Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 10-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Hammerhead
Slicker Picker User

Access 2007

I have access 2007 installed on a older machine and no longer have the disks.
Is there a way to transfer it to my new machine? New is basically the same but more memory and a bigger drive. Both run on windows XP. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Hammerhead
Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #2
DJofSD
Screw PC

No.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
No.
Actually, maybe, if he still has the activation code/license(?) He would need to install the HDD in the new PC though. Or install the trial version and enter the license code, but I think MS may have an activation limit for Office of once per 6 months.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Actually, maybe, if he still has the activation code/license(?) He would need to install the HDD in the new PC though.
As it isn't installed on the new computer I doubt that he could run it. There would be no registry entries. He could try to export them and then try to import them into the new computer but I'm not sure that would even work. He would still need the license/code, that's for sure.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg
As it isn't installed on the new computer I doubt that he could run it.
Correct, that's why I mentioned he could either download/install the trial version or just install the old HDD. Might work. But he hasn't mentioned yet if he has the license, otherwise, try Mechanic's links.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977
Actually, maybe, if he still has the activation code/license(?) He would need to install the HDD in the new PC though. Or install the trial version and enter the license code, but I think MS may have an activation limit for Office of once per 6 months.
Install a trial version then enter the license code -- that's a good idea and worth a try. What is there to lose? We're talking about trying this on the new machine which does not have Access of any flavor, right?
Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 AM   #8
Hammerhead
Slicker Picker User

Thanks all Instead of fighting the problem I guess I'll have to get another new disk somewhere.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Longshot6977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
Thanks all Instead of fighting the problem I guess I'll have to get another new disk somewhere.
Did you review our ideas or try any of them? Do you have the license code at the minimum? Let us know so we can update our personal knowledge base (our brains, lol). Hate to see you just give up and spend money if not necessary.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead
I have access 2007 installed on a older machine and no longer have the disks.
Is there a way to transfer it to my new machine? New is basically the same but more memory and a bigger drive. Both run on windows XP. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks Hammerhead
There are licensing differences. Some PCs are pre-loaded with Office but it's usually an OEM license that is specific to usage on that machine. If you paid for Office 2007 retail edition separately then it's a different type of license and will include a product key which allows you to uninstall from the old and reinstall on the new. In the latter case if you have the retail product key then 'finding' an ISO shouldn't be too hard, at that point you could install and use the old retail key, perfectly legal. There are good deals on Office if you're a student or if your employer is enrolled with the MS home use program (HUP). Failing either of the above look on ebay. I have a fondness for Access too and use it for handicapping research but I'm always hovering right at the 2GB limit which is problematic.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
vegasone

As long as both machines are running XP, getting the old hard drive to work on the new machine as the primary drive is easy. What I usually did was copy the old drive unto a newer drive and expand the partition as needed, if I was wanting more capacity, or just use the old drive as the boot drive. I would still back up the older drive just in case.

Removing the old drivers in safe mode and installing new drivers after reboot should be simple.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #12
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone
As long as both machines are running XP, getting the old hard drive to work on the new machine as the primary drive is easy. What I usually did was copy the old drive unto a newer drive and expand the partition as needed, if I was wanting more capacity, or just use the old drive as the boot drive. I would still back up the older drive just in case.

Removing the old drivers in safe mode and installing new drivers after reboot should be simple.
In the days of IDE interface drives this was do-able for mere mortals. These days though with SATA chipsets AHCI mode and all the rest it typically takes a person with a great deal of experience to pull this off. Windows deployment onto dissimilar hardware is a significant slice of my day job.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Hammerhead
Slicker Picker User

Thanks guys I took out the wireless routers and use it that way