Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #151
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
And we come full circle. See post #14 in this thread. Although I have to say, now that you've said it, it must be the way to go.
That was long time ago!

I was listening to Privman on ATR talk about it this morning and kind of changed my mind on the whole thing a bit.

Hey, great minds think alike....three days a year anyway!

Last edited by Tom; 06-19-2017 at 10:20 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #152
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Hey, great minds think alike....three days a year anyway!
I almost said that!
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #153
Track Phantom

1. Raise the purse of the Derby, Preakness, Belmont

2. Offer an X% bonus to anyone finishing 1st through 5th in the Preakness that ran in the Derby.

3. Offer an X% bonus to anyone finishing 1st through 5th in the Belmont that ran in either the Derby or Preakness (debatable if this one is necessary).

4. Offer an XXX% bonus to anyone finishing 1st through 5th in the Belmont that ran in both the Derby and Preakness.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 AM   #154
Cholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
How about his schedule:

First Saturday in May.
Memorial Day
4th of July

At least 4 weeks between each race, still over in relatively the same time frame.

July 4th can be the closing day for Belmont and start Sartoga the next Friday.
seems to be more momentum building for changes such as this. 2019 might be the year it all gets scrambled. The current TV contract with NBC expires after 2018, and Belmont likely closes after the 2018 running for renovations that could require 18-24 months.

Are there legal issues that would keep Stronach from preemptively moving The Preakness to Laurel on 4th of July in 2019?
Cholly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #155
MonmouthParkJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
seems to be more momentum building for changes such as this. 2019 might be the year it all gets scrambled. The current TV contract with NBC expires after 2018, and Belmont likely closes after the 2018 running for renovations that could require 18-24 months.

Are there legal issues that would keep Stronach from preemptively moving The Preakness to Laurel on 4th of July in 2019?

I recall reading somewhere that there was a law passed in 1987 that would prohibit the movement of the preakness out of baltimore with the only exception being some sort of emergency.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 AM   #156
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
How are things ever to get "balanced", when all the owners are like you...always looking for the shortest fields...and hoping that their horses run "unopposed" in the races?

Face it, Classhandicapper...you have joined the "establishment"...and you are now part of the problem, instead of being part of the "solution". You keep talking about the need for "balance"...even as you seek the shortest fields for your own horses.

As far as I know, owners aren't controlling or even influencing field sizes. It's a matter of what you are rooting for depending on where your participation is.

If one of my horses is running I want a 4 horse field.

If I am gambling I want a 10-12 horse field.

I root for different things, but I have zero power over anything. At this stage I am a nobody as an owner. I am also not aware of major owners having that power either.

Those in charge of the game have to understand those competing interests and try to keep the field sizes in an area that compromises between horse players looking for value and owners trying to pay trainer and vet bills. I'm going to guess they are already fully aware of that.

I'm not saying this is the right idea. I may be missing something. But several have suggested this.

Maybe purse sizes need to be adjusted by field size. If the field is very small then maybe the purse should be smaller and maybe you only pay down to 3rd or 4th. If the field is larger maybe the purse should be larger and maybe pay down a decent percent to 6th or 7th instead of 5th.

At least that would align owner rooting interests with gambling interests better.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 06-20-2017 at 11:50 AM.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #157
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
at that rate, just rename the Haskell to 'Preakness'

and then run the 'Belmont Stakes' 1 1⁄4 miles last Saturday in August at Saratoga.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #158
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If one of my horses is running I want a 4 horse field.

Not me. Unless I have the fastest horse and the smartest rider.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #159
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I recall reading somewhere that there was a law passed in 1987 that would prohibit the movement of the preakness out of baltimore with the only exception being some sort of emergency.
That law is totally invalid and unenforceable. The Preakness is a trademark. States and cities have zero power to restrict an owner's use of a federal trademark. Stronach can run a race anywhere he wants and call it the Preakness. The politicians aren't just grandstanding, they are clubhousing and turfclubbing too.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: