Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 01-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
PowerUpPaynter

Your Top 5

Who is everyone's top 5 as we stand here mid January?

Mine is as follows:

1. Classic Empire
2. Mastery
3. McCraken
4. Gormley
5. Practical Joke

Sleepers im watching in random order: Irish War Cry, Fact Finding, American Anthem, Gunnevera

Hard to gauge a lot of these 3 year olds thus far seems like there has been a decent amount of wet tracks some of the races of interest have run on thus far.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 01-22-2017 at 08:57 PM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter
Who is everyone's top 5 as we stand here mid January?

Mine is as follows:

1. Classic Empire
2. Mastery
3. McCraken
4. Gormley
5. Practical Joke

Sleepers im watching in random order: Irish War Cry, Fact Finding, American Anthem, Gunnevera

Hard to gauge a lot of these 3 year olds thus far seems like there has been a decent amount of wet tracks some of the races of interest have run on thus far.
You'd better add Uncontested and Mo Town to your list...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
You'd better add Uncontested and Mo Town to your list...
I got my eye on them but for me at this point not top 5 and not really 'sleepers' both would end up between 5-10 for me
Old 01-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #4
Spalding No!

With an eye towards some longshots:

1. So Conflated
2. Wild Shot
3. Talk Logistics
4. Untrapped
5. Guest Suite

By the way, going through the TC nominees, I found a 4th horse in this crop with the Claiborne mare Narrate in the female line. The Coolmore colt Whitecliffsofdover has her as the 3rd dam (Preach is the 2nd). So she on the bottom sides of Whitecliffsofdover, Wild Shot, Untrapped, and Haul Anchor.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No!
By the way, going through the TC nominees, I found a 4th horse in this crop with the Claiborne mare Narrate in the female line. The Coolmore colt Whitecliffsofdover has her as the 3rd dam (Preach is the 2nd). So she on the bottom sides of Whitecliffsofdover, Wild Shot, Untrapped, and Haul Anchor.

That's pretty neat.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
With an eye towards some longshots:

1. So Conflated
2. Wild Shot
3. Talk Logistics
4. Untrapped
5. Guest Suite

What is the significance of Narrate in the female side?... just curious still learning about pedigree
Old 01-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
What is the significance of Narrate in the female side?... just curious still learning about pedigree
I would rank Narrate a "Blue Hen" mare considering the number of stakes winners and top sires that descend from her. Furthermore, Narrate herself descends from a long line of great producers. Her dam State produced multiple stakes winners as did her granddam. Her 3rd dam produced the great Round Table.

The interesting thing with Untrapped and Wild Shot is that Narrate shows up on both the top and bottom sides of their respective pedigrees. This was called the "Rasmussen Factor" during the heyday of dosage profiles and the like during the '80s and '90s, and was considered desirable for classic horses. Technically, Wild Shot has the RF through Narrate's daughter Preach. Not sure if many people hold much stock in it anymore.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:12 PM   #8
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
I would rank Narrate a "Blue Hen" mare considering the number of stakes winners and top sires that descend from her. Furthermore, Narrate herself descends from a long line of great producers. Her dam State produced multiple stakes winners as did her granddam. Her 3rd dam produced the great Round Table.

The interesting thing with Untrapped and Wild Shot is that Narrate shows up on both the top and bottom sides of their respective pedigrees. This was called the "Rasmussen Factor" during the heyday of dosage profiles and the like during the '80s and '90s, and was considered desirable for classic horses. Technically, Wild Shot has the RF through Narrate's daughter Preach. Not sure if many people hold much stock in it anymore.
do any of them combine with Buckpasser in the X?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Spalding No!

Quote:
do any of them combine with Buckpasser in the X?
I'm not familiar with the whole X factor theory, but Buckpasser is in an X passing position in 3 out of the 4 horses. Only Haul Anchor does not have Buckpasser in a passing position (though Buckpasser does appear in his pedigree).
Old 01-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #10
Raider

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the whole X factor theory, but Buckpasser is in an X passing position in 3 out of the 4 horses. Only Haul Anchor does not have Buckpasser in a passing position (though Buckpasser does appear in his pedigree).
Number Kyd trail races to date: 13
Number of entrants in Kyd trail races to date: 115
Number of entrants with BXPF(Buckpasser X Passing Factor): 33

Duplicate horses entrants in race are not factored, only total.

BXPF Winners 7
Place 5
how 6
trifecta 2
Exacta 3

What are the stats for Narrate? Two of your five have BXPF, Wild Shot and Guest Suite. Since the other three have not ran a points race(to the best of my knowledge), I haven't tracked them. Untrapped(who did run a points race, opps) does look intresting, but does not have BXPF.

I am like you PowerUp. This is the first year I have tracked the breeding side of it. Its too soon for me to have a top five, don't know if we have seen the winner yet. Give me a month.

Last edited by Raider; 01-25-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #11
PowerUpPaynter

hmm i watched the Kentucky Jockey Club over again to watch McCraken and noticed the 2nd place horse ran a nice race... Wild Shot

Then I watched the Breeders Futurity and the 3rd place horse about 4 lengths behind Classic Empire ran a nice race... Wild Shot again.

and hes currently 99-1 (probably more) in the futures pool. Thats worth 5 or 10 bucks as a wild long shot...

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 01-27-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
BCOURTNEY

Mastery
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY
Mastery

One thing im noticing is some people LOVE Mastery. I dont know, I agree at this point he is top 3 no question but then part of me thinks hes just another Mor Spirit... By the way, has Mor Spirit finished last years derby yet?
Old 01-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #14
BCOURTNEY

Quote:
One thing im noticing is some people LOVE Mastery. I dont know, I agree at this point he is top 3 no question but then part of me thinks hes just another Mor Spirit... By the way, has Mor Spirit finished last years derby yet?
Probably my favorite based almost entirely on pedigree currently, San Felipe or the Rebel Stakes (probably San Felipe) will be informative.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #15
tanner12oz

I'm.on.the mastery bandwagon as well
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply