Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #1
Teach

Saturday, January 21

Race One:

In this MSW 6-panels sprint, I’m leaning toward “The Outside”. That means: Romanologist. In his pedigree, this 3 year-old has one characteristic that always catches my attention: Roman Ruler. Roman Ruler is a top-flite juvenile sire. In fact, one of the most prolific. Does that mean this horse will win? Can’t definitively say…but the lineage doesn’t hurt. The veteran Mike Luzzi is in the irons for trainer John Toscano. Toscano, by the way, is having a solid “Big A” meet. I should mention that this first-time starter turned in a strong 4-panels work about a week ago. Others: , ,

Race Two:

Palladian Bridge is my choice in this 6-panels allowance-sprint. This A.P. Indy-bred was impressive against weaker in winning by over four lengths. This 4 year-old chestnut filly will meet a stronger field today. Yet, at her best, she can prevail. This isn’t one of those “bet the ranch” types, but this filly’s consistency impresses me. She’ll benefit from any residual moisture on the racetrack. If she can clear – her outside post helps – she’ll be formidable. The most capable Manny Franco has his feet in the stirrups. This filly’s trainer, Randi Persaud, does reasonably well with winners of their last race. Others: , ,

Race Three:

Flick of an Eye chased outside in his last, a two-turn Aqueduct route. This Afleet Alex-bred mare expended all her energy early and had nuthin’ left in the tank for a stretch run. I’ll give this mare “a mulligan” on that one. This 5 year-old now has her regular rider, “The King of Philadelpia,” Liston, LA’s own, Kendrick Carmouche, in the irons. Previously, this mare won two-straight, with “The Louisiana Kid” aboard. Trainer Danny Gargan conditions this daughter of Alfleet Express. Gargan, by the way, has been picking up the pace in recent weeks. Others: , ,

Race Four:

Can You Diggit gets my tepid nod in this wide-open MSW route (if you’re playing exotics, e.g. Pick-6, this might – just a suggestion – be the race that you play “a few”. This Tiznow-bred colt will benefit from any residual moisture on the Aqueduct oval. He finished second in a race in the mud in his last. Frankly, I’m concerned that this colt has been away from the races since late November. Yet, Jimmy Jerkens is having an excellent meet; he does very well with horses that have been on the shelf. I like the fact that this colt worked six panels a little over two weeks. Second time Lasix is another angle. Rajiv Maragh reprises the ride. Others: , ,

Race Five:

Prince Zurs was ambitiously entered in allowance company in his last. This Scat Daddy-bred gelding finished 5th. Now, his owner-trainer, Dennis Lalman, has entered him in a field in which he can be quite competitive. I guess my only concern is that Lalman is bringing this colt right back – with just one week’s rest (I have no stats on how he does in those situations). The gelding does get 1st time blinkers. Lalman is 25% in that category, albeit with a limited sampling. “The Bug,” Rayan Gazader is in the irons. Gazader impressed me in his winning ride. Others: ,

Race Six:

Duettino is my longshot try (either Ernie Munick - “Talking Horses” - and I are geniuses, or we’ll be “tarred and feathered”). In any event, I believe this Big Brown-bred colt has a shot. Toss out his last race. The colt drops in “for a tag”. The outside post will help; so too the services of the veteran Alan Garcia. Any moisture would move this colt up. Rudy Rodriguez is having a solid “Big A” meet. Worth a look. IF he pops, a Pick 6 separator. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

Chico Grande is my pick in the state-bred allowance sprint. This Jason Servis trainee was third in his last after bobbling at the start. This Read the Footnotes-bred gelding draws outside; I believe that’s an advantage. The gelding also has the services of one of the meet’s leading jockeys, Irad Ortiz, Jr. Any moisture would be a big help. My only concern: this gelding has been on the bench for a couple months; yet Jason Servis does well with horses in that category. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

Market Sentiment is my pick in this state-bred OC sprint. This 4 year-old chestnut ridgling has faced better during his, thus far, brief racing career. The horse’s jockey, Eric Cancel, should have this ridgling out and going when the gates unlatch. The potential exists for an upset victory. The ridgling’s trainer, Rick Violette, Jr., is having an excellent Aqueduct meet. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

Ready Dancer is my pick in the finale, a claiming route, n3L. This 4 year-old More Than Ready-bred colt drops in class, today. This colt has faced better throughout his career, including entries in the Grade III Ohio Derby, the Grade II Futurity and the Grade II Swale. The colt’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, does very well horses making their second start off a layoff. Pletcher also does well with horses entered in claiming events. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: