Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #76
Vinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Bet 5 horses today and 4 of them won. Notes on bias, field strength and race-flow are paying off.
Had a nice win bet on Grad Bash in the 5th today, at a generous $10.60 to boot! I'm assuming he was one of your 4 winners.

Interesting that the P6 pool was scooped today for the second time this week.

Vinman
Vinman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #77
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Had a nice win bet on Grad Bash in the 5th today, at a generous $10.60 to boot! I'm assuming he was one of your 4 winners.

Interesting that the P6 pool was scooped today for the second time this week.

Vinman
Bingo , vin. Troubled trip three-back..followed by career number.. then predictable regression at unsuitably long distance. Also felt element of early zip buried deep on horse's form might well resurface given how hot Gorham has been. Plus, the favorite had a perfect trip last start in a race that's proving unproductive.

Also hit 8th race winner (msw). Liked her debut, breeding, barn, and subsequent workout, while the prohibitive chalk up from GP had red-flags on form and paraded in new front wraps.

Apologies..make me 3 of 4 (not 4 of 5) on day. My other winner was No Holdem Poker in race 3. He had skipped a condition recently to set the pace and falter on a track that was killing speed.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #78
Vinman

Quote:
Bingo , vin. Troubled trip three-back..followed by career number.. then predictable regression at unsuitably long distance. Also felt element of early zip buried deep on horse's form might well resurface given how hot Gorham has been. Plus, the favorite had a perfect trip last start in a race that's proving unproductive.

Also hit 8th race winner (msw). Liked her debut, breeding, barn, and subsequent workout, while the prohibitive chalk up from GP had red-flags on form and paraded in new front wraps.

Apologies..make me 3 of 4 (not 4 of 5) on day. My other winner was No Holdem Poker in race 3. He had skipped a condition recently to set the pace and falter on a track that was killing speed.
Interesting observation on the GP shipper's new front wraps. He sure loomed huge on the turn and I'm waiting for him to open up by a pole to collect my $10 DD payoff. The bridgejumpers sure dodged a bullet on that one.

Vinman
Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 PM   #79
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman
Interesting observation on the GP shipper's new front wraps. He sure loomed huge on the turn and I'm waiting for him to open up by a pole to collect my $10 DD payoff. The bridgejumpers sure dodged a bullet on that one.

Vinman
I didn't like her losing as fave last two starts at the bigs. It tied in with the new fronts. And Doug Cowans, as great as he's been over the last decade, seems decidedly more human these days.

Where are you from, pal? What's your line of work?

If this thread were to stir more interest in Mahoning, I would probably post my bias notes as a service to fellow board members. But I don't get the feeling that Austintown is high priority to players here on PA.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-21-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #80
Vinman

I just checked the last race WPS pools, which are still up on BRIS Supertote. There was $106,523 bet to show on Coldgreydawn out of a total show pool of $113,598. Yikes.

Would the bettor(s) have collected $2.20 to show on him at the Mountain? Would MNR or in this case, MVR, send a bill to the sending track/ADW for any loss to the track via the minus pool?

Vinman
Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 PM   #81
mountainman

Yes, 2.20. And the adw/ simulcast outlet through which the bet is placed stands responsible for minus pools. That's one reason Mnr does not encourage me to recommend specific bridge jumps. Even though it ostensibly boosts our handle.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-21-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 AM   #82
lamboguy

everyone makes a big deal about front wraps the first time because horses tend to underperform with them. i always note them and play the horse second time wraps.. you get a better price and the horse has experience with them on now.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #83
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
everyone makes a big deal about front wraps the first time because horses tend to underperform with them. i always note them and play the horse second time wraps.. you get a better price and the horse has experience with them on now.
To me...it's not what the wraps DO, it's what they imply about the horse. Especially a horse with other red flags.
Old 01-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #84
rrpic6

Quote:

I'll take an educated guess that the only bet you missed on was #8 Jacopotamus in Race 7. He was coming out of a race on Dec. 20 where he stumbled from Post #11. Wide posts didn't fare well that day. He got slammed at the start Saturday and had no chance again. BTW, I had 4-8 boxed till the cows came home.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...17&cy=USA&rn=7

RR
Old 01-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #85
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
I'll take an educated guess that the only bet you missed on was #8 Jacopotamus in Race 7. He was coming out of a race on Dec. 20 where he stumbled from Post #11. Wide posts didn't fare well that day. He got slammed at the start Saturday and had no chance again. BTW, I had 4-8 boxed till the cows came home.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/char...17&cy=USA&rn=7

RR
Liked him, too..partly because Academic Affair is soooo phony. We think somewhat alike, Ron. Which doesn't bode well for you..lol.

McGary must have stomach flu? I had it 5 weeks ago, and for 44 hours (I counted them) I wanted to die.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #86
rrpic6

Quote:
Liked him, too..partly because Academic Affair is soooo phony. We think somewhat alike, Ron. Which doesn't bode well for you..lol.

McGary must have stomach flu? I had it 5 weeks ago, and for 44 hours (I counted them) I wanted to die.
John (McGary) was very ill when I spoke to him Wednesday night. I was under the weather myself all week with a bad cold. Lots of people around MVR have been ill these past 2 weeks. Matt Hook did a fine job filling in for John.

RR
Old 01-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #87
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrpic6
John (McGary) was very ill when I spoke to him Wednesday night. I was under the weather myself all week with a bad cold. Lots of people around MVR have been ill these past 2 weeks. Matt Hook did a fine job filling in for John.

RR
Sorry you were sick. ron. But as to other Mahoning employees, it would be difficult to tell, since behind those forced smiles they look like they are being held hostage. I half expect one of the tellers to blink out "help me" in morse code. It's creepy. Flat out creepy.

And the security guys in those yellow coats don't BUDGE when they are blocking your path. Clearly, they see their role as more important than that of patron. It's a very tense place.

I'm sure not holding my breath until a conga line forms...

btw..totally agree about hook's announcing. And he's quite the handicapper and all around wise guy, as well.

And fwiw...I did have the footing pro-rail on dec 20.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-23-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #88
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Sorry you were sick. ron. But as to other Mahoning employees, it would be difficult to tell, since behind those forced smiles they look like they are being held hostage. I half expect one of the tellers to blink out "help me" in morse code. It's creepy. Flat out creepy.

And the security guys in those yellow coats don't BUDGE when they are blocking your path. Clearly, they see their role as more important than that of patron. It's a very tense place.
OMG you've actually motivated me to want to take a drive out there to check this out ! Blink out HELP ME in Morse code! I LOVE it!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #89
Vinman

Today's 8th at MVR marks the return of Za Woodman, who singlehandedly took out perhaps more than half of the 20 cent P6 jackpot tix with a 4th place finish at 6/5 on mandatory payout day, 12/28. His chances today are enhanced by the scratch of Boss Man Bob, who won that 12/28 race at 3-1 to kick off that P6. But before sending it in on the Woodman, notice the 95 BRIS fig for Shirota one race back....his last start on dirt. Good chance Shirota didn't care for the poly at Turfway last out, the class bump to 8000/7000 or both. Should be an interesting contest.

Vinman
Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #90
mountainman

As an official I sympathize with their situation in the racing office, but from a player's perspective, Mahoning's cards have gone from disappointing to EXTREMELY disappointing.

Four mdn/ clmng races today. From a mere EIGHT RACE PROGRAM. Boys, that don't cut it. And I'm growing weary of watching four fields per day made up of the same slow ohio- breds running against each other. That's not racing; it's attrition.

To be honest, with so many restricted races , and a large portion of their season conducted during the brunt of north-eastern ohio winters, I'm not optimistic that the quality of product there can ever improve appreciably. Regardless of potentially escalating slot-infusions.

Last edited by mountainman; 02-20-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: