Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
This ain't Charles Town or Mountaineer... do you really think they wouldn't have paid more had he NOT picked them?
Valid pernt. I sit corrected.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #17
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
Clearly, at those prices, few are paying attention to his picks.

Where's the love?
Real handicappers don't use other cappers' selections
Old 03-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Canarsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Serling's thoughtful analysis of the race is more valuable than the picks themselves.

A first-rate handicapper all the way!
Agree 100% and when he says " I like so and so but not at that price, not for me" its one of the greatest educational lessons one can get to stay in the black.

I don't play the P4 regularly but his comment yesterday has stuck in my brain with other great stuff I try to retain.

Strong opinions get you in trouble...especially in Pick-4s. The idea is to survive races.

Here's the link for all archived chats.

http://www.nyra.com/livechat/index.shtml
Old 03-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
the little guy

You guys are too kind.

Thank you.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #20
098poi

I've always been impressed with his analysis of the game. Aside from this forum the only other place I go to hear him is on At the Races and Beyond. (which somehow isn't blocked at work, yet!) He's usually on on Tuesdays. The thing that I am most impressed with is not his pick's yesterday but the fact that no one crawled up from the mire at the mention of his name to draw him (Andy) and others in to some juvenile back and forth about how evil he is. It can only be described as a miracle.

God Bless Us Everyone.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #21
Kirbyjrt

I like Serling. He will come out and say "not at that price"...

What I've always been somewhat put off by, at tracks, with their analysts, is why aren't their records posted? ROI?

Can we say during the meet such and such wins at 30% on straight win bets or exacta or trifecta, pick 3-4 whatever. Something to validate this person as a so called "expert".

Horse racing suffers from no shortage of opinions. Almost every track’s closed-circuit TV features handicappers offering analysis and making picks. With this being the case, I think it's only reasonable to see their statistics.

I don't pay much attention to them, but it is a little pet peave of mine with analysts.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyjrt

What I've always been somewhat put off by, at tracks, with their analysts, is why aren't their records posted? ROI?
It would hurt business. The casual and first time player would be smacked in the head with how hard it is to profit at this game.

Analysts are expected to provide picks for every race. It would be extremely difficult to show a profit.

Back on topic, Andy is one of the best at what he does. Not for his picks, but for his analysis and realistic look at value. Most of the people that follow racing could learn from Andy. Unfortunately for many, their ego will not allow that.

Jim

Last edited by JimG; 03-03-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
Kirbyjrt

Good point.

I generally watch him if I choose to play AQ
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Vinnie

Excellent post JimG.

Awesome day Andy. I have always thoroughly enjoyed listening to your insights and analysis for the NYRA circuit. Once again, outstanding job sir.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG
Analysts are expected to provide picks for every race. It would be extremely difficult to show a profit.
It would not be "extremely difficult"...it would be VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE!

When it comes to making a selection in every race, the "public's" opinion, as indicated by the tote board, is the best handicapper there is.

No other handicapper can compare...no matter who he may be.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Depends on what kind of time frame you are talking about. There have been many analysts (including Andy) who have shown a flat bet profit over the course of an entire meeting.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #27
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Depends on what kind of time frame you are talking about. There have been many analysts (including Andy) who have shown a flat bet profit over the course of an entire meeting.
Exactly. That is what I was thinking about and why I chose the words I did. I know Andy has done it in the past and I believe Brad Thomas with MTH has done it. Not sure about others. It is "extremely difficult" to do for sure.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
big frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbyjrt
I like Serling. He will come out and say "not at that price"...

Can we say during the meet such and such wins at 30% on straight win bets or exacta or trifecta, pick 3-4 whatever. Something to validate this person as a so called "expert".

Horse racing suffers from no shortage of opinions. Almost every track’s closed-circuit TV features handicappers offering analysis and making picks. With this being the case, I think it's only reasonable to see their statistics.

I don't pay much attention to them, but it is a little pet peave of mine with analysts.
how often do you hear '' not at that price '' on tvg ??? chalk-mark city
Old 03-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #29
JimG

Quote:

When it comes to making a selection in every race, the "public's" opinion, as indicated by the tote board, is the best handicapper there is.

I stand by "extremely difficult". It has been done on multiple occasions, not only track handicappers, but newspaper handicappers as well.

Regarding the tote being the best handicapper. Sounds like you measure handicapping solely by win percentage. I don't. I favor looking at ROI for the picks. Money is what this game is about, not just picking winners.

Jim
Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #30
mountainman

Quote:

Amen, brother. While I do show a profit from the selections I've been posting on the website for about 20 months now, complete meets for which I've been in the black have not been numerous. The public is sharp, and outwitting them by more than 17% while picking every race is just not possible in the long run. The handicapper who can do that is yet to be born.
Closed Thread