Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 12-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
sam4022

Quick AOL Query

Is anyone having trouble using AOL email?
sam4022 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
MONEY

Looks like they've had a few problems lately.

http://downdetector.com/status/aol
Old 12-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
sam4022

Thanks

You wouldn't believe the runaround I got from tech support who decided my whole new Mac was totally but totally infected along with any devices connected. HOWEVER for the mere price of two thin $50 bills she could provide software to correct the problem.

I'm leaning toward someone at AOL directing me to a non AOL third party SO anyone having an email issue be aware.

Thanks for the link detailing the server problems.

Last edited by sam4022; 12-05-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam4022 View Post
You wouldn't believe the runaround I got from tech support who decided my whole new Mac was totally but totally infected along with any devices connected. HOWEVER for the mere price of two thin $50 bills she could provide software to correct the problem.

I'm leaning toward someone at AOL directing me to a non AOL third party SO anyone having an email issue be aware.

Thanks for the link detailing the server problems.
AOL and Yahoo email addresses mark you as seriously old. I had both in the past and still use an ancient yahoo address for any commercial operation that asks for my email.

You won’t get a tech job with either.

My email signature is “Sent from my Commodore 64” to mock the default “Sent from my IPad”.

Your @aol.com is doing the same for you except for the mocking part.

I use ProtonMail. It’s secure. I recommend it but there are literally hundreds of alternatives to sending an email that is essentially wearing black socks with sandals, shorts, and a “Don’t forget to ask about my AARP discount” hat.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #5
Inner Dirt

I can't believe AOL is still in business. I haven't interacted with them in decades but I consider them very unscrupulous and trying to convince their customers they can't live without them. Back in the days when most people had dial up and DSL was coming out AOL seemed to attract older folks who were not computer savvy.

I think back around the late 90's anyone trying to change providers away from AOL had to pretty much format their hard drive to get the AOL crap from blocking instillation of a new provider's software or infecting it's function.

When my mom died in 2003, AOL would not let me cancel her service even if I sent a death certificate, they wanted a copy of her last will and trust which was a couple hundred pages, they were that pathetic, fortunately I just cancelled the credit card it was billed to. They actually had the nerve to send a pass due notice and threatened to turn it over to collections.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
DeltaLover

Quote:
AOL ???
Old 12-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
sam4022

Response to Inner Dirt RE: AOL

MY problem in getting stuck with AOL was due to Verizon dropping their support of email and providing AOL as the replacement. Of course AOL wanted paying customers so the email was constantly interrupted with pop ups while processing internet searches and even in the middle of bill paying.

Before I could decide which mail provider to go with the current server disaster happened and I've not been able to get email for the 4th day. I'm considering avoiding both AOL for their poor service and Verizon for their lack of contingency planning, poor judgement and ultimate customer disregard.

Thanks to those of you responding. By the way I don't believe I'm too old as I was the Director of Advanced Tech for American Express but in this case I was too slow.

Last edited by sam4022; 12-06-2017 at 10:59 AM. Reason: additional data
Old 12-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Looks like AOL still sucks as always, I don't understand how they stay in business. Hopefully when you dump them you can get all their crap off your computer, looks like they are pulling the same crap they did 20 years ago. If I were you I would just get a Gmail account for e-mail.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #9
ldiatone

Quote:
i am not having trouble.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM   #10
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Did I just wake up in 1998?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
and a “Don’t forget to ask about my AARP discount” hat.

I don't get it.

Tom, Grits, can you help me?

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply