Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

HRRN BRIS Call in show

Anyone listen to this tonight?
Last half hour, a listener calls in to asks about nasal strips - a horse won at SA wearing them, and he wanted to know if this was something that was going to be in the PPS.

The "seasoned professional" () Tony, Big A (how appropriate!) acts like a little school girl and whines about the lousy callers tonight and totally brushed off the guy. He is more concerned about the 16 stakes races coming up this weekend and throws the guy under the bus. Real professional.

What a Pompous ASS this clown is. A simple question about HANDICAPPING on a HANDICAPPING call in show and the jerk act like someone pissed in his beer.

Guess standards at HRRN are pretty low.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #2
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Last half hour, a listener calls in to asks about nasal strips - a horse won at SA wearing them, and he wanted to know if this was something that was going to be in the PPS.

The "seasoned professional" () Tony, Big A (how appropriate!) acts like a little school girl and whines about the lousy callers tonight and totally brushed off the guy. He is more concerned about the 16 stakes races coming up this weekend and throws the guy under the bus. Real professional.

What a Pompous ASS this clown is. A simple question about HANDICAPPING on a HANDICAPPING call in show and the jerk act like someone pissed in his beer.

I remember when nasal strips first came to the forefront when Lukas won 2 breeders cup races with longshots in the 1999 Breeders Cup with nasal strips. Almost 20 years later and the betting public has little information about them. I wonder if they actually help horses or not?
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Do nasal strips help horses?
https://www.horsetalk.co.nz/2014/05/...s-help-horses/

Quote:
Do horses derive any benefit from the strips, which are designed to tape open the nostrils and keep them open? The answer, it would seem, is yes.

Researchers have found that equine nasal strips reduce lung damage. However, in the most sensitive question for the racing industry, there is a possibility they also may improve performance.

-jp

Old 10-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Exactly my point. A legitimate quesion brushed off by a pompous ass's hissy fit.

Tony is the same guy who said, on air, that Arrogate was a better horse than Secretariat. Arrogate then proceeded to lose his next two races and retire.

HRRN needs to upgrade the quality of its on air talent(?).
Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #5
1GCFAN

The Big A has strong opinions on horses, Arrogate and California Chrome come to mind. He is a good handicapper but not keen to talk about the subtleties of racing. Usually his co-host will weigh in. I remember a call last year about the progress of the IRS bill to change what constitutes a minimum bets for tax purposes. He claimed not to be following the legislative effort. Fortunately, Ed stepped in an updated the caller.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
BCOURTNEY

Quote:

2 ways to prevent bleeding are lasix and strips.
BCOURTNEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

That info used to be in the PPs.
BRIS still has a space for it in the data fields, but nothing there.
I remember some nice form reversals with NS on.

Must be the whales are buying that info now?

My point though, is why be a total dick to your listeners?
I don't care if he hits 90% with an ROI 0f 4.00 - no excuse for a so-called professional to act like a baby girl on the air.

And he was a total dick.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
the little guy

Can you at least call him Anthony and not Tony?
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Certainly.
Not that is makes any difference in his behavior.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
the little guy

Quote:
Certainly.
Not that is makes any difference in his behavior.
That's fine. Anthony is my friend. If you knew him, I am confident you would really like him.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #11
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
That's fine. Anthony is my friend. If you knew him, I am confident you would really like him.
That aside...do you think that Tom is right in criticizing Anthony's handling of the nasal strip question of the caller? It may be reassuring to discover that an on-air personality is 'very nice' in real life...but his audience only has his on-air performance to judge him by.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

Having met both of them, I think most people would like the BIG A & Tom.

I was here.. Front Row! Two months ago. I didn't know much about Anthony until I went to this show. A fantastic evening. Chris Kay NYRA CEO was the headliner.

The Big A was the Opener..

And the Looch also! BIG A and Looch stole the show. This was at the Parting Glass Pub in Saratoga.. The final show of the 2018 season.

Looch was great, and just like you might imagine. He showed up late , looking great and happy, he had a posse, 4 people, two of them looked like super models! They broke out a new table for The Looch and his Crew. Like a scene from Goodfella's

Looch was smart, funny, humble, but a big Swagger too! Cool Guy.

Remember too, about The Big A and guys like him, these are New York Race Track Guys... tough and seasoned people. They step on toes, they walk with big sticks, they consider themselves at the top of the heap. So they piss you off here and there. Comes with the territory.

For example, I stopped by the BIG A's table on my way out and had a quick hello, love the show, and good bye. But I did mention that I learned my early handicapping at Suffolk Downs, and the Big A looked at me as if I said The Carousel at Disney.

The Big A is not just NY, he's Queens, Howard Beach. I circled in & out of HB a few times.. Howard Beach generates more NY street guys than any other place on the east coast. Its a great place to be from.

Last edited by Suff; 10-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
That aside...do you think that Tom is right in criticizing Anthony's handling of the nasal strip question of the caller? It may be reassuring to discover that an on-air personality is 'very nice' in real life...but his audience only has his on-air performance to judge him by.
I didn't hear the show. Someone else I know, who doesn't know Anthony, took Anthony's side.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
1GCFAN

Listened to the replay this afternoon. I think there might have been a few production problems and then the caller who supported Catholic Boy as potential for the Eclipse set him off. Callers wanted to talk about the super trainers and then nasal strips was the last straw.

Personally, I like discussions about super trainers and racing in general. Often this show gets only a few callers (I listen every week to the replay). Their best show was when the Little A was a co-host. Her knowledge and discussion points brought a different perspective.

By the way if you haven't heard the one hour interview on HRRN with Uriah St. Lewis, go listen to the replay.
1GCFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #15
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac View Post
I remember when nasal strips first came to the forefront when Lukas won 2 breeders cup races with longshots in the 1999 Breeders Cup with nasal strips. Almost 20 years later and the betting public has little information about them. I wonder if they actually help horses or not?

Even if they don't , its a great place to put paid advertising. Gotta think out of the box
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply