Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #31
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Average salary at approx. $56,000. Means you have successfully put a value to one human life----around $31 million each.!
.................................................. ...............................
"A man asks a woman if she would be willing to sleep with him if he pays her an exorbitant sum. She replies affirmatively. He then names a paltry amount and asks if she would still be willing to sleep with him for the revised fee. The woman is greatly offended and replies as follows:

She: What kind of woman do you think I am? A prostitute?
He: We’ve already established that.........

Now we’re just haggling over the price!
You've completely missed the point, as usual. As poverty goes up, lives are ruined and lost. The end result will be that more lives will be lost to the "safeguards" than the disease itself.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #32
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
They should have limited the payments to equal the individuals income when he was layed off.
People getting assistance from the govt.

Why limit the money given to an individual?

How are businesses being compensated?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #33
riskman

Is the USA too corrupt, too weak, too cowardly, too stupid, to prevent itself from being destroyed? It’s not clear from what I read on the net and other print sources.

So what is this really about? Practicing for future biowar? Or just maintaining the health of increasingly pathetic, corrupted, unrepresentative, and financially broken government? You tell me. I am an old man and worn out.PA has given enough hints .....I think !
Old 04-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
People getting assistance from the govt.

Why limit the money given to an individual?

How are businesses being compensated?

Allan
Really?
You really don't understand it?

Business HIRE people - they hire multiple people.
Why should Joe Schmo off the street get REWARDED for this?

Businesses are not getting a great deal as it is.....
Old 04-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #35
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskman View Post
Is the USA too corrupt, too weak, too cowardly, too stupid, to prevent itself from being destroyed? It’s not clear from what I read on the net and other print sources.

So what is this really about? Practicing for future biowar? Or just maintaining the health of increasingly pathetic, corrupted, unrepresentative, and financially broken government? You tell me. I am an old man and worn out.PA has given enough hints .....I think !

It is really sad. I point to 2 specific things that are driving and will continue to drive this.

1) The attitude of NY Governor Cuomo (and I assume most of the other Governors), who basically says that we have to prevent death at all costs and that we can always fix the economy (good luck with that). It is a balancing act (limiting Covid deaths vs the destruction of our country) and if the decision makers aren't balancing then they will keep the economy on lockdown for way too long until things get really ugly and they realize they have to make a balanced decision)

2) The stupidity of the American public to not be able to think for themselves. I reference the polls of 4 or 5 days ago which basically show 70 to 80% of folks think this lockdown was appropriate. When Governors see polls like that they are going to feel vindicated. In the poll referenced below it stated:

Only 12% of Americans say the measures where they live go too far. About twice as many people, 26%, believe the limits don’t go far enough. The majority of Americans — 61% — feel the steps taken by government officials to prevent infections of COVID-19 in their area are about right.

About 8 in 10 Americans say they support measures that include requiring Americans to stay in their homes and limiting gatherings to 10 people or fewer — numbers that have largely held steady over the past few weeks.

Whether this sentiment shifts over time remains to be seen. Say what you want about the media, they have a lot of influence over folks and they are working diligently to provide one side of the story. Guess what it is sadly working. We have a lot riding on the opening of Georgia and other states. The MSM is just licking their chops to say I told you so if it fails. Those sick *****.

Also Boxcar made a really good post the other day about the win-win on this. No matter what they do they can spin this to make it look like it is the right decision. When we started the lockdown, we weren't even number 1 in Covid cases and deaths, now we are crushing the other cases in number of cases and have more deaths than Italy and Spain combined. All this doesn't mean much but the point is that if I wanted to use the tactics the media and the left use I can use those numbers to show that lockdown is a complete failure. But the scientists and even our President spin it to say if wed did not have the lockdown Millions would have died. Truth is we really do not know. I think when all is said and done and Sweden has reached herd immunity fairly soon and we continue to struggle with this virus, I think history will show their approach was better, without the financial devastation. JMO.

Obviously we can't go back in time and change anything, so all we can do is go forward. Unfortunately the going forward approach is taking far too long in too many states and despite the President's assurances and Andrew Cuomo's confidence, this economy isn't coming back for years. That I am fairly certain of. However, I am not an "expert".

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/...nued-lockdown/
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 08:25 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If a Republican governor opens up his state, the Lame Stream Media peppers the report with words like risky, gambling....if a Dem governor does, they get kudos for getting things back on track.

This is a political disease more than a physical one.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #37
thaskalos

IMO...we become a pretty unhealthy bunch as we age in this country...and we know it. Obesity and diabetes are rampant among us...not to mention the more serious diseases like cancer and heart ailments. 80% of those of us over 60 are on prescription medication...and it goes up to 87% for those who are 65 and older. With our health in such sad shape...how can there not be rampant fear when a virus threatens the life of those of us with "preexisting conditions"? When you hear that 80% of the 60+ year-olds are on prescription drugs...can you imagine how many "preexisting conditions" are out there?

If we were healthier...then we wouldn't be as scared...IMO.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #38
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
If I’d have known I was gonna live this long I’d have taken better care of myself.......Mickey Mantle

It’s not dying that scares me. It’s HOW.

I’ve been reading stories of how people, some even in their 30’s, die of this thing and how quickly that can happen. Horrifying.

I just hope that if/when I come down with this I’ll be afforded the time necessary to choose an alternative.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I know I am at risk, so I take precautions.
Those younger and healthier than I am should not have to put their lives on hold.

Let ME worry about ME.

Let THEM go back to living.

Niethe groups need a F***** polticians tell us wht to do or when to do it.

The REPRESENT us, not OWN us !

Screw them all.
Get the hell out of our lives.

Let Cuomo take care of HIS OWN POS brother out there putting people at risk before the tells ME what to do.

The time to end this BS is now.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #40
Poindexter

Quote:
IMO...we become a pretty unhealthy bunch as we age in this country...and we know it. Obesity and diabetes are rampant among us...not to mention the more serious diseases like cancer and heart ailments. 80% of those of us over 60 are on prescription medication...and it goes up to 87% for those who are 65 and older. With our health in such sad shape...how can there not be rampant fear when a virus threatens the life of those of us with "preexisting conditions"? When you hear that 80% of the 60+ year-olds are on prescription drugs...can you imagine how many "preexisting conditions" are out there?

Completely agree. The problem is that the wealth of a lot of huge companies (pharma, food...) thrives off of an ignorant public and even misleading the public. Obesity, diabetes, pre-diabetes, heart disease etc are all very much preventable and typically reversible. Not so sure about cancer, but I do think that a diet plays a huge roll int that as well. We live in a country where people abuse their bodies eating crap and are looking for a magical pill or magical procedure to make life okay. All individuals that have any of these ailments, now more than ever, should make changes in their life and get healthier.
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #41
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I know I am at risk, so I take precautions.
Those younger and healthier than I am should not have to put their lives on hold.

Let ME worry about ME.

Let THEM go back to living.

Niethe groups need a F***** polticians tell us wht to do or when to do it.

They REPRESENT us, not OWN us !

Screw them all.
Get the hell out of our lives.

Let Cuomo take care of HIS OWN POS brother out there putting people at risk before the tells ME what to do.

The time to end this BS is now.
Yes...there was a time when our elected officials were considered to be "public servants"...whose job was to REPRESENT us, and our wishes. But as life got more and more difficult for us, and we became more and more distracted with the "business of living"...our "servants" started calling themselves our 'leaders'...and we were too "busy" to notice this subtle and disturbing transition. So...our "leaders" are now telling us what to do...as "leaders" will often do. The question is...for how long will we let these "public servants" get away with it?

Last edited by thaskalos; 04-26-2020 at 09:07 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 PM   #42
dlivery

Cool As long as... the g man

The money train keeps rolling a long toot toot too long.
As soon as that dries no more for you up there your done
dlivery is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2020, 01:02 AM   #43
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Yes...there was a time when our elected officials were considered to be "public servants"...whose job was to REPRESENT us, and our wishes. But as life got more and more difficult for us, and we became more and more distracted with the "business of living"...our "servants" started calling themselves our 'leaders'...and we were too "busy" to notice this subtle and disturbing transition. So...our "leaders" are now telling us what to do...as "leaders" will often do. The question is...for how long will we let these "public servants" get away with it?
Answer= When the people have had enough and rise up....and were almost there.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."---Abraham Lincoln
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #44
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Answer= When the people have had enough and rise up....and were almost there.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it."---Abraham Lincoln
another civil war?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #45
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
another civil war?
Much, much deeper....An Epic Spiritual War.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply