Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Portland Meadows 2016

http://www.portlandmeadows.com/

I know, no one here will really care, except for maybe JBALLSCALLS and myself but Portland Meadows opens this Sunday Sep 25th.

Just want to make sure you Emerald fans know that as some/many of those horses and connections will be there this meet.

I really hope the 1956 operator, I mean track announcer has improved his game this year.

If not, please call me, maybe I can call the races remotely for you guys

Anyway, I am excited as I like this little track (boy they need to get rid of that thick pole-as they near the 3/16 pole-it is such a nuisance in watching a race). I wish them well and will be supporting them mightily, almost every race!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
barn32
tmrpots

I walked into Portland Meadows one day I guess about 15 years ago and the then owner who was walking out, recognized me and said, "I guess you gamblers all have to get your fix."

The guy was a lawyer (Darrel Lee) royally hated by everybody, (he ostensibly bought the track to try and sell off all its assets) and he just had to make a crack. Actually, I wasn't even there to bet. I just stopped by to see if the place was the same old depressing dump it always was.

It was.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
I walked into Portland Meadows one day I guess about 15 years ago and the then owner who was walking out, recognized me and said, "I guess you gamblers all have to get your fix."

The guy was a lawyer (Darrel Lee) royally hated by everybody, (he ostensibly bought the track to try and sell off all its assets) and he just had to make a crack. Actually, I wasn't even there to bet. I just stopped by to see if the place was the same old depressing dump it always was.

It was.
Very sad to hear that, thanks for sharing.

Main thought that comes to mind is:

We, horse lovers, horse racing lovers MAKE the track what it is. Not track management. WE overcome their stupidity, their lack of respect, lack of insight and lack of love for the game we adore.

Not the case at all tracks but again, my main thought to your story.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #4
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

I am a casual follower of Portland. They often get a few from Hastings after the meet ends here in late October. Maybe we can get some chatter going throughout the winter...
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2016, 12:20 AM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuggingTheRail
I am a casual follower of Portland. They often get a few from Hastings after the meet ends here in late October. Maybe we can get some chatter going throughout the winter...
Where does that awesome rider, who thinks 8 wide is the way to go and poses for the camera (thinking he won) but really lost, go, after Hastings is over?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #6
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Where does that awesome rider, who thinks 8 wide is the way to go and poses for the camera (thinking he won) but really lost, go, after Hastings is over?
This is his first year here, and he won one last weekend!

Aqueduct inner?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #7
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

NY has Chad Brown with 1/3 of a field in a stake and Portland Meadows has Roddina Barrett, with 3 of the 7 horses in the Sunday co feature. A $10,000 STAKE.

I hope Aaron Gryder doesn't ship in for 1 of her mounts

P.S. Yes, it is a $10,000 Stake. I didn't forget to add a zero, it is not $100K. It is $10K.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
This is his first year here, and he won one last weekend!

Aqueduct inner?
That would be awesome! I would love to see Mr. Stewart riding on the AQU inner! Just for the chaos (safe but funny chaos) that he would cause
Old 09-21-2016, 12:26 AM   #9
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Rocco is riding a few - if he rides the meet, he could have a win percentage of 40%
Old 09-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #10
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Rocco is riding a few - if he rides the meet, he could have a win percentage of 40%
I agree. Rocco right now, is my Favorite jockey in all of America.

He could win 60% there. Not even kidding.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
I agree. Rocco right now, is my Favorite jockey in all of America.

He could win 60% there. Not even kidding.
Jake Samuels and Kassie Guglielmino had good meets last year. Thought one/both may try EmD, but both stuck to the fair meets throughout the Pacific Northwest this summer.

Now look what you've done....got me talking Portland Meadows...
Old 09-21-2016, 12:38 AM   #12
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Jake Samuels and Kassie Guglielmino had good meets last year. Thought one/both may try EmD, but both stuck to the fair meets throughout the Pacific Northwest this summer.

Now look what you've done....got me talking Portland Meadows...
HA HA HA HA. You should thank me, not knock me

I couldn't wait for Kubinova to get pregnant. She was the human scarecrow and ended up riding many horses I liked in a race. Thankfully she had a baby

Kassie looks like she's trying to make sure the horse doesn't know someone is on his/her back. I've never seen such a weak rider in my life

Jake is OK for PM.

If Zunino or Matias stick around, they might win a few due to attrition (or whatever Rocco leaves behind LOL).

What did you think of last year's announcer? (just kidding, was trying to bait you into talking MORE about Portland Meadows).
Old 09-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #13
Run Nicholas Run
Veteran

always heard it was a shithole , but i used to go down to yavapai downs, is it worse than there? if it is I can only imagine the welfare recipients that must loiter the property.
Run Nicholas Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Nicholas Run
always heard it was a shithole , but i used to go down to yavapai downs, is it worse than there? if it is I can only imagine the welfare recipients that must loiter the property.

Wait, you've been to Aqueduct and the Genting's racino as well?
Old 09-21-2016, 12:53 AM   #15
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Quote:
Kassie looks like she's trying to make sure the horse doesn't know someone is on his/her back. I've never seen such a weak rider in my life

Jake is OK for PM.

If Zunino or Matias stick around, they might win a few due to attrition (or whatever Rocco leaves behind LOL).

What did you think of last year's announcer? (just kidding, was trying to bait you into talking MORE about Portland Meadows).
Jake sits well on a horse. He is not afraid to move into spots many others won't go - but is not dangerous. He also seemed to understand that gunning it in sprints on the sloppy tracks was a good move (if you believe in track bias LOL )

Announcer? I rarely listen to the races. I'll listen to Jukich at Hastings, because I have for 25+years. Geller at Woodbine, Peter Berry at Mtr, Vic when he is back....not too many others.

I know I'm going to download the form tomorrow....thanks EMD