Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Tape Reader

GOLD

GOLD!

I feel that the most recent bullish wave has corrected (home grown stuff) and that the next major move is up. This move will bring the "currency" to new all time highs. What say you?

Tape Reader
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
lamboguy

gold is not an investment these days, its an insurance policy.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
I felt the same about some Greek government bonds I bought a few years ago...
Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
Against what?

Go down to the grocery store or filling station and see what you can buy with gold.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Against what?
Against the irresponsible and incompetent actions of governments and central bankers that think debasing paper currencies and transferring wealth from savers to themselves and international bankers is a sound and fair economic policy.

Essentially, gold is a bet that the stupidity and evil of governments and bankers will eventually blow up their face and people will want "things" as a store of value because they'll come to realize that paper is worthless unless you are taking a dump. It's a long term bet.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Valuist

Its the ultimate exchange wager: gold against the Keynesians and their money printing.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
Against the irresponsible and incompetent actions of governments and central bankers that think debasing paper currencies and transferring wealth from savers to themselves and international bankers is a sound and fair economic policy.
Yeah, but I still don't understand how it would work. Are you saying that after our currency becomes worthless people will pay for things with actual gold?

Like a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Yeah, but I still don't understand how it would work. Are you saying that after our currency becomes worthless people will pay for things with actual gold?

Like a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread?
I doubt it unless the entire system collapsed.

What would likely happen is that inflation would start rising sharply and people would start realizing they were losing net worth adjusted for inflation keeping their money in banks, government bonds etc... So they would look for alternatives. As more and more people started using gold/silver etc.. as a store of value there would be political pressure to back our paper money with gold again or develop a way of writing paper checks and using debit cards off accounts backed in gold etc..
Old 04-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

some currency news to throw in here

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/08/japan-yen-idUSL3N0CV0G220130408
"Dollar poised to overtake 100 yen milestone
"

now folks... it's very important that we realize that this isn't about weakening the yen in it's relationship to other currencies, it's about 'beating deflation'.

some call this stuff currency wars, i don't follow that stuff tbh

How do you say quantitative easing in Japanese ?

the BoJ will combine its APP and Rinban operations into a single quantitative easing facility. It will also abandon its ‘bank notes rule’ that restricted its JGB holdings to the size of currency in circulation...

Here is a random Gold Blog that relates the Japanese massive QE to the prices of Gold and Silver:
http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/2013...=1365252683124

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 04-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
Magister Ludi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/08/japan-yen-idUSL3N0CV0G220130408
"Dollar poised to overtake 100 yen milestone
"

now folks... it's very important that we realize that this isn't about weakening the yen in it's relationship to other currencies, it's about 'beating deflation'.

some call this stuff currency wars, i don't follow that stuff tbh

How do you say quantitative easing in Japanese ?

the BoJ will combine its APP and Rinban operations into a single quantitative easing facility. It will also abandon its ‘bank notes rule’ that restricted its JGB holdings to the size of currency in circulation...

Here is a random Gold Blog that relates the Japanese massive QE to the prices of Gold and Silver:
http://harveyorgan.blogspot.com/2013...=1365252683124

Japanese Political Simulator
Magister Ludi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Wednesday's action surely put the original thread starter theory to the test...and to make matters worse, Goldman Sachs said Wednesday to SHORT GOLD.

When was the last time Goldman Sachs said you should short ANYTHING?

Gold was down around $30 at one point on Wednesday...good luck!

On another note, Treasuries sure have given back all that gain they had a few days ago...that move looked STRONG...but giving all this back in only a few days spells weak to me...

I've been saying for months now to LIFT THE OFFER on the broad market...those who agreed with me have profited handsomely...and this move isn't over...the only thing that can kill it is a nuke from North Korea, or maybe an attack by Israel on Iran...

Other than some unforeseen world event, we are in the midst of the big final push up before the real correction takes hold...when that happens is unknown at this point, IMO.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...er#post1309041

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...er#post1335975

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...er#post1417555

When I first said to Lift The Offer on July 19, 2012, in the ULTIMATE DEATH CROSS thread, the S&P was at 1376...it's now at 1587...that's a cool 15% in 9 months...not stellar, but it's better than losing...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-11-2013 at 02:05 AM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

And by the way, I say the VIX goes to historically low values before this is all over...we're talking single digits...it's never been below 10, correct?

With that said though, the VIX is due for another spike up...maybe to the 25-30 level...I'm thinking sometime in May...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
Tape Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Wednesday's action surely put the original thread starter theory to the test...and to make matters worse, Goldman Sachs said Wednesday to SHORT GOLD.

When was the last time Goldman Sachs said you should short ANYTHING?

Gold was down around $30 at one point on Wednesday...good luck!

On another note, Treasuries sure have given back all that gain they had a few days ago...that move looked STRONG...but giving all this back in only a few days spells weak to me...t of the big final push up before the real correction takes hold...when that happens is unknown at this point, IMO.
My opinion on gold is 100% technical of the chart. I do not consider potential "events" Treasuries, or the stock market.

I say that Goldman Sachs is wrong. The next major move in gold is up.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
lamboguy

the last time silver and gold touched the 200 week moving average was in 2009, both had huge runs to the upside at that point in time. i didn't realize it, but silver touched the 200 week about 2 weeks ago @ $26.60. the 200 week for gold is currently $1460. gold may have to test that out as well. my guess it will by the end of june this year.

to me i have respected this average in long term bull and bear markets. it certainly is cutting it close now. it is the narrowest margin today than it has been the last 12 years. that being said, you have your back up against the wall now in both silver and gold.

if one looks at what has happened in Cypress, the middle east and North Korea, and see that there is no movement what so ever in price is very scary at the moment. but that is what bull markets are all about, they scare you out of your positions.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #15
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tape Reader
My opinion on gold is 100% technical of the chart. I do not consider potential "events" Treasuries, or the stock market.

I say that Goldman Sachs is wrong. The next major move in gold is up.
They are not wrong, ever. But that does not mean they will tell others to do the right thing. In fact, most of the time their advice is after the event happened.
Or if things go against them, they will change things around to suit them. Don't forget that apart from the many rich people who invest/bank with GS, Warren Buffet also owns ton of GS stock and warrants.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply