Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
linrom1
Veteran

Pyron- Why Racing Not Game for General Public

Pyron(KY) won OP 7th $83k Maiden Special Weight race yesterday going off at odds of 4.9-1.

When I saw that this FTS was trained by Asmussen and ridden by Santana, I like most became very curious about this horse until I saw that the horse was sold for measly $15k. Being out of Candy Ride(ARG) that stands for $80k and out a mare by Tapit something did not look right?

I also heard OP announcer and track analyst wondering the same thing. How could it be, what's wrong with this horse "does he have two front legs pointing in diametrically opposing directions" Vic Stauffer wondered? So like most I looked elsewhere.

But after the race, given how easily this horse won defeating some nice colts, I decided to investigate.

What I found curious is that the horse was sold at Fasig-Titon May Midlantic 2-year olds in training sale to KDA Equine for $15k by Winchell Thoroughbreds. So who is KDA Equine, why non other than Asmussen who was likely already training this horse.

The horse current owner is also listed as Winchell Thoroughbreds! What is going on here?

Now had I and likely other bettors known that KDA Equine was Steve Asmussesn, we would have been all over this horse. But we were mislead by the low sale price, which was no at-arms transaction at all, but some kind of scheme by Winchell and Asumussen that created the impression that this 15k horse was likely not very good.

Further, since both breeder and owner were the same, $15k sale price must have been RNA; that's, the horse did even meet this sale reserve, which is what most would conclude.

Last edited by linrom1; 02-25-2019 at 02:06 PM.
linrom1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

race 6

Horse was BRED by Winchill and was clearly run under the ownership by Winchill.

This is a homebred.

Why are you giving relevance to a sales/buy-back(KDE not KDA) when the breeder regained ownership?

First-call jock, First-call owner, solid works, 3rd choice morning line, and he went off 3rd choice in the betting. No unusual betting action whatsoever...
Old 02-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrom1 View Post
Pyron(KY) won OP 7th $83k Maiden Special Weight race yesterday going off at odds of 4.9-1.

When I saw that this FTS was trained by Asmussen and ridden by Santana, I like most became very curious about this horse until I saw that the horse was sold for measly $15k. Being out of Candy Ride(ARG) that stands for $80k and out a mare by Tapit something did not look right?

I also heard OP announcer and track analyst wondering the same thing. How could it be, what's wrong with this horse "does he have two front legs pointing in diametrically opposing directions" Vic Stauffer wondered? So like most I looked elsewhere.

But after the race, given how easily this horse won defeating some nice colts, I decided to investigate.

What I found curious is that the horse was sold at Fasig-Titon May Midlantic 2-year olds in training sale to KDA Equine for $15k by Winchell Thoroughbreds. So who is KDA Equine, why non other than Asmussen who was likely already training this horse.

The horse current owner is also listed as Winchell Thoroughbreds! What is going on here?

Now had I and likely other bettors known that KDA Equine was Steve Asmussesn, we would have been all over this horse. But we were mislead by the low sale price, which was no at-arms transaction at all, but some kind of scheme by Winchell and Asumussen that created the impression that this 15k horse was likely not very good.

Further, since both breeder and owner were the same, $15k sale price must have been RNA; that's, the horse did even meet this sale reserve, which is what most would conclude.
So tell us how Winchell/Asmussen kept everyone else at the sale from bidding on the horse? Looking at his pedigree, I assume the horse has bad confirmation/physical issues and/or doesn't travel well.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Why are you giving relevance to a sales/buy-back
Cheap horses win cheap races!
Old 02-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
dilanesp

Someone cashed a ticket.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Cheap horses win cheap races!
Silly absolutist statement, which is easily disproven in about 60 seconds - check out your DRF - surely, you'll find horses that sell for low prices that win stake races.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
Silly absolutist statement, which is easily disproven in about 60 seconds - check out your DRF - surely, you'll find horses that sell for low prices that win stake races.
Why don't you get lost, instead off bothering posters with your stupid remarks.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #8
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Just trying to help you out with your ignorance on this matter, but stay ignorant.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

We can rule out any and all worries that this was a "scheme" by Winchell Thoroughbreds or Steve Asmussen.

Cards were on the table, and no betting coup took place.

I can see how it could have been confusing/bad-beat, particularly if you had liked the horse and then Vic and/or the price tag had talked you off the horse, but you'll have more 5-1 shots.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #10
the little guy

You have to give linrom credit. It's not easy to continue to outdo yourself as the worst poster on the site....but somehow he continues to deliver. Having absolutely no game is an art form.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
You have to give linrom credit. It's not easy to continue to outdo yourself as the worst poster on the site....but somehow he continues to deliver. Having absolutely no game is an art form.
Great another industry shill popped up! Are you and Saratoga Mike on a break from shoveling snow from Chris McKay's driveway?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
AskinHaskin

Quote:

Wait, was Linrom the person talking about ‘stupid remarks’??

Racing is “not a game for the general public” only because it continues to cater to 1% of its own present audience at the full expense of its entire future.

This, as always, has zero to do with anything Linrom ”saw”, “heard”, “found” or “know(s)”.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #13
linrom1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
We can rule out any and all worries that this was a "scheme" by Winchell Thoroughbreds or Steve Asmussen.

Cards were on the table, and no betting coup took place.

I can see how it could have been confusing/bad-beat, particularly if you had liked the horse and then Vic and/or the price tag had talked you off the horse, but you'll have more 5-1 shots.
I wasn't thinking in terms of owner/trainer making wagering profit.

I think it could have something to do with how income is taxed vs capital gains and this was some-kind of bonus paid by Winchell to Asmussen--there is no other way to explain it?

Vic had nothing to do with this, in MSW races I always evaluate owner with price they pay for the horse.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
the little guy

Quote:
Great another industry shill popped up! Are you and Saratoga Mike on a break from shoveling snow from Chris McKay's driveway?

Who's the other industry shill besides me? I don't like the idea of competition.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #15
HorsemenHeist

Lets say the horse was purchased for $15,000 despite that pedigree. There are many races (including maiden claiming) that a sharp trainer like Asmussen could target with a horse like that at Oaklawn to more than pay the purchase price of the horse. Yet he chose to debut this runner in a straight maiden with his first call jockey on. Asmussen has started many horses bought for much more in maiden claiming, so that should have raised an eye right there. The horse might not have been right at the time of the sale, but the confidence from a great trainer to debut in a MSW with his top call jockey would be enough to mitigate IMO.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply