Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
CryingForTheHorses
In Front

Kentucky Derby

Wow what a horse this is.This horse won the derby under a hold.He will BARBARO win the triple crown.
My "Bud" longshot stunk the place out.
CryingForTheHorses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
WINMANWIN
Toga Party !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSchell_Racing
Wow what a horse this is.This horse won the derby under a hold.He will BARBARO win the triple crown.
I agree, and Jockey Edgar Prado thinks so also. Maybe this will be the YEAR
FOR A TRIPLE CROWN. THE SKID HAS TO END SOMETIME. Expect a Big crowd for the BELMONT.

Last edited by WINMANWIN; 05-06-2006 at 08:46 PM.
WINMANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
kenwoodallpromos

Agree

Hard torr any undefeated horse! I'm glad that was one I mentioned!
I predicted a Triple Crown winner within 5 years now that certain jockeys are recently retired!
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #4
WJ47

I felt so sure that Smarty Jones would win the Triple Crown. I thought Barbaro's performance was stunning. I think he's got a good chance at the Triple Crown. I was only 9 when Affirmed won and I still remember the excitement! Barbaro is really amazing how he can win by so many lengths on turf and dirt. I was really impressed. Its going to get really exciting if he wins the Preakness too! I know winning the derby amounts to alot of luck, but Barbaro didn't seem like he needed any luck!

I didn't get to watch most of the pre Derby programming because I ran to the OTB for a while and got home just about 15 minutes before post time. I've got it Tivo'd, so I'm going to watch it now. I have to say that I love it when there's a good personal story about these horses. My favorite derby was the one that Unbridled won! Everytime I see a horse running that Nafzger trains, I think of how sweet he was, calling the race to Mrs.Gentor. The Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex stories were great too!

I thought that Empire Maker would win the Triple Crown and I still believe that he would have, had he not had a bruised hoof in the Derby.
WJ47 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Rico8812

He looks great and all, and I hope he does it, but he raced 2 times in 3 months. Don't see him now winning 3 races in 6 weeks.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico8812
He looks great and all, and I hope he does it, but he raced 2 times in 3 months. Don't see him now winning 3 races in 6 weeks.
The way he won, the way he galloped out, the fact that he went out the MORNING of the DERBY, all points to a horse who is not fragile or tired, or lacking in "bottom."

I like to look at it the other way. I see it as a horse who is going to have a lot left in the tank.

From what was reported on ESPN, this was Matz's intention all along. Apparently, he had that much confidence that his horse would be in contention for the triple crown....
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 07:56 AM   #7
luckyguy
Apprentice

BARBARO

what amazed me is that the horse came back not sweating or blowing hard, he looked like he could race again.

i have never seen that after a derby. i also think the cool weather will help him win the triple crown as these very hot days take a lot out of a horse.
luckyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
toetoe
Veteran

The good news is that the TC won't be cheap at all this year. The crop is very strong, and new shooters should appear in the remaining legs. Seattle Slew became a truly great horse, but he beat Cormorant and a bunch of tomato cans (glue bottles? ) in the TC.
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
freeneasy

as far as he looked in the derby

the rest of the triple crown the preakness and the belmont looks like its his to lose
i think the question is is which race will they run him in for the breeders cup classic. i mean wow, what a nice horse.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
surfdog89

It will be interesting to watch Discreet Cat and Barbaro race.............together.......
surfdog89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2006, 11:26 PM   #11
Valuist

I think the worst prediction I heard all last week was one talking head who said it was the best Derby field he'd seen since he arrived in the country in 1985. Barbaro ran great but the rest of the field was exposed. Biggest margin of victory since the 1940s....a hideous longshot gets up for 2nd and a horse thrice beaten by Lawyer Ron gets up for 3rd. The problem was so many horses built their reputations on the lead going slow, or prompting a slow pace and they didn't get it on Saturday. The California horses were just miserable in the Derby and Oaks. A Triple Crown doesn't look so unlikely now. Lone negative I see is that Barbaro was so lightly raced (1 race in 13 weeks) and he ran huge so it might not be easy running 3 times in 5 weeks but based on the opposition on Saturday, he could possibly bounce and still win.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #12
bigmack

The stalking pace and his drop down late speed were clearly evident to many and I concur with PA that he “galloped out” in the stretch. The numbers were bore out in a multitude of ways.

Valuists comments that he faced far lesser is best highlighted by the “Barbaro ran great”. And there we shall leave his effort, let it stand as a performance that was, as Durkin called, “sublime”.

I certainly didn’t have Bluegrass in my calculations though dismissing him as a ‘hideous longshot’ is short sighted and certainly shows little in your consideration for the shear nature of the size of the field and the potentiality of the burgeoning talent. I’d prefer not to go on a PA accolade but I believe in a pre-race post he snooped him out.

“He could possibly bounce and still win” Come on V. Let the possibility linger for a few days before you dismiss his next effort as merely a “bounce”.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2006, 01:27 AM   #13
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
a hideous longshot gets up for 2nd
Whoa, whoa whoa! Hideous longshot?

He runs one bad race and he is hideous? Second in the Tampa Bay Derby, and winner of the Remsen and Nashua at age 2.....

He was 4 for 7 going into the Derby. Hideous? How?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2006, 06:04 AM   #14
hurrikane

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
I predicted a Triple Crown winner within 5 years now that certain jockeys are recently retired!
????
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2006, 06:09 AM   #15
WINMANWIN
Toga Party !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Whoa, whoa whoa! Hideous longshot?

He runs one bad race and he is hideous? Second in the Tampa Bay Derby, and winner of the Remsen and Nashua at age 2.....

He was 4 for 7 going into the Derby. Hideous? How?
Let's not forget BLUEGRASS CAT was the favorite in 5 of 7 starts, And was a BEATEN FAVORITE in the BLUEGRASS.

Last edited by WINMANWIN; 05-08-2006 at 06:12 AM.
WINMANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply