Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Sam Ferguson

Racehorse ownership

Was wondering if any on this forum were ever interested in racehorse ownership.
Sam Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
smokinjoe@bp

they have several owners here.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #3
MonmouthParkJoe

I always was interested, and would join one of those racing clubs. I think most are formed as a not for profit, so it would be for the experience.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
green80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe
I always was interested, and would join one of those racing clubs. I think most are formed as a not for profit, so it would be for the experience.
If doing it for the experience, why not do it where you have a chance to make some money or at least cover most of your expenses.
You would be much, much better to get a few buddies and claim one. I've looked at these racing clubs and cost are multiplied 100x. There may be a few good clubs out there but I have never seen one. The key is to find a trainer with your best interest in mind.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
MonmouthParkJoe

I am pretty sure the racing clubs are something like $500 as being the only investment and no additional costs, or I could be wrong. I look at it more for entertainment rather then be on the hook for all the expenses that follow. Yes, kind of like throwing away $500
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
Sam Ferguson

Well something I would appreciate feedback on is a website that not only makes it easy to have a horse examined and bought online, but also provides third parties to assist, whether it's trainers, vets, or shippers. Take a look and give me your feedback. Racing syndicates are also listed.

Tbreds.net
Old 01-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
Fager Fan
Veteran

Interesting and you've done a lot of work getting it together, but the problem is that few want to buy a horse unless they see it in the flesh. In other words, the old fashioned way. The other sites out there seem to have found that selling online only works for low-end horses.

Good luck to you but I think it's going to be a tough row to hoe.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
thespaah

Two items on my personal bucket list....Sitting in an owner's box at Saratoga.....Getting my picture taken in the winner's circle at Saratoga.....Done.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #9
Sam Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Interesting and you've done a lot of work getting it together, but the problem is that few want to buy a horse unless they see it in the flesh. In other words, the old fashioned way. The other sites out there seem to have found that selling online only works for low-end horses.

Good luck to you but I think it's going to be a tough row to hoe.
Thanks for the input. I agree: most want to see the horse. And of course that's really no problem if you're willing to travel. And you're right, it's the low end horses, that there is no market for right now, that this probably most likely applies to.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #10
chadk66

there are so many ways one can go. I've trained em, owned em, bred and raised em and have one now that I'm breeding/raising babies/selling babies. It's a big investment and very risky. If your going to claim one for 5K you better be able to flush 10K down the toilet and not be bothered by it. If so, it's not the venture you want to get into.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #11
Twin Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
there are so many ways one can go. I've trained em, owned em, bred and raised em and have one now that I'm breeding/raising babies/selling babies. It's a big investment and very risky. If your going to claim one for 5K you better be able to flush 10K down the toilet and not be bothered by it. If so, it's not the venture you want to get into.
I always wondered what the other side of the sport was like. If for example, I claimed a 5k horse, exactly how much control do I have? For example, can I request to the trainer how often and what type of workouts I want the horse to have? Would the trainer listen to me regarding what races to put him in? I only ask because, in a way, the owner of an NBA team doesn't exactly run down in the middle of a game and tell the coach what play to run. In horse racing though, I'd be damned if I was going to spend 10k on horse and only have him stand in the stall between races. I've been pondering getting an owners license (after considerable research) and making a cheap claim. I'm just very naive about that side of the game.

Last edited by Twin Double; 01-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Twin Double is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #12
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Double
I always wondered what the other side of the sport was like. If for example, I claimed a 5k horse, exactly how much control do I have? For example, can I request to the trainer how often and what type of workouts I want the horse to have? Would the trainer listen to me regarding what races to put him in? I only ask because, in a way, the owner of an NBA team doesn't exactly run down in the middle of a game and tell the coach what play to run. In horse racing though, I'd be damned if I was going to spend 10k on horse and only have him stand in the stall between races. I've been pondering getting an owners license and making a cheap claim. I'm just very naive about that side of the game.
there is no real answer to your question. It varies from trainer to trainer. Even if you find a trainer willing to take your input and put it to work, it will depend on how realistic your wishes are. And it also depends on what the horse actually needs. In regards to entering races it's more common for an owner to want to run the horses where they don't belong than the trainer doing it. most owners think they have way more horse than they actually do. so if your a realistic owner, which there are few, you won't have an issue with entering for the most part. Here's my personal opinion on this. If your willing to plunk down 10K for a horse but don't have enough faith in your trainer to do what's in the horses best interest, either you have the wrong trainer or your in the wrong business.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
... If your willing to plunk down 10K for a horse but don't have enough faith in your trainer to do what's in the horses best interest, either you have the wrong trainer or your in the wrong business.

I never had any problem with owners that wanted to be heavily involved. I just didn't want to deal with them. But if you want to do it, there will always be someone that will take your money and let you try your hand at training no matter how poorly it is going.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Twin Double

Quote:
there is no real answer to your question. It varies from trainer to trainer. Even if you find a trainer willing to take your input and put it to work, it will depend on how realistic your wishes are. And it also depends on what the horse actually needs. In regards to entering races it's more common for an owner to want to run the horses where they don't belong than the trainer doing it. most owners think they have way more horse than they actually do. so if your a realistic owner, which there are few, you won't have an issue with entering for the most part. Here's my personal opinion on this. If your willing to plunk down 10K for a horse but don't have enough faith in your trainer to do what's in the horses best interest, either you have the wrong trainer or your in the wrong business.
Thanks for your input. Your response makes sense.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #15
Twin Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith

I never had any problem with owners that wanted to be heavily involved. I just didn't want to deal with them. But if you want to do it, there will always be someone that will take your money and let you try your hand at training no matter how poorly it is going.
Yeah, I could see the trainer seeing the owner as a pain in the ass to work with if he's constantly trying to tell him how to do his job. Especially someone like me who's never even ridden a horse LOL. At the very least I would want to be able to have my input taken seriously as far as Jockey racing strategy after seeing the other race entries.

Last edited by Twin Double; 01-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.