Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:53 AM   #106
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
I'm not sure that he ever knew in the first place, cj.
The math pertaining to odds percentages, that is.
This type of thing is the norm at Santa Anita.
Is he new on the job? Because it hasn't been that long (a few years) since the Santa Anita morning line was hailed as the standard. I really don't follow so I'm asking, I don't know if this is a new gig.

Has anyone contacted Santa Anita and asked about this? Most tracks are actually pretty open to constructive criticism on things that are within their control.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #107
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Is he new on the job? Because it hasn't been that long (a few years) since the Santa Anita morning line was hailed as the standard. I really don't follow so I'm asking, I don't know if this is a new gig.

Has anyone contacted Santa Anita and asked about this? Most tracks are actually pretty open to constructive criticism on things that are within their control.
Jon White (HRTV host) took over morning line duties a while back.
I want to say it's been 4 years, but it could be more.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #108
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That is what is puzzling. Maybe it was longer ago that the SA morning line was considered so good.

Has anyone asked him about it on Twitter (@HRTVJon)?

I'm just curious why those complaining here don't go to the source when so readily available. I understand the thread, but if people really care or want change, why not ask?
Old 01-31-2015, 12:08 PM   #109
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
The revered Jeff Tufts retired in mid 2009, with Jon White taking over at Oak Tree’s opening on Sept. 30, 2009.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #110
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
The revered Jeff Tufts retired in mid 2009, with Jon White taking over at Oak Tree’s opening on Sept. 30, 2009.
That makes sense.
I wish Mr. Tufts had passed on some of his skills
to his successor. Personally, though, it doesn't
affect my handicapping, or play, there at all.
It's just frustrating to watch.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2015, 01:37 PM   #111
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
That is what is puzzling. Maybe it was longer ago that the SA morning line was considered so good.

Has anyone asked him about it on Twitter (@HRTVJon)?

I'm just curious why those complaining here don't go to the source when so readily available. I understand the thread, but if people really care or want change, why not ask?
See post 56 of this thread.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #112
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
See post 56 of this thread.
Ok, so I would guess phone is the next option. I've had my best success dealing with people via telephone.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:47 PM   #113
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Ok, so I would guess phone is the next option. I've had my best success dealing with people via telephone.
Kudos to valento for even trying.....it seems like their lack of action to his messages speaks volumes about how they view the customer. Customers are A necessary evil at Santa Anita. Unfortunate, i thought they were better than that.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #114
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Kudos to valento for even trying.....it seems like their lack of action to his messages speaks volumes about how they view the customer. Customers are A necessary evil at Santa Anita. Unfortunate, i thought they were better than that.
I checked his Twitter. It doesn't look like he ever responds to anyone. I'm sure it is just part of his job to Tweet revised morning lines and other track info. It isn't very professional in my opinion to ignore honest questions.

With email, you have no idea who is checking a track's email. A lot of people don't even use "official" work emails. That is why the phone is usually the best option. It is more personal and people are less likely to try to blow you off, particularly if you are sincere and cordial.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM   #115
Track Phantom

As we mentioned the guy at Sam Houston with his silly morning line's the other night on their big night of stakes, I just looked at the last at Sam Houston today, a MSW (10th race).

I haven't really 'capped it and have no opinion. But, how could the ML guy make the #1 12-1 in the morning line? 8 minutes to post and the horse is 5-2. Distorted Humor, 250,000 first timer and the public is going to overlook it at 12-1?

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll go off near those odds but it would surprise me.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:11 PM   #116
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
As we mentioned the guy at Sam Houston with his silly morning line's the other night on their big night of stakes, I just looked at the last at Sam Houston today, a MSW (10th race).

I haven't really 'capped it and have no opinion. But, how could the ML guy make the #1 12-1 in the morning line? 8 minutes to post and the horse is 5-2. Distorted Humor, 250,000 first timer and the public is going to overlook it at 12-1?

There's only 4 horses who can realistically win on paper, the firsters who are the 1 and the Asmussen and the 2 contenders who have raced, the 2 and the 9.

Be interesting to see if this Asmussen takes any more real money seems liek a horse won't be able to win off 2 slow works, you have to imagine she has plenty more works that are just not listed. I can't imagine her Jan 14th work was her first lifetime work but i guess anything is possible.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #117
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

I think the difference between White's ML at SA and the SH ML is that the SH guy isnt even trying to get it right. At least White is trying.....and White's ML is bad because he either doesn't know how to make a ML, or he's being told to make the ML equal out to 150% or something like that. SH guy is just mailing it in.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:14 PM   #118
Track Phantom

Quote:

By the way, in the same race, the morning line guy felt the runner listed below should be 6-1 (half of the 250k first timer). 40-1 on the board right now (going into the gate).

Is this a joke?

Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #119
jballscalls

Quote:

random ?? Do morning line guys get access to pps that show the sales prices? I seem to remember them using the pps on incompass/equibase and wasn't sure if those had that info on it.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #120
zico20

Something is definitely wrong here. I made up my own ML for the two big dirt races at SA Saturday. Guess what, Jon White and I had the exact same morning line for almost all 15 horses.

The only minor disagreement was with Alfa Bird. I would have had him at 20-1 instead of 30-1. Other than that, he nailed it right on the head. For all the criticizing I do of the ML guys, I must give credit where credit is due.

Nice job!
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: