Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
tanner12oz

Best Tablets for Past Performances

I'm beginning to get annoyed with the amount of ink and paper that is needed for a weekend of playing. Also the live track experience with papers everywhere, blowing around etc etc. It appears the logical solution would be a tablet or other digital system. So what does everyone use? Requirements would be portability, battery life, screen quality and durability.

I typically use tfus and also ultimate pps from brisnet so it would need to be compatible with those. So any suggestions? Seems to be about a million options at a million different prices.

also an additional question..is there a list of tracks that offer quality free WiFi to patrons?
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
mabred

i have a few questions also

screen size and speed of machine .It wouldn't be anyfun to wait

for the pages and websites to load.Also on tfus do u stay online all the time handicapping or print it to a pdf file to view and handicap off.

sorry to chime in with these ??
thanks
mabred
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabred
i have a few questions also

screen size and speed of machine .It wouldn't be anyfun to wait

for the pages and websites to load.Also on tfus do u stay online all the time handicapping or print it to a pdf file to view and handicap off.

sorry to chime in with these ??
thanks
mabred
i would think downloading the files to the machine would solve any lag or constant data hogging of being on net 24/7. So i guess the tablet would need to be able to have adobe or some .pdf viewer. Chime away that's what this forum is all about
Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #4
goforgin
goforgin

I have an IPad and use the GoodReader app ($4.99 I think it was). But, from others on the board I hear there's free apps that work well too. Download the PP's and then you can mark them up using a stylus pen.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
I typically use tfus and also ultimate pps from brisnet so it would need to be compatible with those.
Re ultimate pps from brisnet -- aren't these always PDF files?

tsus -- is this Time form? Are these PDF files also or something else?
Old 08-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
tanner12oz

Yeah brisnet is always .pdf I think

I know certain platforms though don't digest adobe acrobat and the like well (windows mobile). So would need to make sure the tablet is compatible with however the pps were formatted...tfus doesn't work period on the windows platform which is IE exclusive..seems apple and the,Samsung galaxy line work just fine

Last edited by tanner12oz; 08-03-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
Grits

Quote:
I typically use tfus and also ultimate pps from brisnet so it would need to be compatible with those. So any suggestions? Seems to be about a million options at a million different prices.

also an additional question..is there a list of tracks that offer quality free WiFi to patrons?
An Ipad. (With a closed Verizon account, I don't have the WiFi concern.) I don't like the battery to get below 65% at the track, so I have a Mophie juice pak with phone and 2 amp connx. The Ipad needs the 2 amp; it recharges well and will charge phone at same time. I use the same PPs as you use, downloading them for use offline, or online, both for TFUS in realtime. For offline use, marking the files, apps are...FoxIt and Iannotate. The Mophie is compatible with Apple, not all battery chargers are. Purchased from the Apple store, its about $129.

I have a small Samsung tablet. I don't often use this one at the track, but if so, I use an Anker Astro E4 juice pak. I forget the price, maybe, $49.95 or so.

The case for the tablet's important. I'd buy a well made one. A Targus with hard supported corners, and built in stand works great for the Ipad. Good luck.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
upthecreek

Tablet

i use a Nextbook 8 ( 8 " screen) for the Bris PP's and adobe reader with no problems You can zoom in/out, mark with a "pencil" and print if you wish Ive only viewed the free Timeform PP's for the race of the day,but it seemed ok
I purchased the tablet at Walmart for $99
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
hogoffate

I use an iPad and use Iannotate to mark up the PP's. I love Iannotate, you can underline, highlight, type (different colors), and write on. You name it, it does it. At lone star park there are outlets in each cubicle to plug in. They also have free Wifi. I know Oaklawn Park also has free wifi.
hogoffate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #10
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

If you're a player that's never tried using a tablet before, I'd strongly recommend you borrow one before opening up your wallet. There are many of us who can't make the conversion, at least comfortably, from printouts or a large desktop monitor to smaller screens.

I've got a Nexus 7, and it's not only too small for me, but lacks the mouse interface which makes navigation so much easier. I'm constantly zooming in to portions of a PP to read the finer print. Even with TFUS, which displays nicely compared to a Brisnet PP, I can only read one PP line when the screen is turned sideways in landscape mode. I find the Nexus is pretty good for books or youtube videos, but doesn't cut the mustard for PPs.

Larger tablets help, but I still prefer my 24 inch monitor at home above all else....
Old 08-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

a million choices out there...........

Ipad with Iannotate is what I used to use when I went to the races

Still can't find my way to Lone Star. Someday.

I did just buy a new laptop for work. Very impressed. It has a "display" tablet style mode.....touchscreen ... which just means it opens to 300 deg and sits up nicely so you can use it like a tablet. 7 hour battery life Pretty damn nice so far. Only had it two days. But so far I love it. Fast as hell and looks beautiful. It's a real laptop. you just flip it over and use either way. Win 8.1 which I am beginning to love........

Tons of Hybrids out there....... lately. Check em out.

Lenovo Flex 2 14-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (59418276) Grey
$749 Amazon Prime

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lenovo.jpg (19.6 KB, 427 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
PIC6SIX

I am not a computer guru. However. I play many online contests and I download the free contest PPs for post race reference and obviously pre-race handicapping. My Samsung Notebook computer works fine. I have used it for on track handicapping at Santa Anita also and it worked fine. Their WIFI was fine and I was able to access my DRF PPs without a problem.

However, I still prefer paper PPs so I can mark them and crossreference / compare horses more easily.
PIC6SIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
elhelmete

I use a Toshiba running Android, 9" screen and a stylus. I use qPDF to make annotations. I always use a PDF to start with.

I commented elsewhere about something I'm seeing at tracks that offer free WiFi. Some of them block access to sites that don't fall under their corporate umbrella like other ADWs. Even equibase got blocked for me at one place. I wouldn't doubt if at some point they block access to TFUS or DRF or Bris, etc. Of course 4G gets you over this hump but I won't spring for it on a tablet.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
Capper Al

I like my ASUS 10.1 tablet. It has good battery life. Windows 8 isn't intuitive. It takes a bit of getting use to.
Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 PM   #15
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Galaxy Note 10.1 here, love it.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply