Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #31
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I guess my question is there concerns with the foot for this race?
No. None at all, unless something really weird happens.

A foot bruise, where a shoe has been made to keep it from contact, is not a problem at all.

There has been no structural damage to the actual integrity of his foot or hoof ---The new shoe will work fine, and he will be fine.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #32
clicknow

Justify also does not seem like a "soft" animal, but we have no way of knowing that. I'm gonna guess he's a hard horse who is unconcerned with things like a bruise.

I have had canines who would wail if you just cut their toenails. Other ones, you could nick the quick and get a massive bleeder, or they would rip a dew claw practically out of their lower leg flesh altogether, or get torn up on a barbed wire fence, and they would keep running around, playing, eating.... like nothin' happened.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #33
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I have had canines who would wail if you just cut their toenails. Other ones, you could nick the quick and get a massive bleeder, or they would rip a dew claw practically out of their lower leg flesh altogether, or get torn up on a barbed wire fence, and they would keep running around, playing, eating.... like nothin' happened.
I know what you mean. To cut my dogs nails I have to sedate her with trazadone, muzzle her, and hold her head while one vet tech helps hold her and the other gets her nails. I'm sure she'd even bite me with full force to avoid it. She is a sensitive one. Used to have a dog who was the type where just a walk on side walks kept them short, that was nice.

Do you run a kennel or train dogs of some type?
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #34
clicknow

Sorry, I was wrong about the 3/4 shoe.

Per Baffert Justify has been re-shod in a conventional full shoe with Equilox for the Preakness.

He went on and on, as you know, Baffert can be a bit "effusive" at times. I like one-sentence trainer speak myself.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-16-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #35
Dream_Police

I guess my question after seeing that photo is, is he missing a large portion of that side of his hoof or is that "patch" covering it up, because that is a large chunk if he is.
Dream_Police is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #36
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Police View Post
I guess my question after seeing that photo is, is he missing a large portion of that side of his hoof or is that "patch" covering it up, because that is a large chunk if he is.
He has / had bruising in his HEEL. Per his trainer.

There are different kinds of bruises, in the wall, in the sole, in the toe, in the heel.

Look, some horses are big babies and will not want to put weight on a bruised heel. It really depends on the animal. Like any kind of bruise, like on yourself, there is a certain amount of inflammation. We are not privy to the exact nature of his bruise or even how he got it. |||

Bruises do not heal up overnight. But world class racing barns have access to better veterinary magic than your trail horse, so.......

Per Baffert, it has been cleared up, the 3/4 shoe is off and he is back in full shoes, and horse is working again fine, blah blah blah. The Equilox is for protection.

He is not missing part of his hoof.

it's anybody's guess if this will affect his running after the first 1/2 or mile. We have no way of knowing this.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-17-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #37
clicknow

Again, we are back to "trusting" the trainer's explanation and a certain amount of transparency of information given to the bettor/fan.

I have no other resource than to depend on that. I mean, originally we were told "scratches, or whatever". Maybe trainer had not had a good look yet.

After Justify tested the soggy track at Pimlico today, Baffert said: "I think it's behind us. He had that one day, but then after that he's been really good on it. I'm not really worried about it."

I know for a fact that heel bruises don't heal up in "one day", however, we also do not know how bad it was, or if justify has had heel injuries BEFORE he ran in the Derby, do we? Maybe he had one in the past, and it just was a weak spot that tends to get reinjured. He has white feet, so...

Welcome any other thoughts but my final take on this is that Baffert considers this VERY MINOR.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-17-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #38
Grits

https://www.xbtv.com/video/justify/j...may-17th-2018/
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #39
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
He looks like Justify again
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #40
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post

All he was doing was looking for a fight.

The last thing on his mind was that hoof.

Thanks Grits.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #41
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
All he was doing was looking for a fight.

The last thing on his mind was that hoof.

Thanks Grits.
Had you not checked in soon I was gonna message you!

Thank you!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #42
MadVindication

No hell way, I'm not gonna bet against Justify because of a hoof. I'm not into reaching for reasons. That would be silly. I'm going to modestly bet against because it's fun and I like gambling odds. Any other reason is false.
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #43
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
No hell way, I'm not gonna bet against Justify because of a hoof.
If a sore hoof makes the horse "off in back", I would.

You are never looking at one body part. That is a mistake because of biomechanics.

(Even as humans we know this. I could prove to you with a gait analysis, lets say, when my heel right heel is burning, or my plantar fasciatis in one foot starts acting up a bit.)

Easiest way to express this is how Chiropractors know what shoulder a woman carries her shoulder bag/purse on, as SOON as she walks thru the door, carrying nothing at all.

Horses can be off and still win races. It happens every day. esp. if they are good athletes. It's a call you have to make.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-17-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #44
sammy the sage

All I know is THAT we were TOLD Arrogate was fine...when he WASN'T...obviously...AFTER the fact...so who the hell knows....odds dictate taking a shot against here...we know he's the best horse....BUT....
Old 05-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #45
Tread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
The numbers I posted were on sealed but very muddy, sloppy tracks that were being run on. Pimlico starts back today and it will be very interesting to see what the track is doing. The forecast here is rain everyday but not constant other than today which so far is on and off light rain. The forecast is for about 3 inches between now and Preakness post time . Seems like we will get some everyday. But I also saw where they called for thunderstorms later in the day only, for Saturday. So... a couple of things.

First,( And I know you know Pimlico well CJ but for the benefit of everyone else here) I have to think that the best window to scrape the track was Monday so if that happened, and they rarely skip a scrape for more than a week, the inside should be sweet today. (It poured Monday night and last night.) If not, you know they have not yet done so and hope to get one in before Saturday. If they cannot, the rail would figure to be dead by Saturday. Watching the replays or charts at least if you can't watch replays, will be very helpful IMO.

2nd . Again I know that some know this but for others, Pimlico dries out very fast if it can get some sun which it seems might happen on Saturday. It is on top of a hill ( Old Hilltop) and it always gets a breeze at least and a solid breeze typically. Usually from right to left and right down the straightaways. If that happens, it dries very quickly and as it does, it gets real fast ( at least it used to, pretty sure that hasn't changed). That would help the missing nail in the shoe problem a ton. It is when it is really soaked that the %'s I wrote about earlier come into play. Because they float it when soaked it brings the water to the top and leaves the mud with a little less water in it which makes it have more suction until the majority of the water can squeezed out. It is a small window of time that it is actually more gooey ( about 3 races with sun typically) unless it continually rains and they say that it probably will not do that at this time. Let's watch that.
But... If it gets some sun and a few races over it early in the card that should allow them to put a harrow on it before the Preakness. If they can harrow it for a race or two prior to Justify running, it should be fast and tight, with minimum suction or if they are lucky, no suction at all.

I know that is just enough info to have no idea, but at the same time, at least people know what to look for.
Hope that helps.
The rail was absolutely terrible today, so I'm not sure if you are suggesting it can get worse than it already is by Saturday, but that would be quite a feat.
Tread is offline   Reply With Quote Reply