to sneakup to him and push him down the road on his little board,He was a mean fellow and had the biggest hands and would pinch you so hard when he caught you. I got him mad at me one day and he chased me on his board all the way across the street.He never caught me as his little board got caught in the streetcar tracks..It was the fun at the time but over the years I still feel guilty for teasing him..He died on the corner in front of Diamonds steakhouse one cold sring day selling his forms.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLIEDOG
At Santa Anita early 70's upper grandstand watching the TV Monitor during a race was a challenge if the Snapper Man was there --he would root on his horses by snapping his fingers the loudest of any voice --as the horses came down the stretch it would get louder and more often the snapper man --characters of the game.
Was this a deep voice Black Man who loved to root for Whittingham and Shoemaker and answered to the nickname of "Ace"?

Sounds like "Ace".
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #37
ManeMediaMogul

[QUOTE=toetoe]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManeMediaMogul
Vince Edwards was an asshole who thought he was special.

/QUOTE]

All my sources agree, but according to William Murray and others, Martin Ritt was the most miserable, obnoxious character ever. Why single out Vince ?

Sincerely,

Sam Jaffe
I think Bill Murray really liked Marty. He could be salty be he could also be the sweetest guy in the world. He was always gracious to my wife, my father and my kids. He didn't suffer fools but he was very entertaining as a rule and Bill and I spent many a wonderful Del Mar afternoon listening to his schtick.

Vince once pushed (literally) my wife out of line because he was gonna get shut out. He never showed anyone any respect in my presence. Maybe he was different with you.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #38
ManeMediaMogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
Could the story have come from Jim Healy?Thats the kind of wit that he often used on his KMPC sports show.Healy himself was a racetracker,often mentioned racing on his show and went to the track often.In the 60's he owned a few horses with a couple of other guys.
"IS IT TRUE?"
Old 06-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #39
Spectacular Sid

I used to see the guy from Get Smart Don Adams at Holly wood Park all the time for the harness races...the damn guy handicapped at the window in the turf club like it was his own window and shut me out once on a winner.

Also, Al Lewis (Grandpa from the Munsters) was a harness regular tat Hollywood Park.

I loved the characters who did doubleheaders (thoroughbreds in the afternoon and harness or QH racing at night), especially the notorious Ritchie Fingers (the card shark), who I think admitted to fixing some races for Arabians. He did a lot more than that.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #40
MzDucat

Smile

Three favorite celebrities

Ken Howard (played Jordan Cavanaugh's dad on "Crossing Jordan" a sweetie, fun but a hand kisser so two out of three.

Lloyd Bridges-even in his eighties could make a girls day. Gave me tickets to the Saratoga parties so he'd have a dance partner. A gentlemen of the old school.

Mel Brooks-another sweetie

Least favorites

Mickey Rooney-Lord, if you have to change your bet 6 times in one race, sit the damn race out. And don't come back up to comiserate that the 3rd one would have been a winner. He was lucky that one of the old timers didn't slap him upside the head.

Larry King-Crab, Crab, Crab Could he get a little cheese with that whine?
Used to complain to the clerks about stuff they could do nothing about. If you had mentioned his stuff to the management guys it would have interrupted their golf game. Clerks can't change stuff and management could care less, Larry.

Jimmy the Greek-Colossal pig. Used to spit on the carpets in the club house dining room in front of people trying to eat. A legend in his own mind.

Funniest crowd reaction to a celeb-We heard the crowd booing. Looked up at the monitors and Rush Limbaugh was awarding the trophy. When he heard the crowd he stretched his arms out, basking in their derision. Half the tellers had no clue who he was.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:56 AM   #41
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
There used to be a guy that hung outside of Diamonds steakhouse across from Greenwood,This poor guy used to sit on a ironing board with wheels as he didnt have any legs,He would shout Racing Forms get your racing forms,We used to sneakup to him and push him down the road on his little board,He was a mean fellow and had the biggest hands and would pinch you so hard when he caught you. I got him mad at me one day and he chased me on his board all the way across the street.He never caught me as his little board got caught in the streetcar tracks..It was the fun at the time but over the years I still feel guilty for teasing him..He died on the corner in front of Diamonds steakhouse one cold sring day selling his forms.
How long ago was this?
Old 06-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #42
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cangamble
How long ago was this?
The year was 1969
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #43
Cangamble
Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
The year was 1969
I was 8 back then. But I was a regular at Greenwood thanks to my parents addiction
Used to hang out in the "little" room off the dining room area.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 PM   #44
Spectacular Sid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzDucat
Three favorite celebrities

Least favorites

Mickey Rooney-Lord, if you have to change your bet 6 times in one race, sit the damn race out. And don't come back up to comiserate that the 3rd one would have been a winner. He was lucky that one of the old timers didn't slap him upside the head.
Amen to that...what a jerk. At Santa Anita, Rooney was always complaining about jockeys stiffing a horse he bet on. Loser. And his pants were too short, like he was expecting a flood or something.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #45
MzDucat

Sid:

He was in Saratoga in "Sugar Babies". He and Ann Miller. Came every day.
We had a party when the show moved on. And you're right about the pants.

Most of the old guys marveled that Ava Gardner slept with him. A Tums moment for the rest of us. Ewww...

3 other nice guys

Eddie Bracken, Josef Summer (if you let him be invisible), and Raymond Burr.
Maureen Stapleton came in a house coat. Looked like she slipped out for the morning paper.

William Shatner-heard stories from the bay next store that were a hoot.