Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
OverlayHunter

I should have been more clear. By other machines, I meant other Win 7 machines. It's one thing for me and others to send you information from our machines but it's quite another for you to have access to a machine when the software installs correctly so you can actual poke, prod, examine,and make comparisons. Just the act of doing that may trigger a thought or idea if not actually present you with a solution.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #62
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRacer
DJofSD,

At this point it doesn't look like it's the fonts, but I would like to know if you have an install.log in the BRISCust folder and if the program hung when you tried to install it.

I'm attaching 2 install.log files. I've renamed then GenXPinstalllog.txt and GenW7installlog.txt. I changed the log extension to txt so it will open in your text viewer. The 1st one is the install.log from my Virtual PC windows Xp mode. The 2nd is my install.log from my installation on Windows 7. The 1st one copied a lot of files into the system32 folder. The 2nd one copied or overwrote files in the system 32 folder, except I couldn't find most of those programs in the system32 folder. So what was it overwriting. I think Windows 7 takes those files an puts them in the SysWOW64 folder.

This is a link to a topic that might help.
http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-...6-syswow64.htm

Below is a list of files from the install.log. I believe they should probably be in your SysWOW64 folder but no sure.

MBMouse.ocx
MSCOMCTL.OCX
Tab32x30.ocx
tdbg8.ocx
UIToolX.ocx
xadb8.ocx

comcat.dll *
dao360.dll
duzactx.dll
mfc42.dll *
msvbvm60.dll
msvcrt.dll *
oleaut32.dll *
olepro32.dll
Vb5db.dll *
Vb6stkit.dll
vbajet32.dll

stdole2.tlb

The ones with the asterisks are in my c:\windows\system32 folder. Use Windows explorer to see if these files are in your sysWOW64 folder. Check the files below first, they're the ones I don't think are installed when the program hangs when trying to install the fonts. They're suppose to be installed after the fonts along with custompp.exe.

Actbar2.ocx
duzactx.dll
dao360.dll
vbajet32.dll
Vb6stkit.dll

Did your computer come with Windows 7 installed or did your install it over Windows XP? I installed mine over Windows XP and maybe it moved the 32 bit files to sysWOW64 folder during installation and that might be why I have them and you don't . Just a guess.

Both logs show "Could not Self-Register: C:\Windows\System32\Vb5db.dll" and but program works fine. The rest of the files are self registering.

Hope this give you some ideas.
A partial response to some of the items in the message (damn, too much to watch: US Open, WC all going at the same time. Next weekend LPGA up against the WC too. Good thing they invented the DVR.)

Thanks for posting the installation logs from the Wise installer. I have grabbed the log from my Vista system and will bash them against each other using my fav app for that, Beyond Compare 2. I'll post my findings later.

I did do a manual inspection of the list gleaned from the installation log.
All of the files were found on both the Vista (no surprise) and W7 64-bit systems. For Vista, all found in system32 and for W7 all in SysWOW64.

The W7 system was purchased as a new box with W7 factory installed. The Vista laptop has been a sand box of sort, and, it has been wiped with a clean, bare machine install of Vista 32-bit and a few other software packages installed.

Yes, I have a W7 32-bit system my son uses for WoT. I don't do anything on it except to keep it up to date and the occasional defrag. I guess it could be instructive to do an initial installation of the BRIS app to see what happens. And, as I recall, the Beyond Compare utility will allow me to do a before and after snap shot of the systems contents to facilitate a before/after comparison of what the Wise installation utility would change. What I will need to review is if the registry updates are capable of being captured using that approach or not. In any event, I have my own utility to take snap shots of the registry so the utility can then do a comparison to find those changes.

TTFN - back to WC and the US Open.

Thanks for all the info and assistance.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:58 AM   #63
takeout

I like the PP Generator, too, but when I went from XP to 7 I had to quit using it and go back to pdfs because the data file won't show “1/2” lengths any more in the running lines. All of the other beaten-length fractions seem to be there but the halves are all missing. Not sure, but in KyRacer's post #11, it looks like the halves are missing there as well. I tried to get a pdf of that day to verify but of course I'm too late it's no longer available.
takeout is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 04:40 AM   #64
KyRacer

takeout,

Your absolutely right. the half's with the underline are missing. I took a screen shot from multicaps and it showed them on it's pp's. I looked at the character map of the fonts and the half's with the underline seem to be missing. It's late, I'll look at it closer later today. This was mentioned in another tread a couple of years ago. Now I know what they were talking about. I usually use multicaps to look at the pps of individual horses, the Generator for workouts and trainer stats and other things.

This is what it should've look like.

Attached Images
File Type: gif ScreenHunter_12 Jun. 15 04.17.gif (41.9 KB, 478 views)

Last edited by KyRacer; 06-15-2014 at 04:41 AM.
KyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #65
OverlayHunter

Thanks for solving that mystery,takeout, they are missing when I view on my Windows 8 machine as well. Must be a hardwired bug in the software. The data is definitely in the delimited file but it never makes it to the screen.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #66
socialnetworker

Past Brisnet PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeout
I tried to get a pdf of that day to verify but of course I'm too late it's no longer available.
Does anybody know anybody willing to help assemble an archive of past PPs
(besides Brisnet ).

I would like to purchase entire seasons for research purposes at a reasonable cost.
socialnetworker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #67
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Yes, I have a W7 32-bit system my son uses for WoT. I don't do anything on it except to keep it up to date and the occasional defrag. I guess it could be instructive to do an initial installation of the BRIS app to see what happens. And, as I recall, the Beyond Compare utility will allow me to do a before and after snap shot of the systems contents to facilitate a before/after comparison of what the Wise installation utility would change. What I will need to review is if the registry updates are capable of being captured using that approach or not. In any event, I have my own utility to take snap shots of the registry so the utility can then do a comparison to find those changes.
OK, back to it.

ATM, I plan to use my son's PC to do more work on why I can not execute custompp.exe on my W7 64-bit system. This will be much later today or tomorrow.

It is a system that has never had this app installed before and the system is relatively "clean/skinny", i.e. there is not too much else installed on it.

Any suggestions before I begin?
Old 09-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #68
upthecreek

Bris PP Generator& 64 bit OS

Is anyone able to run the Bris PP generator on a 64 bit is,specifically W8.1?
I ask a Bris tech ,they said it only runs on a 32 bit system I also read something about Wow 64 thats included w/ window 64 bit is that makes running 32 bit programs possible?
Thnx
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2014, 07:35 AM   #69
Jingle

I do not had a problem running the Bris PP's on my Win 7, 64bit Toshiba laptop. I am using ver. 2.40 of the PP Generator. I am not sure it will work with later versions.
Jingle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #70
GameTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I ask a Bris tech ,they said it only runs on a 32 bit system I also read something about Wow 64 thats included w/ window 64 bit is that makes running 32 bit programs possible?
Windows 64-bit versions run 32-bit software with no problem and with no extra steps, in general. It is not the 32 vs 64 bit per se that causes the incompatibility, just certain other parts of the OS that the old program is relying on means that some programs don't work with the newest versions, so sometimes you can use the built-in compatibility mode (on the shortcut that runs the program, right-click and go to the compatibility tab and set to an older OS version) which works sometimes, but often not. Or use a full-blown virtual machine running Windows XP, which is a pain for only one program but it is pretty much guaranteed to work...
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #71
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
Thnx
Of course Bris tech didn't know what he was talking about-just ran install and it works fine Didn't have to do anything just install & run
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 01:37 AM   #72
hyipro

CANNOT OPEN BRIS FILE FOR 1031 BC

I tried to open the file as I usually due, and I keep getting the message
"subscript out of range" cannot close the program, after the message
I have to do a windows force restart. Does this message mean I cannot
use the file, I would assume so any thoughts ??
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #73
Fingal

I had the same thing happen, even had to do the forced shutdown. Now when I open it I still get that message, but when I click continously the "OK" button on that out of range message the pps eventually come up. Strange.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-28-2014, 12:41 PM   #74
DJofSD
Screw PC

As a guess, it is probably an error with some of the data in the file which the parser can't handle or the routine to stuff the data into the FoxPro database can not handle.

If so, when the next version of the same data file is posted by BRIS after the fields are finalized and the post positions are known, that error will likely go away.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #75
hyipro

spoke with bris about the problem

bad data files, and the large size of the fields, should be fixed by early tonight
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: