Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
Overlay

That's A Lovely Dress You Have On, Mrs. Cleaver

Eddie Haskell

Ken Osmond, whose portrayal of Wally Cleaver's friend Eddie Haskell on the sitcom Leave It to Beaver in the late 1950's and early 1960's made the character's name a timeless eponym for an insincere sycophant, has passed away of undisclosed causes in Los Angeles at age 76.
Overlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay View Post
Eddie Haskell

Ken Osmond, whose portrayal of Wally Cleaver's friend Eddie Haskell on the sitcom Leave It to Beaver in the late 1950's and early 1960's made the character's name a timeless eponym for an insincere sycophant, has passed away of undisclosed causes in Los Angeles at age 76.
I saw the headline on another site and thought if it wasn't already wasn't posted I was going to post it with a similiar thread title to yours (Mine was going to be "You're looking especially lovely today, Mrs. Cleaver" Great minds thinking alike.).Eddie Haskell is one of television's all time great characters.Of course the only one he ever fooled with his insincere politeness act was himself.

Later Ken Osmond joined the LAPD.I'm sure it was tough to arrest young thugs when they were calling him Officer Eddie Haskell.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 05-18-2020 at 05:03 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I have always referred to Monmouth's big race as The Eddie Haskell.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 06:15 PM   #4
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Yes, it was named after a California horse.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
Marshall Bennett

Show's best character. He played it well.
Rest in peace...Eddie.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

When I was a cop in California Osmond had already been shot. He was doing PR kind of stuff while on light duty. He spoke at a DUI class I took with The Beverly Hills PD. He was a serious DUI officer.
Very serious.

Law enforcement[edit]
In 1970, Osmond joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) and grew a mustache which helped to secure his anonymity.[2][9][10] He worked as a motorcycle officer.[11][12] On September 20, 1980, Osmond was struck by five bullets while in a foot chase with a suspected car thief.[3][13][14] He was protected from four of the bullets by his bullet-resistant vest, with the fifth bullet ricocheting off his belt buckle.[3][13][14][15] Osmond was placed on disability and in 1988 retired from the force.[14] The shooting was later dramatized in a November 1992 episode of the CBS series Top Cops.

Old 05-19-2020, 12:12 AM   #7
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
Having competed against their incredible arrogance, endless resources, and "self-styled" ethics for years on behalf of our WV derby, I've called their race worse things than that.

Far worse...LOL..
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #8
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
When I was a cop in California Osmond had already been shot. He was doing PR kind of stuff while on light duty. He spoke at a DUI class I took with The Beverly Hills PD. He was a serious DUI officer.
Very serious.

Law enforcement[edit]
In 1970, Osmond joined the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) and grew a mustache which helped to secure his anonymity.[2][9][10] He worked as a motorcycle officer.[11][12] On September 20, 1980, Osmond was struck by five bullets while in a foot chase with a suspected car thief.[3][13][14] He was protected from four of the bullets by his bullet-resistant vest, with the fifth bullet ricocheting off his belt buckle.[3][13][14][15] Osmond was placed on disability and in 1988 retired from the force.[14] The shooting was later dramatized in a November 1992 episode of the CBS series Top Cops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CugiwI-HmS8
Great stuff. RIP Eddie Haskell. That character still sets the bar.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:22 AM   #9
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlay View Post
Eddie Haskell

The GOAT of thread titles. Well done, dude.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:52 PM   #10
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Having competed against their incredible arrogance, endless resources, and "self-styled" ethics for years on behalf of our WV derby, I've called their race worse things than that.

Far worse...LOL..
Should not be run at the same time frame.

It’s like the Jim dandy.

I don’t see you complaining about the spa stealing your horses.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2020, 02:35 AM   #11
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Should not be run at the same time frame.

It’s like the Jim dandy.

I don’t see you complaining about the spa stealing your horses.

Allan
I have nothing but respect for the manner in which Saratoga hustles the Jim Dandy. To be honest, Monmouth does operate within the rules, but they play very rough. And I've recruited against both tracks for 22 years. So I do speak with some authority on these matters.

FWIW- the time frame has always been above my pay grade. Sure, I have some thoughts on our race's positioning, but reciting them would not be productive.

Last edited by mountainman; 05-21-2020 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:31 PM   #12
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I have nothing but respect for the manner in which Saratoga hustles the Jim Dandy. To be honest, Monmouth does operate within the rules, but they play very rough. And I've recruited against both tracks for 22 years. So I do speak with some authority on these matters.

FWIW- the time frame has always been above my pay grade. Sure, I have some thoughts on our race's positioning, but reciting them would not be productive.
What's this?

A horseracing discussion breaks out in the off topic area. Meanwhile the Saratoga thread is rife with off topic posts.

The world has gone mad today
And good's bad today,
And black's white today,
And day's night today,
And that gent today
You gave a cent today
Once had several chateaux.
When folks who still can ride in jitneys
Find out Vanderbilts and Whitneys
Lack baby clo'es,
Anything goes.

~Alan Watts