Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #1
MonmouthParkJoe

NYNY Double

I was taking a look over the PPs last night for the the big A and noticed the NYNY double starting in race 3 today. First half of the double consists of the 3rd race at Aqueduct and the 5th race at Yonkers. I like the idea of trying to get some interest from the harness folk and vice versa, but also had me questioning how many t bred people can even read or handicap a harness race.

It looks to be offered on Sundays when Yonkers has their day card. Handled about $3,800 last weekend.

Anyone play this? I know I will, but I also play harness regularly. Curious to see if it has any regular t bred guys crossing over to the dark side. Judging from the handle so far i would imagine it hasnt caught on yet.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
ultracapper

The last race of the day card and the first of the night at LosAl DD didn't do much handle either. T-Bred/Quarters DD. Kind of a novelty more than anything else being that rolling doubles are prevalent nationwide. I think a lot of folks figure they can handicap 2 T-Bred races all day if they want to play a double, so why try to figure out a different set of PPs for one of the races. It's LosAl's attempt at keeping patrons there all day.

The only PPs I know how to read are the T-Bred's.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #3
MonmouthParkJoe

The quarter horse thing is something I cannot handicap to save my life. The extent of my knowledge with them is bet the one slot or the farthest outside to avoid traffic. That being said I am pretty sure I have bet all of three quarter horse races ever, all three while working at Rillito

Harness racing has really allowed me to get some insight into race flow and positioning with t breds, but I am not surprised. It is a completely different game, especially when you go from a mile track to the half mile with the circus that is the passing lane.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
thespaah

This would get more interest if the partner track were the meadowlands.
The reason is while generally speaking, there is a definitive bias toward inside post positions on the harness side. That effect is somewhat negated by the mile track. Horses from outer posts do have a better chance of winning.
In fact, posts 4 and 5 are just as likely or almost as likely to produce a winner than post 1/2/3...
With that said, there is more homework involved and of course since players cannot just blast the horses scoring from the cones, the money is more spread out which creates more value.
My opinion based on years of going to meadowlands and betting on the Standardbreds.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
This would get more interest if the partner track were the meadowlands.
The reason is while generally speaking, there is a definitive bias toward inside post positions on the harness side. That effect is somewhat negated by the mile track. Horses from outer posts do have a better chance of winning.
In fact, posts 4 and 5 are just as likely or almost as likely to produce a winner than post 1/2/3...
With that said, there is more homework involved and of course since players cannot just blast the horses scoring from the cones, the money is more spread out which creates more value.
My opinion based on years of going to meadowlands and betting on the Standardbreds.
I agree completely. Interestingly enough, I am pretty sure that NYRA isnt permitted to take out of state harness though, some type of agreement with the standardbred horsemen. I do think it would be more successful just based on the amount the big m handles is much more than yonkers and the mile tracks, esp meadowlands, seems to play more fair.