Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:05 PM   #91
clue

Quote:
I live for the profitable 3/5 horse.
Really?

You're saying these are profit generating for you or that they're the hedge part of profitable multi horse bets?

-clue
clue is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #92
Dave Schwartz

There are profitable 3/5 plays and hedge plays at 3/5.

When the profitable ones come up I bet with great confidence.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #93
clue

that's impressive.

thanks dave.

-clue
clue is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #94
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

Dave
$3 instead of 2?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 AM   #95
Dave Schwartz

LOL - Yeah, that would be about it. Then I bet another buck split between the other 4 horses I like.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:36 AM   #96
hurrikane

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilparc
If this works for you fine, but it is mostly nonsense.
If it works for him why would it be nonsense?

I don't play this way typically. I usually generate spot plays, place the bets, go on about my day. But when I'm playing live or doing any type of 'gambling' I will play this way for a few reasons.

1. this isn't my bread and butter. It's entertainment. I don't bet thousands of dollars this way and I'm usually playing exotics. A completely differnet strategy than the day to day. Profitable, and you still keep records to know you strengths, but it is the cream topping, not the pie.

2. fatigue. Most people playing do not realize how mentally fatiguing this type of play is on them by the hour. And the longer you work it the more fatigued you are going to be later in the day. Anyone keep track of their results by number of hours playing. I am sure it will be depressed after a few hours.

OW's type of play is session play. Spac says you stay until the 9th race. What 9th race. Where I am you could play from noon until 1am the next day. Which 9th race are you talking about. When BEL 9th race ends do you stop? there are hundreds of races going into the nigth. OW says he stops his session when he reaches x number of profit. you say you never stop..that doesn't seem realistic to me unless you are doing something along the lines of spot play. find the plays, play them early and let them run from noon to 1am.

Welcome to the board and not razzing you, JMO
hurrikane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #97
karlskorner

Dave Schwartz

Like I have been saying for the past 4/5 years if you hit your goal for the day, quit, tomorrow is another day. You state if you hit your goal for the day, start another goal. What was the purpose of setting a goal for the day ? Do you take monies already won to fund this new goal ?
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #98
Dave Schwartz

Karl,

I wrote about it in an article titled, Off Center and the Losing Game some years ago. The article can be found:
http://www.horsestreet.com/freestuff...ter/index.html

The issue is we are playing a game that continues until we lose, which can have a negative impact on us. We must have a way to win a game.

Think about it... isn't that what you do? When you win for the day, you have one a game.

Granted that your reasons for doing what you do may be different.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #99
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

Dave
There are very few horses that truly merit 3-5 odds. The best betting scenario of all is the overbet 3-5 or 1-2 shot since they create overlays all over the board.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #100
Dave Schwartz

My experience is that there are more good bets at 3/5 than there are very bad bets at 3/5.

We use an A-B-C-D-F scale. I find that there are about 3 Fs and about 5 A/Bs per hundred races.

Understand that this is using our own odds-rendering engine and scale. Your mileage may vary. <G>

Dave
Old 05-16-2006, 11:16 AM   #101
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I agree with Karl on session play. Burn out is a factor you have to sconsider, as well staying sharp all day. What if you are playing at home? Do I stat on the east coast and move west until they are all closed and then download Austrailia?

Point being, what are everyone's goals for the day - play every race, every card? If you are only playing Belmont today, you are setting a personal goal - one track. Karl has a goal of X profit. Not everyone has the same goals in this game. At one of my first Sartin seminars, we were told to write down our "goal" in horse racing. Some goals were to mkae $20,000 this year, or to double my bankroll every X days. Mine was to make enough to pay for the racing forms.

Repeatedly hitting your daily goal goes a long way towards peace of mind and confidence. I assume Karl is playing in the long run, actually - his long run is a series of successful short term goals.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #102
Light
Veteran

This thread has made it clear that different players adapt different strategies to make a profit. Mentioned here are freestyle player,session player and spot player. Each requires it's own unique approach. And each of these categories are free to be manipulated by the user.The misunderstanding is not making the distinction between techniques. The question is which category and which manipulation of that category is most beneficial. Sorry Dave,somehow that 3/5 horse just doesn't bring a smile to my face.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #103
karlskorner

Tom

I think the difference on this board is the "few and the many". The many are those who know regardless of what happens at the track their bills will be paid by the paycheck at the end of the week. The few are those who depend on an income from the track to pay the bills they find in the mail box when they come home.
karlskorner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #104
twindouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I agree with Karl on session play. Burn out is a factor you have to sconsider, as well staying sharp all day. What if you are playing at home? Do I stat on the east coast and move west until they are all closed and then download Austrailia?

Point being, what are everyone's goals for the day - play every race, every card? If you are only playing Belmont today, you are setting a personal goal - one track. Karl has a goal of X profit. Not everyone has the same goals in this game. At one of my first Sartin seminars, we were told to write down our "goal" in horse racing. Some goals were to mkae $20,000 this year, or to double my bankroll every X days. Mine was to make enough to pay for the racing forms.

Repeatedly hitting your daily goal goes a long way towards peace of mind and confidence. I assume Karl is playing in the long run, actually - his long run is a series of successful short term goals.
I do have a diplomatic side but this time I'll be a little blunt and to the point

I've encountered all kinds of gamblers, handicappers, wise guys, know it alls, right down to those that scrounge for winning ticket in the garbage. I haven't met one guy or girl that found a fixed system in handicapping or wagering to make money over the long term. In most cases the guy scrounging for tickets did better, didn't cost him anything to find one. Gamblers are going to do what every they are made of, for example I took in a partner that never made out playing the horses, as soon as we hit a good score what did he do? Well he spent a week in Vegas and he was broke when he got home. Others you can point out what's best to do and if it works you no longer exist, it becomes theirs. That don't bother me because there's something about this game that causes the ego's take over. Heck I gave a guy a key horse in the pick 4, he scores big, but when the story got back to me, I wasn't even mentioned. That's not my ego talking, you can't play this game for so many years and not contribute to others making money, if it's losing you will be mentioned. Yes, I laugh at it all. So when it gets right down to it, it's who you are that's going make the difference playing the horses, don't matter how many computers you break out, how many stats you have in hand or how much time you spend in the racing form. This is one game that requires more common sense, than some elaborate system. ( not that having tools don't help.) When you have common sense it's one thing you'll never run out of, regardless of how old you are.

T.D.
twindouble is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 PM   #105
spilparc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurrikane
OW's type of play is session play. Spac (Spec) says you stay until the 9th race. What 9th race. Where I am you could play from noon until 1am the next day. Which 9th race are you talking about. When BEL 9th race ends do you stop? there are hundreds of races going into the nigth. OW says he stops his session when he reaches x number of profit. you say you never stop..that doesn't seem realistic to me unless you are doing something along the lines of spot play. find the plays, play them early and let them run from noon to 1am.

Welcome to the board and not razzing you, JMO
Nowhere in my post did I say what you think I said. Please reread it. To paraphrase, here is what I did say: make positive expectation plays regardless of how you are doing.

When to quit is a personal matter, and there are many reasons for doing so. Such as: you are tired; you have to go somewhere, you are making mistakes, or you don't feel like playing anymore.

Now here is the most important thing I did say, and please think about it carefully. Setting an arbitrary amount of money as a goal and then quitting when you reach that goal whether it be after one race or fifty races won't guarantee success.

If doing that did guarantee success there would be a plethora of professional roulette players.
spilparc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply