Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #1
Teach

Facta Non Verba!

I had recently entered the 9th grade at a Boston high school. My Latin teacher that first year was Mr. Connors. He would often regale us with Latin phrases. Because we were studying Caesar’s “Commentaries on the Gallic War,” Mr. Connors would spout out various phrases during our Latin recitations.

For example: “Veni, Vidi, Vici” ("I came, I saw, I conquered"). Or, Alea iacta est ("The die is cast"). Oh, there was Divisa et Impera ("Divide and Conquer").

Yet, the Latin phrase that Mr. Connors seemed to use the most was not one that was not attributable to Gaius Julius Caesar. That phrase was: “Facta Non Verba”. Mr. Connors used that phrase whenever he thought, as he put it, we were “blowing smoke.” He’d use that phrase, for example, when we gave him lame excuses why we hadn’t done our homework. Or, why we were repeatedly late for his class. Or, why we had forgotten to bring our textbook.

Well, what does that phrase means? It means: “Deeds not words!”

It is my view that had our newly-elected POTUS been a student in our Latin class, he might very well have heard our teacher call out: “Facta Non Verba!”

Take for example his visit, today, to the CIA Headquarters (I believe you could put it under the category of “Mending Fences”).

Well, it wasn’t that long ago that President Trump railed against our U.S. intelligence community. He even referred to them as Nazis.
Further, DJT went on to say, “They (the media) sort of made it sound like I had a feud with the intelligence community (The master projectionist is at it again; assigning blame to others for his own shortcomings).

Moreover, it’s a fact that President Trump vilified the intelligence community during the transition. It was largely because of “The Agency’s” conclusion that the Russians had hacked Democratic Party e-mails in an attempt to interfere with the 2016 election. Trump would go on to attack CIA director, John Brennan. He said that Brennan was “a leaker of Fake News”.

In conclusion, I believe that President Trump offers up more “waffles” than you’d find at your local IHOP. Yes, Mr. Trump, “Facta Non Verba!”

Oh, I’ll finish up with one other Julius Caesar quote: “Fere libenter homines, id quod volunt, credunt”. "People almost always willingly believe what you want".

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 06:40 PM   #2
woodtoo

Hi Teach.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 PM   #3
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach
I had recently entered the 9th grade at a Boston high school. My Latin teacher that first year was Mr. Connors. He would often regale us with Latin phrases. Because we were studying Caesar’s “Commentaries on the Gallic War,” Mr. Connors would spout out various phrases during our Latin recitations.

For example: “Veni, Vidi, Vici” ("I came, I saw, I conquered"). Or, Alea iacta est ("The die is cast"). Oh, there was Divisa et Impera ("Divide and Conquer").

Yet, the Latin phrase that Mr. Connors seemed to use the most was not one that was not attributable to Gaius Julius Caesar. That phrase was: “Facta Non Verba”. Mr. Connors used that phrase whenever he thought, as he put it, we were “blowing smoke.” He’d use that phrase, for example, when we gave him lame excuses why we hadn’t done our homework. Or, why we were repeatedly late for his class. Or, why we had forgotten to bring our textbook.

It is my view that had our newly-elected POTUS been a student in our Latin class, he might very well have heard our teacher call out: “Facta Non Verba!”

Take for example his visit, today, to the CIA Headquarters (I believe you could put it under the category of “Mending Fences”).

Well, it wasn’t that long ago that President Trump railed against our U.S. intelligence community. He even referred to them as Nazis.
Further, DJT went on to say, “They (the media) sort of made it sound like I had a feud with the intelligence community (The master projectionist is at it again; assigning blame to others for his own shortcomings).

Moreover, it’s a fact that President Trump vilified the intelligence community during the transition. It was largely because of “The Agency’s” conclusion that the Russians had hacked Democratic Party e-mails in an attempt to interfere with the 2016 election. Trump would go on to attack CIA director, John Brennan. He said that Brennan was “a leaker of Fake News”.

In conclusion, I believe that President Trump offers up more “waffles” than you’d find at your local IHOP. Yes, Mr. Trump, “Facta Non Verba!”

Oh, I’ll finish up with one other Julius Caesar quote: “Fere libenter homines, id quod volunt, credunt”. "People almost always willingly believe what you want".
Trump vilified fake news and lies, if you told the truth, you didn't get vilified.

Seems hard for many to understand.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
davew

Hi Teach, you seem to believe what the major news networks are spewing. 0bama could have used your deeds not words lesson, as giving speeches was his best talent.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
Trump vilified fake news and lies, if you told the truth, you didn't get vilified.

Seems hard for many to understand.

Libs can't take the heat.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Clocker

Quote:

O tempora, o mores.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #7
MONEY

All I want Trump to do is to try to make the best deals possible for the U.S.A. and to get rid of CRIMINAL IMMIGRANTS (Whether they are here legally or illegally).
Having said that, Donald Trump will be working with a congress that is resistant to change, so no one is expecting Trump to accomplish all of what he needs to do, or all that he has promised.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #8
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo
Hi Teach.
I watxhed The Resurrection of Gavin Stone tonight, then had a Cajun pizza at Olive Oils afterwards. It was yummy....
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:

Sadly, you are part of the educated class who has no idea why President Trump is so popular. Please read and understand the following analogous vignette with your mind open to understand why those petty complaints (some valid, some irrelevant, some outright lies) mean nothing to we deplorables.

Please refer to this story before you offer up one of your stories. While they are fun to read, it will help you understand why we don't care.

Imagine…

You have been on vacation for two weeks. You come home and your basement is infested with raccoons: Hundreds of rabid, messy, mean raccoons have overtaken your basement.

You want them gone immediately so you hire a guy: A pro. You don’t care if the guy smells, you need those raccoons gone pronto and he’s the guy to do it! You don’t care if the guy swears; you don’t care if he’s an alcoholic; you don’t care how many times he’s been married; you don’t care if he voted for Obama; you don’t care if he has plumber’s crack. You simply want those raccoons gone! You want your problem fixed! He’s the guy. He’s the best. Period.

That’s why Trump.

Yes he’s an ass and an egomaniac. But you don’t care. The country is a mess because politicians suck. The Republican Party is two-faced & gutless. And illegal aliens are everywhere. You want it all fixed!

You don’t care that Trump is crude. You don’t care that he insults people or that he had been friendly with Hillary, that he has changed positions, has been married 3 times, fights with Megyn Kelly and Rosie O’Donnell, or doesn’t know the name of some Muslim terrorist. This country is weak, bankrupt, our enemies are making fun of us, we are being invaded by illegal aliens, becoming a nation of victims. Now every Tom, Ricardo and Hamid is a special group with special rights to a point where we don’t even recognize the country we were born and raised in.

WE JUST WANT IT FIXED!

And this is where it ends up: Trump is the only guy who seems to understand what the people want. You’re sick of politicians, the Democratic Party, the Republican Party, and sick of illegal aliens. You just want this thing fixed. Trump may not be a saint, but doesn’t have lobbyist money holding him back or political correctness restraining him. All you know about Trump is that he has been very successful, is a good negotiator, has built a lot of things, and he’s also not a politician. He’s not a cowardly politician. He says he’ll fix it.

You don’t care if the guy has bad hair.

You just want those raccoons gone.

Out of your house.

Now.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #10
RunForTheRoses

Top O The Mornin Teach

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63a821b98755919285ce1b1e9f395532.jpg (35.9 KB, 46 views)
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
"People almost always willingly believe what you want".
This explains the OBama years.
Me, I'd rather have a nice stack of waffles.
Substance over style any day.
Pass the syrup, Teach.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1939.jpg (6.4 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #12
Teach

This post is in response to Jess Hawsen Arown's post:

First, I’d like to compliment you on an excellent piece of writing. I thought your position was both well-stated and thoughtfully phrased.
Let me state at the outset that although I’m a registered Democrat, I was not one to call Trump supporters: “Deplorables”. In a moment of euphoric exhilaration on the campaign trail, HRC let matters get out of hand. A terrible misstep.

Further, we obviously have different viewpoints. That’s fine. We can, for the most part, agree to disagree. Yet, I’m sure there is – on some matters – common ground. Although I don’t feel I really need to dignify my positions nor, for that matter, do you, I’m not an ultra-“lefty,” a “pinko,” a “commie,” or “fellow-traveler”. In fact, on some issues, I tend to be more middle-of-the-road, e.g., welfare, food stamps, outright handouts, etc.

Furthermore, if you feel that you’re not enamored with my posts, you’re under no compunction or obligation to read them. If you want to reply, that’s totally up to you. I enjoy reading and considering all positions, including yours. I’d like to believe the same is true for you.

On another note, Jesus used parables in the canonical gospels. It was his way of getting his message across. Stories that brought his religious points of view into focus. They’re quite like similes and metaphors. Before anybody gets bent out of shape, I’m not comparing myself to Jesus in any way, shape or form. Yet, in a way, I like to use educational parables to get my larger message across. My classroom experiences, both as a teacher and a student, are the vehicles for my broader expressions of opinion.

A second point: We’re not the monolithic country we once were (“we don’t even recognize the country we were born and raised in)”. When I was a boy growing up in the 1940s and 50s, I lived in a Boston neighborhood that I thought would never change, but, over the years, it did. I yearn for the “good ole days” and occasionally take rides into my old “stomping ground”. But the neighborhood has changed. I’ve moved on and have accepted the fact. More and more, as the years go by, we’ve become a multi-ethnic country. I feel that some folks would like to turn the clock back. I believe that’s nigh impossible.

Further, you talk about being “invaded by illegal aliens”. In my opinion, you seem to be conveying a theme that foreigners are not welcome. Is it because they’re taking away jobs? That they’re moving up the socio-economic ladder and displacing some “older-stock” Americans?

Furthermore, I would tend to believe that many members on this forum had grand-parents or great-grandparents who, at one time, were foreigners, newcomers to this wonderful country of ours. In some cases, they faced a lot of prejudice. Many, many newcomers, in own their way, contributed their intellect, sweat, and stamina to make this country great.

Finally, it’s not the message I’m so opposed to, it’s the messenger. This ain’t, as my U.S. Navy uncle used to say, “Any port in a storm!” There are many qualified conservative Republicans (too late now) I’d prefer over our current POTUS. For one, Vice-President Mike Pence. There are others. It’s not just DJT’s arrogance and bombast; it’s all about his temperament. It’s a temperament that sends shivers down my spine. No, this is not about me. It’s all about my children and grand-children. I duly hope I’m wrong. In fact, I’d welcome being wrong. But, on that matter, only time will tell.

In conclusion, I’d like to thank you for your response to my “Facta Non Verba” post. I look forward to reading your other contributions.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
woodtoo

Hi Teach I loved your response very much. You didn't sound so much like...
a teacher.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
I watxhed The Resurrection of Gavin Stone tonight, then had a Cajun pizza at Olive Oils afterwards. It was yummy....
How was the movie?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:

First, I’d like to compliment you on an excellent piece of writing.
Sarcastic or gullible?

Quote:
Further, you talk about being “invaded by illegal aliens”. In my opinion, you seem to be conveying a theme that foreigners are not welcome. Is it because they’re taking away jobs? That they’re moving up the socio-economic ladder and displacing some “older-stock” Americans?

Furthermore, I would tend to believe that many members on this forum had grand-parents or great-grandparents who, at one time, were foreigners, newcomers to this wonderful country of ours. In some cases, they faced a lot of prejudice. Many, many newcomers, in own their way, contributed their intellect, sweat, and stamina to make this country great.

How do you leap from objection to illegal aliens to "foreigners are not welcome"?

I can't speak for others, but my ancestors who immigrated here did so legally.

There are a lot of people who want to immigrate to the US. They apply, wait their turn, and follow the rules. Those are the ones that are good for the country.