Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 08-17-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
incoming

ANOTHER SANCTUARY CITY FALLS

Miami is no longer a sanctuary city...AG Jeff Session points accusing finger at Chicago....story at link.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/55432...#sp=show-clips
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

You know, those funds to the cities that Trump want to withhold?
After thinking about it, I have to say, why is ANY city getting federal finds for anything? I don't want ollar one of my taxes going to Chicago for any reason, or New York, or any other place. If the Fed has enough money to pay for cities, they can damn will cut my takes.

States and cities should be on their own.
For every damn thing.

Withhold it ALL, Donald. ALL!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Jess Hawsen Arown

The will of the people.

We shall not allow the liberal-infested Democratic Party to pick and choose which laws they wish to respect and which laws they wish to ignore.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
After thinking about it, I have to say, why is ANY city getting federal finds for anything? I don't want dollar one of my taxes going to Chicago for any reason, or New York, or any other place. If the Fed has enough money to pay for cities, they can damn will cut my takes.
Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution lists the powers of Congress, the things that they have the authority and responsibility to deal with. I see nothing there that by any stretch of the imagination would include federal financing of any city.

The Tenth Amendment states:
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
It is my considered legal opinion, unhampered and unbiased by any legal training, that funding of any city activity is the responsibility of the state and/or the citizens of that city.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution lists the powers of Congress, the things that they have the authority and responsibility to deal with. I see nothing there that by any stretch of the imagination would include federal financing of any city.

The Tenth Amendment states:
It is my considered legal opinion, unhampered and unbiased by any legal training, that funding of any city activity is the responsibility of the state and/or the citizens of that city.
Oooh...you're no friend of the teachers' unions.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
chadk66

all this federal funding for anything and everything needs to stop. If states want shit they can tax their citizens for it. more swamp draining has to happen. that includes federal financing.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Oooh...you're no friend of the teachers' unions.
I will be if they ever start teaching the Constitution in schools.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #8
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
I will be if they ever start teaching the Constitution in schools.
Hell will freeze over first and fish will be swimming the streets in downtown Miami before that ever happens.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
FantasticDan
gelding

US Judge permanently blocks Trump order to cut funding to sanctuary cities:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ctuary-cities/

Quote:
“The Constitution vests the spending powers in Congress, not the President, so the Executive Order cannot constitutionally place new conditions on federal funds. Further, the Tenth Amendment requires that conditions on federal funds be unambiguous and timely made; that they bear some relation to the funds at issue; and that they not be unduly coercive,” the judge wrote. “Federal funding that bears no meaningful relationship to immigration enforcement cannot be threatened merely because a jurisdiction chooses an immigration enforcement strategy of which the President disapproves.”
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
MadTiger

"Follow the money."

These federal funds are in play by BOTH major parties. They are used as bargaining chips to keep their status quos.
MadTiger is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #11
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

The good news I take from these decisions is that eventually they'll run their course through the courts and solidify the right of the feds to take these and other federal actions. Sometimes Dan, it's better to keep the court card in the back pocket and negotiate better than to expose your hand for the losing proposition it is.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I think this would not hold up in the Supreme Kourt.
OR, Congress could step up and doi its job and cut off funding to any city that defies the laws.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:24 PM   #13
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

When Obama threatened to cut off aid through EO for schools that would not allow kids to pick their own rest room I did not hear a peep out of liberals saying it is unconstitutional for a president to do that. Democrats are so two faced it is pathetic. Did you Dan stand up for the schools at that time? Did you?
Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #14
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
When Obama threatened to cut off aid through EO for schools that would not allow kids to pick their own rest room I did not hear a peep out of liberals saying it is unconstitutional for a president to do that. Democrats are so two faced it is pathetic. Did you Dan stand up for the schools at that time? Did you?
All the Obama admin did was send guidance information to schools as to their legal and civil rights requirements in regard to transgender students. The only "threat" was citing that all federally-funded schools were required to follow these obligations.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2017, 03:28 PM   #15
chadk66

it's best if congress actually does it. that will expose those that are for sanctuary cities and it won't be able to be over ridden by a liberal president.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply