Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #1
FakeNameChanged

College Football Playoffs

The Nittany Lions won the Big Ten Championship last night in a great game. A great season and I don't expect the committee to put in two teams from the Big Ten. I know how it would feel if I were a Washington alumni and moved out of their 4th spot. I'm happy just to have come all the back from the abyss of you know what. I can't believe that idiot commentator had to bring that f-ing crap up as they clinched the deal as time wound down. Rose Bowl will be a great consolation prize. Go LIONS!
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #2
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst
The Nittany Lions won the Big Ten Championship last night in a great game. A great season and I don't expect the committee to put in two teams from the Big Ten. I know how it would feel if I were a Washington alumni and moved out of their 4th spot. I'm happy just to have come all the back from the abyss of you know what. I can't believe that idiot commentator had to bring that f-ing crap up as they clinched the deal as time wound down. Rose Bowl will be a great consolation prize. Go LIONS!
Congrats also to another Phila area team, the Temple Owls, who beat up on Navy to win the win the ACC championship
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst
I was rooting for Va Tech to beat Clemson so Penn State would have had a shot to get in, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt
I was rooting for Va Tech to beat Clemson so Penn State would have had a shot to get in, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
VT gave it a shot. Clemson has a chance to beat ALabama, imo. Clemson has always been a tough team for PSU to beat. It's hard to understand how Urban always seems to get around the deal that Conference winners will get into these championships. And I think Urban is a great coach.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

Alabama almost appears bored with winning at times. They'll look vulnerable and then switch gears and destroy the competition.
I think they'd beat Clemson because they're a much better team. They'll have to beat themselves to lose.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 12:22 PM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Alabama almost appears bored with winning at times. They'll look vulnerable and then switch gears and destroy the competition.
I think they'd beat Clemson because they're a much better team. They'll have to beat themselves to lose.
Agreed. I watch Alabama games finally thinking one will be competitive just like last night when Florida easily marched down the field and went op 7-0.
They let the opponent think they have a chance for a while and then they flip a switch and blow them away. You start out watching thinking Alabama might lose let alone cover the spread, then they win by 4 touchdowns or more.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #7
proximity

penn st didn't make it (and probably rightfully so) but they will be a MAJOR threat as long as mcsorley is under center. what a winner!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
JustRalph
Just another Facist

JT Barret's arm is a noodle. No accuracy left at all. But I'm legally required to be a Buckeye fanatic.

Mind you, when they won the first one in 2014, I had to pull over on the freeway because I couldn't see through the tears

My wife thought I was crazy
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 AM   #9
reckless
Veteran

Penn State got screwed. They won the big 10 title and they beat Ohio State. Yes, the Buckeyes are a better team but why have split divisions, 8 games in conference play, and a title game if the winner is ignored?
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
Penn State got screwed. They won the big 10 title and they beat Ohio State. Yes, the Buckeyes are a better team but why have split divisions, 8 games in conference play, and a title game if the winner is ignored?
Agree. If nothing else, Penn State should have replaced Washington.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
That is the problem in a 4 team playoff - somebody is always going to get screwed.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #12
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Penn State got screwed.
If true, good. I'm a Michigan fan, I don't like OSU but I respect them. With the recent happenings that went on at PSU I have no respect for them, their fanbase, or a coach that let those things go on. They're lucky to have remained in the Big 10.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #13
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
If true, good. I'm a Michigan fan, I don't like OSU but I respect them. With the recent happenings that went on at PSU I have no respect for them, their fanbase, or a coach that let those things go on. They're lucky to have remained in the Big 10.
Well the coach that let those things go on, Joe Paterno, is dead. His great legacy as a football coach was tarnished forever and imo, beyond reproach.

I have no use for the fanbase well. While I live in Pennsylvania I am NOT a Penn State fan, per se, in case you see my advocacy for the Nittany Lions as solely a partisan issue. Nothing could be further from reality -- Penn State beat Ohio State, won the very strong and deep Big 10 title and simply got screwed over.

Plus they have the most exciting team to come out of the East in many years -- all those 2nd half comebacks are as exciting as anything I ever watched. And they did it a half dozens times this season, Mutuel!

Current coach James Franklin is a minor miracle man for what he did for the program.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 11:42 AM   #14
MutuelClerk

I understand your point reckless and respect it. That coach may be tarnished in our eyes but it wont be long before another statue is built for him by that deplorable ( TM Hillary) fan base. I'm protective of the Big 10, personally I would never let Notre Dame join after they rejected us. Eventually Notre Dame will have to join a conference in football. I understand logistically the Big 10 is perfect. But screw ND.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #15
ElKabong

A one loss Ohio state team
A two loss penn state team

These two teams tied for the division title

I'll take the one loss team every time. If penn state had only one loss they'd be in because of the win over ohio state. Simple as that

As for their program, they should have been shut down. Period. What took place was FAR worse than what SMU did thirty years ago and they never have recovered. (Same for Baylor btw). As for Franklin, I'm still not convinced. OBrien laid a good foundation.

Last edited by ElKabong; 12-05-2016 at 11:49 AM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: