Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-07-2018, 06:20 AM   #31
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

All we can do here is watch and pray .
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #32
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
I think this is a bit disingenuous. The authorities are receiving expert help with teams from foreign countries including US, Australia, China and expert cave dive rescuers from the UK who first found the kids, as well as many others from other countries. I am sure they are doing everything possible and looking at every option. They have already pumped out 130 million litres of water but it is not an easy task. They are building dams to divert the water flow. They have miles of piping and around 100 industrial water pumps. Air lines have now been established to provide oxygen. They are being well fed and there are doctors with them. It looks like everything possible is being looked at. These children are being incredibly brave and resilient and the guys trying to get them out are heroes risking their own lives as we have already seen.

All the pictures I have seen look like a 3rd world country operation. That is pretty obvious to most people, obviously not you.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #33
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
All the pictures I have seen look like a 3rd world country operation. That is pretty obvious to most people, obviously not you.
With pics I'm seeing dated yesterday, I have to agree with ID. None of us are on site, so it's all guesswork. As of yesterday, the "Authorities" are still putting their rescue plan together. Air is low in the trapped chamber as of Yesterday's reporting. It looks like the rescue plan is using divers/cavers rather than Miners. When miners get trapped underground in water, Millions of gallons in the 2002 Pa. mine, they brought in Mine drillers, not divers or cave experts. I pray for a good outcome, but experts dying on site is not a good omen.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:01 AM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think we can safely assume the best and brightest are on the scene or on the job on this. When tragedy strikes, people come together. It is stronger than politics. It is just how most humans are wired.

I heard today they are talking about trying to use a buddy system to get the kids out one at a time with a pro diver at their side. Keep good thoughts.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #35
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I think we can safely assume the best and brightest are on the scene or on the job on this. When tragedy strikes, people come together. It is stronger than politics. It is just how most humans are wired.

I heard today they are talking about trying to use a buddy system to get the kids out one at a time with a pro diver at their side. Keep good thoughts.

I wasn't implying there weren't bright people there. I just don't see enough hands on deck, supplies or equipment. I saw one picture where it looked like water was pumped into a small holding pond and was being removed by buckets. Plenty can be going on while further strategy is discussed.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #36
Marshall Bennett

In my opinion pumping water or however they try to remove it is wasting precious time. That time should be used elsewhere. If it rains as much as its suppose to it may not matter anymore anyway. I believe the weather begins to move in starting tonight and just gets worse.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 12:36 PM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
I wasn't implying there weren't bright people there. I just don't see enough hands on deck, supplies or equipment. I saw one picture where it looked like water was pumped into a small holding pond and was being removed by buckets. Plenty can be going on while further strategy is discussed.
I didn't mean to imply you did.
Sorry if I came off that way.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #38
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
In my opinion pumping water or however they try to remove it is wasting precious time. That time should be used elsewhere. If it rains as much as its suppose to it may not matter anymore anyway. I believe the weather begins to move in starting tonight and just gets worse.

It isn't like there are a limited amount of man hours bid on this job. People can be pumping water while others are trying to divert water from re-entering. While that is going on rescue plans can be made. You are acting like there are limited resources, there should not be at this stage. All hands on deck! I think if this happened in the USA those kids would have been discovered sooner and out by now. Sorry, but I am a USA homer and think we do everything better.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 07-07-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #39
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

As of 6 A.M., the attempted rescue is underway.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 AM   #40
snappit

Quote:
It isn't like there are a limited amount of man hours bid on this job. People can be pumping water while others are trying to divert water from re-entering. While that is going on rescue plans can be made. You are acting like there are limited resources, there should not be at this stage. All hands on deck! I think if this happened in the USA those kids would have been discovered sooner and out by now. Sorry, but I am a USA homer and think we do everything better.
I think this is an absolutely awful post. Words almost fail me. You've no idea what is actually happening over there, your assumptions are based on the way you've interpreted what you seen in a few pictures with no facts to back up anything you say. You haven't a clue what they are trying or looking at. You haven't a clue about the difficulties they have and the decisions they have to make. There are over a thousand people on site doing everything they can for these children. Your last line says everything, a total insult to the Thai's and the people from many other countries providing expert help and equipment, doing everything they can and risking their lives You're basing everything on the fact that these people don't know what they are doing because they are foreign.Total xenophobia. Just for your information as you are an armchair expert, they are pumping water and building dams. Just because you don't know what is happening doesn't mean things aren't.

I apologise to all the decent people on here for my rant but the post that was made has made me angry.

Anyway, it looks like the operation to get the kids out has begun.

From a reporter on the scene:

Thai government releases graphic about #thamluangcaverescue . Full face masks; 2 divers accompanying 1 boy; guided by rope. When facing a very narrow path, they will release the tank from back and slowly roll tank & guide the boy through. They walk from Chamber 3 to mouth of cave

This requires high-level skills of the divers; the boys should have some diving skills, strong mind and should not be panicking.

The first boy is due out around 2100 (1400 GMT).

Let's hope for a successful outcome and wishing all the best to the boys and the brave people trying to get them out.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 08:05 AM   #41
snappit

Reports are coming in from Reuters, apparently from local officials that two boys have been rescued. We have to take these reports with caution as there has been no official confirmation however, news over here is showing two ambulances leaving the scene. Let's hope this is good news.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #42
metro

Quote:
Reports are coming in from Reuters, apparently from local officials that two boys have been rescued. We have to take these reports with caution as there has been no official confirmation however, news over here is showing two ambulances leaving the scene. Let's hope this is good news.
seeing on Twitter that four boys have now been rescued.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #43
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Great news.....
Old 07-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #44
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Great news.....
Yes, really good news. The four are all now in hospital and being assessed by doctors. Operations have now been suspended while more preparations are made to get the rest out and to enable the divers to get some rest. There is a concern that it is now raining but they say if water levels rise too much they have an emergency plan to get the others out. Still a long way to go but we have to be optimistic.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #45
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Your last line says everything, a total insult to the Thai's and the people from many other countries providing expert help and equipment, doing everything they can and risking their lives You're basing everything on the fact that these people don't know what they are doing because they are foreign.Total xenophobia.
To be fair, pretty sure he didn't state they don't know what they're doing. Just that he thinks it can be done better.

It's the internet. Happens.