Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #46
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
No word yet if MVR will cancel today as of 8:55 AM. Tractors wore working throughout the night. If they do run, Sambucca Steve, #10 in race 6 deserves some attention at ML 6-1. His 2 wins in the Fall '16 meet came on nearly frozen surfaces. He owned the track record at 6 furlongs set on 2-28-15, also on a frozen surface, until it was broken last January on a frozen track, of course.

RR
Sambucca Steve easily best on my numbers. Accuweather has Youngstown at a "balmy" 9 degrees, with a projected hight of 17. Fingers crossed. Do they ever run in this temp range?

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #47
Vinman

Mahoning Valley scratches posted on Equibase 10 minutes ago.

Vinman
Old 01-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #48
Vinman

Tvg reports cancellation of Aqueduct card today.....this will help betting handle at MVR.

Vinman
Old 01-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #49
mountainman

Neither outright front-runners, nor inside trips had any potent advantage today on a very quick surface that ,again, put closers at a big disadvantage.

My handicapping was uninspired and had me in the hole until $13.40 on a horse I loved in the finale pushed things into the black. It was one of the largest bets I've made on a Mahoning race and was based largely on the winner having bid 3-wide on a rail-biased track last start. Very gratifying for my replay watching and bias-notes to pay off.

Just an off-cuff observation..but reasonably fresh horses more and more have the edge on tired runners now nearing the end of long wrap-around campaigns. Be careful, however, to not confuse true freshness that stems from stable intent with repeated interruptions and aborted comebacks that indicate a runner just cant hold up to racing.

I would also favor horses started, say, 12 or fewer times last season to those raced into the ground with no respite. These concerns are particularly important during the winter season.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-07-2017 at 11:18 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #50
bello
Veteran

Why did they switch the 6 furlong races to 5/1-2 furlongs and still run the distance races?
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 12:12 AM   #51
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Why did they switch the 6 furlong races to 5/1-2 furlongs and still run the distance races?
The area by the 6 furlong chute often becomes frozen. The tractors that constantly circle the oval almost non-stop daily don't hit that area. Also the sun rarely hits that section, even when it becomes warm enough to help thaw the ground. A few races that took place in the past under similar conditions were affected as some horses slipped badly coming out of the gate.

RR
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 AM   #52
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
The area by the 6 furlong chute often becomes frozen. The tractors that constantly circle the oval almost non-stop daily don't hit that area. Also the sun rarely hits that section, even when it becomes warm enough to help thaw the ground. A few races that took place in the past under similar conditions were affected as some horses slipped badly coming out of the gate.

RR
I remember something similar used to happen at Charles Town, the 4.5f races would become 4f races.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2017, 04:50 AM   #53
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Neither outright front-runners, nor inside trips had any potent advantage today on a very quick surface that ,again, put closers at a big disadvantage.

My handicapping was uninspired and had me in the hole until $13.40 on a horse I loved in the finale pushed things into the black. It was one of the largest bets I've made on a Mahoning race and was based largely on the winner having bid 3-wide on a rail-biased track last start. Very gratifying for my replay watching and bias-notes to pay off.

Just an off-cuff observation..but reasonably fresh horses more and more have the edge on tired runners now nearing the end of long wrap-around campaigns. Be careful, however, to not confuse true freshness that stems from stable intent with repeated interruptions and aborted comebacks that indicate a runner just cant hold up to racing.

I would also favor horses started, say, 12 or fewer times last season to those raced into the ground with no respite. These concerns are particularly important during the winter season.

LOVE IT! Great job Mountainman!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #54
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman

Mark the 11 horse from race #8 as extremely live next start.
Favorite Uncle is entered today. #1 in Race7, ML 8-1 blinkers go back on, jock switch to Quinones. Full field of 12 so price should still be decent. Think he goes off between 7/2 and 6-1.

RR
Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 AM   #55
Vinman

Quote:
Favorite Uncle is entered today. #1 in Race7, ML 8-1 blinkers go back on, jock switch to Quinones. Full field of 12 so price should still be decent. Think he goes off between 7/2 and 6-1.

RR
Ron......Could you put in a request with Mahoning management for some form of advance notification to the betting public as to how many live Pick 6 tickets there are with each runner going into the last race? Yesterday there was the $156.80 winner in leg 2 followed by the 13-1 and 8-1 winners booted home by Jaime Rodriguez. When the 6/5 fave won the 7th, I had a sinking feeling that the pool was going to be scooped by a lone winner if the 5 or 7 won the finale. Fortunately that wasn't the case with the victorious 10 horse at 7/2. I'm sure any ticketholders alive with the 5 or 7 and others would have loved to know if they were alive for the payoff du jour or the whole jackpot pool.

ideally, Mahoning could simply add another will pay screen for the Pick 6 prior to the last race in the same format as they now use for the DD, Pick 3 & Pick 4. If that isn't workable, I can't imagine why announcer, John McGarry can't be provided this info by mutuels to pass on to the betting public before the last race.

It should also be noted that it is now possible to access the Pick 6 will pays via BRIS Supertote for a number if tracks, but this is not the case wth MVR.

It would have been fun to hear how many live tix there were both before and after the $156.80 bomb was dropped yesterday.

"Good luck, we're all counting on you"

Vinman

Last edited by Vinman; 01-11-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #56
rrpic6

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ra...ot-disappears/

This is as good a reason as any. The tote system was posting will pays back in November, but they were not accurate. Possibly due to the 20cent increments.

RR
Old 01-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #57
MONEY

HI, rrpic6
Just one question,
I can get stats for all American tracks except Mahoning Valley on Equibase's StatsMaster™. Why?

Here is a link to the page for Aqueduct, in case you've never heard of StatsMaster™.
http://bit.ly/2j6OUua
Old 01-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #58
lamboguy

Quote:

RR
the way the inside is today so far, FAVORITE UNCLE looks like a lay down!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #59
Vinman

I didn't want to be a "killjoy" earlier re Favorite Uncle's chances, but from his "way off the pace" last running line, it seemed like he was going to have a tough time from the rail today, blinkers or not.

I've pretty much sworn off making win bets on horses breaking from the rail in sprints. I've learned this lesson at Monmouth time and again. When I make an exception, it's like getting hit in the head with a hammer...lol. That said, "Uncle" made it close at the wire today.

I decided to lay in the weeds, or in this case, the mud, until the finale for my lone bet of the day....$60 to win on the victorious She's A Gem. 9/5 with a minute to post....$4.00 to win. Beats a poke in the eye.

Vinman
Old 01-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #60
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONEY
HI, rrpic6
Just one question,
I can get stats for all American tracks except Mahoning Valley on Equibase's StatsMaster™. Why?

Here is a link to the page for Aqueduct, in case you've never heard of StatsMaster™.
http://bit.ly/2j6OUua
Sorry, not sure why that is. You'll have to contact Equibase.

RR