Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #1
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Soil goals related to Dirt Oval Tracks

What are the methods that track equipment crews go about addressing the multitude of conditions that occur on dirt racing ovals...?

I worked at geo-technical lab performing various duties mostly related to heavy equipment cutting and filling grade and compacting the soil, so how the track crew "works the soil" has always interested me...

Do tracks employ geo-techs to gather samples of soil condition on a regular basis.... And send out these samples to be tested against a desired soil/ aggregate design specification?

How is moisture content monitored in a satisfactory manner?

Are there any manuals that address and train track crews on how to achieve their desired maintenance goals....

In the rainy seasons, I've seen the tractors use wood floats to even the racing surface...

I've seen harrows run.....in the warm months water trucks add moisture...etc, etc....

How is this body of knowledge transmitted trackside and across the decades of time....?

It seems like such a specialty as each location has its own unique set of soil conditions to understand and address...

Where can I find hardcopy resources on how to properly maintain a given racing surface....?

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-18-2017 at 12:16 AM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

i thought there was a video out there w the nyra super being interviewed and discussing this stuff in depth, but I can't seem to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNbDzbJksAI
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply