Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #61
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
I didn't want to be a "killjoy" earlier re Favorite Uncle's chances, but from his "way off the pace" last running line, it seemed like he was going to have a tough time from the rail today, blinkers or not.

I've pretty much sworn off making win bets on horses breaking from the rail in sprints. I've learned this lesson at Monmouth time and again. When I make an exception, it's like getting hit in the head with a hammer...lol. That said, "Uncle" made it close at the wire today.

I decided to lay in the weeds, or in this case, the mud, until the finale for my lone bet of the day....$60 to win on the victorious She's A Gem. 9/5 with a minute to post....$4.00 to win. Beats a poke in the eye.

Vinman
Even with blinks, Fave Unc was always going to drop out of it. And the horse did hit a seam and trip out pretty well. The problem was that closers had no chance today, and deep closers should have stayed in the barn.

And the winner was the LAST horse, given his outfit and route history, that you wanted to see on the lead.

Hello 6/5 when Favorite Uncle runs back.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #62
mountainman

Quote:
Ron......Could you put in a request with Mahoning management for some form of advance notification to the betting public as to how many live Pick 6 tickets there are with each runner going into the last race? Yesterday there was the $156.80 winner in leg 2 followed by the 13-1 and 8-1 winners booted home by Jaime Rodriguez. When the 6/5 fave won the 7th, I had a sinking feeling that the pool was going to be scooped by a lone winner if the 5 or 7 won the finale. Fortunately that wasn't the case with the victorious 10 horse at 7/2. I'm sure any ticketholders alive with the 5 or 7 and others would have loved to know if they were alive for the payoff du jour or the whole jackpot pool.

ideally, Mahoning could simply add another will pay screen for the Pick 6 prior to the last race in the same format as they now use for the DD, Pick 3 & Pick 4. If that isn't workable, I can't imagine why announcer, John McGarry can't be provided this info by mutuels to pass on to the betting public before the last race.

It should also be noted that it is now possible to access the Pick 6 will pays via BRIS Supertote for a number if tracks, but this is not the case wth MVR.

It would have been fun to hear how many live tix there were both before and after the $156.80 bomb was dropped yesterday.

"Good luck, we're all counting on you"

Vinman
I'd gladly settle for sports bar TV's to not be tuned to soap operas, and for the three downstairs monitors closest to my table to not ALL be tuned to Monticello. Jesus CHRIST..is that too much to freakin' ask? For Mahoning to be on a few of the FIFTY tvs along the back wall??????? Who's in charge there?????????
Old 01-11-2017, 10:05 PM   #63
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Ron......Could you put in a request with Mahoning management for some form of advance notification to the betting public as to how many live Pick 6 tickets there are with each runner going into the last race? Yesterday there was the $156.80 winner in leg 2 followed by the 13-1 and 8-1 winners booted home by Jaime Rodriguez. When the 6/5 fave won the 7th, I had a sinking feeling that the pool was going to be scooped by a lone winner if the 5 or 7 won the finale. Fortunately that wasn't the case with the victorious 10 horse at 7/2. I'm sure any ticketholders alive with the 5 or 7 and others would have loved to know if they were alive for the payoff du jour or the whole jackpot pool.

ideally, Mahoning could simply add another will pay screen for the Pick 6 prior to the last race in the same format as they now use for the DD, Pick 3 & Pick 4. If that isn't workable, I can't imagine why announcer, John McGarry can't be provided this info by mutuels to pass on to the betting public before the last race.

It should also be noted that it is now possible to access the Pick 6 will pays via BRIS Supertote for a number if tracks, but this is not the case wth MVR.

It would have been fun to hear how many live tix there were both before and after the $156.80 bomb was dropped yesterday.

"Good luck, we're all counting on you"

Vinman
A little off topic but I had the pick 3 that ended with the 156 dollar winner and it only paid 147 for 50 cents...my ticket was 10 bucjs...went 3,5 with the entry with all....2-1 over 7-5 over 70-1. ...the last leg looked like anything could happen and wish I woukd have kept hitting repeat bet but based on the payout it feels like a lot of ppl wheeled that race....
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #64
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
I'd gladly settle for sports bar TV's to not be tuned to soap operas, and for the three downstairs monitors closest to my table to not ALL be tuned to Monticello. Jesus CHRIST..is that too much to freakin' ask? For Mahoning to be on a few of the FIFTY tvs along the back wall??????? Who's in charge there?????????
Mountainman....where is this parimutuel den of iniquity located? Regardless, I'd say you have a bit of pull on the channel selection...lol.
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #65
mountainman

Just amazing that nearest TWENTY (CONTIGUOUS) monitors (to where pals and I sit) remain stubbornly tuned to ANYTHIING but Mahoning. Whether an intentional policy to discourage play on local races, or some unfathomable oversight, it's inexcusable. In fact, it's THE single most RIDICULOUS THING I'VE EVER SEEN AT A RACETRACK.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #66
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
...In fact, it's THE single most RIDICULOUS THING I'VE EVER SEEN AT A RACETRACK.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #67
Bennie

Is that the Pimlico race from years back where the idiot came from the infield and tried to punch the horse?
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #68
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
As the annoying would-be coach said in Hoosiers: "There are two kinds of crazy. One kind strips naked and howls at the moon. The other does it in my front yard."

Love old-school Gene Hackman, btw. "Pass it OFF four times before anybody shoots."

Last edited by mountainman; 01-20-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 PM   #69
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
...One kind strips naked and howls at the moon. The other does it in my front yard...
Oh I wasn't submitting evidence in the form of rebuttal. Rather, I was helping to put an exclamation point on your statement.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #70
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie
Is that the Pimlico race from years back where the idiot came from the infield and tried to punch the horse?
Yessir, poor old Artax and Chop Chop.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #71
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Oh I wasn't submitting evidence in the form of rebuttal. Rather, I was helping to put an exclamation point on your statement.
lol..I simply enjoy working movie quotes into every conversation. In real life I do it all day. Usually, they are tenuously related (at best) to the point I'm trying to make. But I don't care. Just as long as I sound cool.

And I'd never take offense at your considerable wit, sir. You know that.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-21-2017 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #72
mountainman

Rejoiced today at sight of nearby monitor tuned to Mahoning. If it stays on local station, there's a good chance I'll reach out more to sponsors.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-21-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #73
lamboguy

Quote:
Rejoiced today at sight of nearby monitor tuned to Mahoning. If it stays on local station, there's a good chance I'll reach out more to sponsors.

Not certain that Mahoning even WANTS increased handle. Let's just say my jury is out on that.
last wednesday they had $50k win pools. today they were around $20k.

uncle lou is starting to heat up and should win another one on monday there.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #74
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
last wednesday they had $50k win pools. today they were around $20k.

uncle lou is starting to heat up and should win another one on monday there.
Bet 5 horses today and 4 of them won. Notes on bias, field strength and race-flow are paying off.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #75
lamboguy

Quote:
Bet 5 horses today and 4 of them won. Notes on bias, field strength and race-flow are paying off.
glad to hear it!

get ready for monday now
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply