Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #76
tucker6

Joanie's obituary was posted today. A great life indeed. She gathered no moss on the bottom of those feet.

Joanie Marie Hanebury Davison

(Sept. 10, 1947 - Feb. 17, 2013)

Joanie Marie Hanebury Davison died in her sleep on Sunday morning, Feb. 17, 2013 at the University of Colorado Hospital in Denver, Colo. Joanie lived with her husband and partner Mitch Davison on their farm near Powell. She was 65 years young.

Joanie was born on Sept. 10, 1947 in Brooklyn, N.Y. Her early childhood was in the same three-story house that her mother Marie Struzzieri Hanebury (1912-2011) was born in. Her father Raymond Hanebury (1916-1977) emigrated from an English-Irish community of St. John’s, Newfoundland.

In 1956, Raymond moved Joanie and her brother Louis (1950) to Elmont, Long Island, N.Y., and she graduated from Elmont Memorial High School in 1965. Joanie was an art and design student. Her drawings, however, were of animals and horses. She went to work for a New York department store as a window dresser for a while, but eventually took a job at Aqueduct and Belmont race tracks as a groom and walker. She worked at Belmont during the 2- and 3 year-old campaigns of champion thoroughbred racehorse Foolish Pleasure. Here she acquired significant knowledge about horses, trainers and breeders.

Joanie moved to Ocala, Fla., and worked on a horse breeding farm which led her to a job raising Appaloosas near Rifle, Colo. The ranch eventually moved to Dayton, Wyo. Joanie’s search for who she was led her temporally to California.

That adventure brought her back to Cody, and close to her brother Louis who lived in Meeteetse, working on the Black Footed Ferret re-introduction. She worked various jobs including laying track for the Burlington Northern Railroad and security guard for the Cody Museum. Joanie was also the dutiful daughter and welcomed her mother Marie in her life’s travels. Joanie’s search for who she was finally ended when she met Mitch Davison, a widower with two young sons. For the next 27 years she and Mitch raised two boys and ran a farm and cattle operation eventually encompassing 700 irrigated acres across 20 miles.

Joanie discovered that Foolish Pleasure had retired to a ranch in Wyoming. The Vanderhoefs, owners of the ranch, struck up a new relationship with Joanie and gave her a thoroughbred mare in foal to start her own Foolish Dream Farm. As a member of the American Quarter Horse Association, she created an amazing website and raised quality quarter horse/thoroughbred weanling prospects that were built for speed. She sold foals across the U.S. and Canada.

Joanie was the dutiful mother, cook, nurse, chauffeur, parts-chaser and truck driver. Although busy 24/7 with helping with the farm, Joanie was the consummate interior decorator — always remodeling and painting. She was a student of the Internet. If she didn’t know how to do something, she would research on the web until the project was accomplished.

She discovered that her father, who was in eight campaigns in WWII, was awarded many medals that he never did receive. What would have been history lost, she acquired for her nephews.

Joanie and Mitch loved to take their dogs and/or horses on trips to the Big Horn or Pryor Mountains. The Pryors were her favorite and they enjoyed a few select spots that were special to them. Joanie and Mitch were able to go on their second vacation ever to Glacier National Park in September of 2012 which she enjoyed immensely.

Perhaps the quality that most did not know was that Joanie would think of those who others did not. She was there for many when they were sick or needed help. She would write letters and include photos or send earrings or little gifts and say “I thought you would like these” or “I thought of you when I saw this.” She was one who did not advertise her sacrifices or good deeds. Joanie kept in touch with friends and relatives and sent reminders that she knew and cared. Joanie shared all that she did by sending Internet links on how to remodel this, how to fix this aliment, look at what we did ... all fully illustrated in photos. Her loved ones will miss her letters, her cards, her gifts and her almost daily email.

Joanie is survived by her husband Mitch and his dad Duane Davison; her boys Tyler and Josh, their wives Brandy and Autumn and grandkids: Colby and Melynda, and Hailey, Zoey, Mckayla and baby Ashlynn; her brother “Louieee”, his wife Bridget and nephews Eaon and Connor. Her dogs Gus and Arwen miss her very much.

A memorial service will take place at the New Life Church in Powell at 10:30 a.m. on Friday, March 1. Please come and join in sharing your memories of Joanie.

Donations in her honor can be made to Old Friends (a race horse retirement home in Kentucky).
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #77
Shelby

Thank you, Tucker6 for sharing this with us. What a wonderful person Joanie was.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #78
pandy

Thanks for posting.

It's good to acknowledge someone's life. Celebrities get their acknowledgements but everyone is special in their own way.

My wife was watching the Home & Family show on the Hallmark Channel a few weeks ago and one of their guests was a woman who helps people create video legacys of their life on DVD so that their family can remember them. There are also legacy websites and people are starting to put together photos, documents, etc. and creating dvds to remember those who have passed on.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #79
MAGICHORSEMAN
magichorseman

Joanied

I am sorry to hear of her passing. She always had something interesting to comment.
MAGICHORSEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #80
wisconsin

Feel lucky to have known her via PA.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #81
Investorater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Joanie's family will love her and mourn her passing for quite a long time. She's left a void that may never be filled.

If we believe. And I do. We feel comfort in the knowledge that we'll be reunited with those we love. Having left her earthly life behind, she's now with family, with friends, and as we know from her presence here, her horses. All have been waiting for her.

What more could we ask? Enjoy your rest, Joanie.

This is a great eulogy.
Investorater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #82
westny

How sad.

I cannot read Joanie's eulogy w/o tears.

Seems the good die young.

RIP.
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #83
bisket

Jonied and I became good friends on this forum 4 years ago. You can meet people on these forums that can become a big part of your daily life. Jonied became one of these people. Winter, Jonied, and I followed each other from one forum to the next. I realized from reading through this thread that she thought alot of me as well. I don't frequent this forum as much as I once did, but some of you might remember I like to use short you tube videos to augment my posts. I attached one of the clydesdale commercials to a post, and jonied got the biggest kick out of it. One thing that hasn't come to light is jonied sold her crops to Budwieser every year. The commercial was the beginning of a great friendship. I really enjoyed the obituary, thanks for posting it.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #84
statepierback

R.I.P.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #85
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I wanted to let you all know that my dear friend, Joanied, and a member of this forum, has passed away.

For Joanied, horses were in her blood, her heart, and her soul. She was an incredibly hard worker, a friend to all animals esp. horses, and a delightful person in general.

She loved to talk about horses, horseracing, and anything connected to our sport, and she had an deep reverence for all that this encompassed. She shared a lot of that with us here and it came through so genuinely.

I learned much about horses from Joanied, and a lot about keeping a cheery attitude.

She had a tremendous amount of gratitude for the opportunity to own and be around her beloved horses. She once wrote, when people remarked on what loving care she gave her thoroughbreds:
"My mares may be lucky to have me....just as I'm sure every horse owned by someone is lucky to have them...but you know what....I am the lucky one...I've been blessed with wonderful mares that made my Foolish Dreams come true!

RIP my dear friend. I hope you are riding a gentle shedrow pony on the backside in Heaven. You will be so deeply missed.
I am shocked because she was one of the best posters I ever exchanged posts with and her apparent knowledge of horses was undisputable.

My sincere condolences go out to her family and friends.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #86
WinterTriangle

I just have one last thing to add, her obit came out on Feb 26th in paper and the family requested that in her memory/honor they set it up with Old Friends race horse retirement/rescue home in KY

Old Friends has been contacted and knows the story so if you ever wanted to make a donation there and want to honor Joanied then you can send in honor of Joanie D.

Joanie talked about Old Friends all the time, so I know that she would be delighted to know that feed, etc. was going to the Thoroughbreds there in her honor.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/
Old Friends, Inc.
1841 Paynes Depot Rd.
Georgetown, KY 40324
Phone: 502-863-1775

They have a facility in NY now as well as KY.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #87
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I just have one last thing to add, her obit came out on Feb 26th in paper and the family requested that in her memory/honor they set it up with Old Friends race horse retirement/rescue home in KY

Old Friends has been contacted and knows the story so if you ever wanted to make a donation there and want to honor Joanied then you can send in honor of Joanie D.

Joanie talked about Old Friends all the time, so I know that she would be delighted to know that feed, etc. was going to the Thoroughbreds there in her honor.

http://www.oldfriendsequine.org/
Old Friends, Inc.
1841 Paynes Depot Rd.
Georgetown, KY 40324
Phone: 502-863-1775

They have a facility in NY now as well as KY.
A fine way to honor Joanied indeed .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #88
MickJ26

This is a tough bunch, the posters here at Pace Advantage. For somebody to have earned nearly universal respect, you must've been quite a person. Rest in peace, Joanie.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #89
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
Oh wow, how sad.

Joanied had once shared her life story with me on this very board. I always hoped she would make it once again to a major racetrack as she yearned to do so badly. A hard worker, she was, and she will be missed.
When her mom passed away a few years ago she buried her in New York. She got to tie up a lot of loose ends in her life, and visit Belmont Park. We were discussing her mom's funeral, and I told her that the day of the funeral would be a good day. I explained to her my idea of a good day. A good day is a day you can laugh, spend some time in thought, and have you're emotions mover to tears. Reading through this thread made my day....

Jimmy V
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: