Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
thetripleclowns

Handicapper Sean Alvarez

We had the opportunity to interview Sean Alvarez who had a great story how golf lead him to horse racing and becoming a pro handicapper.

Who is your favorite handicapper, and what angle do you use when betting?

thetripleclowns is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetripleclowns View Post
Who is your favorite handicapper, and what angle do you use when betting?
"Angles"? Angles are shortcuts, and there are no "shortcuts" to success in this game...IMO. Can a Magnus Carlsen or a Garry Kasparov be beaten by someone using some cute chess opening moves? In this game, our knowledge has to be complete...and then we have to keep on our toes, and keep improving as our competition improves.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-09-2020 at 04:36 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
"Angles"? Angles are shortcuts, and there are no "shortcuts" to success in this game...IMO. Can a Magnus Carlsen or a Garry Kasparov be beaten by someone using some cute chess opening moves? In this game, our knowledge has to be complete...and then we have to keep on our toes, and keep improving as our competition improves.
I would agree that while it's just a tag line posted under a video, it does read like something written by someone who doesn't know much about horse racing. No one uses "an angle" and that's it, so it is awkward sounding.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
I would agree that while it's just a tag line posted under a video, it does read like something written by someone who doesn't know much about horse racing. No one uses "an angle" and that's it, so it is awkward sounding.
I think they're doing horse racing because sports is dead. I get the sense they had a sports/fantasy/gambling podcast in mind and they're filling time.

They seem like nice people.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have tons of angles I look for everyday as a regular part my evaluating a race. I don't bet just an angle, but I look for certain things - 3rd off a layoff, new pace top, young horses pairing up tops....all are clues to the big picture.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Andy Asaro

Sean Alvarez

@smoothturn2

Ex Golf Professional, Horse Racing Handicapper. Supporter of TAA & PDJF. Content contributor for http://racingdudes.com
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Cool

Nice interview. Now Sean Alvarez is on my watch-list for horseplayers.

A new player, or a weekend warrior can use automatic-bet angles, where IF such-and-such is happening AND odds or public ranking is such and such THEN $auto-bet a ticket.
No shame in that game.

Much of my DRF Watch List is essentially angles, that flag a horse and a race, and give me a framework to consider, to make a judgement call.

I kinda use the word 'angle' synonomously with the word 'models'<3 (or factors, etc...).

Attractive Angles/models (or a full field big Stakes, or a part of a possible multi-race sequence) draws me to look at a race in the first place. Then I hope to see my model being strong, and the Odds being in my favor. Then there are kind of a check-list of many commonly occurring models that happen to be significant in a good chunk of most races.

It's kinda like doing an SAT or IQ test, but where the answer "None of the Above" is as prominent as a choice, and where it takes place in a Market Environment. It can get crazy!
Old 06-10-2020, 09:38 PM   #8
AJRyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I think they're doing horse racing because sports is dead. I get the sense they had a sports/fantasy/gambling podcast in mind and they're filling time.

They seem like nice people.

Awww. Thanks. You seem nice too
AJRyder is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2020, 09:44 PM   #9
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJRyder View Post
Awww. Thanks. You seem nice too
I meant that. I watch your show. Each one of you have a nice demeanor.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:50 AM   #10
thetripleclowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
I meant that. I watch your show. Each one of you have a nice demeanor.
Thanks for watching our show. Our dynamic of knowledge of horse racing from one of us growing up with it, the other whose been into horse racing for about 5 years, to one of us jumping in this year I think brings a fun insight to the industry. Plus we like to have fun and I think that shows in each of our episodes.
thetripleclowns is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #11
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetripleclowns View Post
Thanks for watching our show. Our dynamic of knowledge of horse racing from one of us growing up with it, the other whose been into horse racing for about 5 years, to one of us jumping in this year I think brings a fun insight to the industry. Plus we like to have fun and I think that shows in each of our episodes.
If you’re looking to fill time, cover the things you have on the wall behind you.

AJ,

Besides the Green Bay logo, what else is up there? What’s hang worthy for you?

No reason at all other than knowing what you find hang worthy.