Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > 2014 PaceAdvantage Challenge Series, sponsored by RDSS > Brisnet.com PaceAdvantage Inter-Board Handicapping League (P.A.I.H.L.)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #91
Old Gray Mare

Classy Races Low Class Handicapper

I have handicapped for many years and before simulcasting I had no choice but to play the races carded at local "cheap" tracks. Well this contest is a new experience for me, marathon races, more than 1 in a season but 3 in a day! Graded races all over the place. More turf races on a contest card than I ordinarily see in 2 or 3 days. Lots of races carded for young 3 year olds. Now I am learning a lot and I know that many people really enjoy handicapping these races but aren't there some claiming/allowances around. The ones that are most representative of the races many of us see on a daily basis?
I know that it isn't easy to run one of these contests. You get races with full fields then you get comments like mine. You all put a lot of time and effort into this endeavor and you deserve a big thanks.
Pat
Old Gray Mare is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #92
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

There are usually a couple of claiming/allowance/Allowance Optional Claimers on a contest card.

Last week was a bit of an aberration. I was trying desperately to avoid bad weather and cancelled contest races. That left lots of Florida and California racing, and it just so happened that the turf races seemed to be the most competitive races offered.

Competitive races are my number one goal when creating a contest card. I RARELY go with a race where the morning line favorite is under 5/2.

I also try and balance the turf vs. dirt, route vs. sprint races on every card. Last week that proved fairly impossible to do. But if you look back on my contest cards over the years, you will see many if not most are fairly well balanced.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #93
dirty moose

Are we getting some AQ action this weekend?
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #94
Greyfox

I know that the scorer's job isn't easy and I'm appreciative of the work of those who do it.
However, I find the contest more enjoyable when the results are posted with more swiftness than they were last weekend - not that it makes any difference to the outcome of various teams at the end of the day.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 PM   #95
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
I know that the scorer's job isn't easy and I'm appreciative of the work of those who do it.
However, I find the contest more enjoyable when the results are posted with more swiftness than they were last weekend - not that it makes any difference to the outcome of various teams at the end of the day.
Are you volunteering?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #96
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Are you volunteering?
Only you would offer that remark. Thankyou, but no.

The fact is it is easier to detect errors in a team's scoring when the posts are put up after each race, than looking back three races to determine if the scores are accurate.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #97
LAP_520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
SO NOTED.

This contest requires the score keepers undivided attention ~ WHICH I was unable to give it while the teams were posting their selections this week. As you can see I posted "they are off !" at 3:09 pm...... However, I still had to input five teams picks before I could even think about posting results for Event #1 that went off at 3:09 pm

I had all the teams selections recorded by 3:30 pm and I so noted that at 3:32 pm. Of course, I could of RUSHED my two finger typing and made many mitsakes (mistakes) .. but I did asked for everybody's Patience.

Yes, the first three Event results where posted within a 14 minute spread. Again, I was making sure I was inputting the payoff results in correctly..... I have been known to hit the comma instead of the decimal at times which would of blown this the the moon and back. Sometimes, I even put in the wrong payoff amount. I WAS DOUBLE CHECKING.

Pace Advantage does his best to get Good quality, diversified races with respectable post time spacing over a 3 - 3 1/2 hour time period. More times than not, my Family Dinner Time is NOT during the One hour Break between races. That was the case again this past Saturday,,,,, FAMILY FIRST in this home. SORRY.

Event 4, Gulfstrem Race 10, went off at 5:16 pm.. not 5:01 pm as DRF results state... and to get results from DRF .. sometimes I have waited better that 1/2 hour. So to try and stay abreast, I put the results in the scorecard that my ADW showed...... then I look at DRF for results to double check before updating the team standings and then post. Event 4 results were posted at 5:29 pm

Event 5, Gulfstream Race 11, went off at 5:48 pm... not 5:31 pm as DRF results state..... Event 6, Oaklawn Park, Race 8 went off at 5:46 pm ( before Event 5) ...I would not of posted Event 6 results before Event 5 results were posted anyway. All this was During the time I was having Dinner with my Family.

When I returned, I posted the results in Event Order,,, but I FORGOT to check for LATE SCRATCHES,,, My fault totally.

Because, I saw Fair Grounds Race 10 had already finished, and they were only showing the finishing order and no payout, I proceeded to input the results for Event 5, update the team standings and post ( at 6:35 pm). Then, I went and input Event 6 results, updated team standings and post ( at 6:42 pm). Of course, by that time Fair Grounds race 11 was off and racing at 6:37 pm

I pulled the results from my ADW for Fair Grounds Race 10, tried to double check with DRF.... nothing... so I updated standings, and posted Event 7 at 6:47 pm ... NOT realizing that two horses had been scratched.. the #1 and #3

Event 8, Fair Grounds race 11, went off at 6:37 pm as I stated above. Results were entered and team standings updated.. Event 8 was posted at 6:54 pm....

A lot of the time lapse between the race going off and the time the results are actually posted in the contest thread is due to reporting result tardiness between the track involved and DRF. I tried to use DRF results as much as possible this week,,,and if DRF had them, I would of seen the two scratches. However, with them not being up, and it was late in posting the results, I proceeded. The DRF results are "the official reporting agency" for the Gapfire.com Aqueduct Inner track Pick 4 challenge held on this website .... and I did not want to get myself out of sequence in using the DRF results.

By the way, once player freehouse2002 posted that there was a scratch in Fair Grounds Race 10, I immediately verified and found two scratches in that race and made the necessary corrections that reflected in the Event 8 results. Thank You freehouse2002 for posting that info.

I do apologize for the tardiness in posting Event results. However, I still am a "bug boy" at this and still learning ... I THANK GOD that there was not a DEAD HEAT and any of the races. I have not learned how to enter that yet.

I promise to try to be more quicker in posting the team standings the next time I have live scoring duties......

( That is if I have my computer back from being upgraded...... using Windows XP professional and Mircosoft is abandoning their support on April 8, 2014 )

Another tip ~ do not hold your cellphone or any hand held communication device in your hand while seated behind a vehicle steering wheel..... automatic ticket if the LAW sees you. Phone records no longer will be allowed as proof you were not on the device.. I guess these are some of the "Changes" that were promised in Presidential campaign

Cheers,

LAP_520

RDSS
PaceAdvantage.com
Challenge Series
2012-2013 Gapfire.com
The Ridersup Memorial
Aqueduct Inner Track
Challenge
~ CHAMPION ~
LAP_520 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #98
Greyfox

Thank you Lap_520.
I appreciate your work on this contest and all of the other scorers.
Certainly not an easy task for sure.

My comments were meant more as a suggestion for improving the enjoyment of the game, more than a criticism.

All the best,

Greyfox
Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #99
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Thanks Larry (LAP_520).

Jay and I know what you are going thru, and your willingness to help score is greatly appreciated! Unless one has actually filled in as scorer of this contest, they can not truly understand and appreciate all the various details and potential problems that are involved each week.

One suggestion that would reduce the posting delay time........

Eliminate the step to "confirm" the payout prices with DRF. Unlike the Gapfire.com Ridersup contest, the rules of this contest never specifically indicated "who" the official data source would be. It would be perfectly ok to use info from another source like The Racing Channel, Equibase (Quick Results), etc. In the very unlikely event of an error, one or more teams will call it to your attention.

Cheers,

Chris
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #100
Ted Craven

Larry,

Thanks again for covering for Jay Trotter, who was playing in a live Contest, and for me - away on vacation! You didn't have to explain yourself like you did above, but it shows your sense of ownership of your growing commitment to helping make this Contest (and the other Contests) run smoothly for us all by taking seriously Greyfox's perceived challenge to your effort, though I also accept his clarification.

Doing that scoring sheet - in real-time - with scratches and all the double-checking of Team's selections, getting and entering results then posting them within minutes - is far more work than I imagined when you and I 'shadowed' Jay Trotter several weeks ago to prepare for these periodic absences of his. I'm not positive I could do a better job than you have done these couple of times - and I thank you for your diligence, in front of and behind the scenes.

FWIW, and if it does help, I think Chris' suggestion is a good one to use any reputable and quick source of Result mutuels (I used Brisnet myself) - the chances of discrepancies will be small. And I hear you, that falling behind in the run up to 'post-time' can be deadly for timing. Nobody's faulting you. We are all grateful.

My turn will come up the next month when Jay Trotter is away again on a Saturday. I hope I do as good a job as you. Thank you for your continued contributions.

Ted

Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 11:46 PM   #101
dirty moose

Welcome back Ted, hope vacation was good. Shoot me a email when you get a few.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #102
ldiatone

so like MNR is back up march 1st. does this mean will have a few of MNR races in the future?

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #103
dirty moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone
so like MNR is back up march 1st. does this mean will have a few of MNR races in the future?
I second this!
Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #104
horses4courses

Lack of Santa Anita races

Obviously, this weekend is a washout - hopefully next Saturday's Big Cap card is a good one.
There have not been many SA races in the contest, so far.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #105
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose
I second this!
Doubtful since they run at night. Try to wrap things up in a few hours span.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: