Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Andy Asaro

Santa Anita nixes free racing forms for Stewards. Start a GoFundMe for them?

(From email list blast)

I’m dying laughing as I’m writing this. Do we want to start a GoFundMe for the Stewards so they can have a racing form? EFF NO!

And besides that why do they need a racing form? The picture of an inquiry last week showed them watching CNN. The knitting channel gets higher ratings than CNN.

Maybe Baedecker should take a cut in pay along with McHargue. What about free buffet’s? Do they still get free Buffet’s? Legend has it that former Chairman David Israel still holds the Guinness book of world records for free buffet’s in a year. And reportedly averaged 10 or more repeat visits during the day with a first in/last out strategy.

We never quit,

A

http://www.latimes.com/sports/more/l...ae1ff-81967437

Excerpt from John Cherwa Newsletter:

As you know, I love to peruse the stewards’ minutes to get the real inside of what’s going on at the race track. Well, last week’s had a good one. It seems as if Santa Anita is no longer providing the stewards with a copy of the Daily Racing Form because of cost.

Here’s the item under the title “Information loss.”

“Santa Anita Vice President, Racing & Racing Secretary Rick Hammerle told the Stewards that they would no longer receive copies of ‘The Daily Racing Form’. The Stronach Group CEO Tim Ritvo visited the Stewards yesterday and expressed concerns to the Stewards as to the expense of ‘The Daily Racing Form’. Records of the racing secretary and paymaster of purses may be substantiated by records of the Daily Racing Form or any other service recognized by the board as outlined in CHRB Rule #1610 (Official Records of Eligibility).”

Now, it’s tough to figure out which is more amusing. Is it Santa Anita, which can be exceedingly generous when dealing with people and charities, drawing a line in the sand over a little more than $30 a day in Daily Racing Form costs? (That’s figuring four copies.) Or, is it the stewards being so petty as to put the fact they are no longer getting free Daily Racing Forms in a report that, in theory, goes to Gov. Jerry Brown?

So, what should we do? Well, most assuredly nothing. But, if we were to start a GoFundMe to cover the DRF costs, would it be for Santa Anita or the CHRB?
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
MonmouthParkJoe

Assuming the stewards in California are all in the same location during the race, why not share one?

You cant make this stuff up. Then again, I am not a steward so I am not sure if they each need one to perform their job.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Are the STEWARDS betting on the races?

Might explain a hell of lot of their decisions!
Old 10-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #4
dilanesp

Santa Anita switched to a program with full pp's this year. I bet the stewards get that free. This is not a big issue.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Santa Anita switched to a program with full pp's this year. I bet the stewards get that free. This is not a big issue.
It's hilarious that it made it's way into the L.A. Times newsletter.
Andy Asaro is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2018, 09:45 AM   #6
HorsemenHeist

Why should the stewards get free forms? How does that help them in their job of officiating the races? They already use InCompass to determine eligibility and stuff like that. If the stewards get free forms, may as well have the lady serving coffee at Clockers Corner get a free one, a DRF is equally relevant to their jobs.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #7
turfnsport

If I was a steward I certainly would be handicapping the races and reading the articles on the track I covered. I would want to know trainer and jockey intentions regarding "rabbits' and such. I would want to at least know how each race is supposed to play out on paper. My guess is most don't.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am assuming that coffee, donuts, and lunches/beers will be provided to the stewards free of charge by the trainers.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
the little guy

I think it would be great if all Stewards "handicapped" all races they monitor, so that they would have some kind of idea of how they should, or could, be run. It might help them ask connections why a speed horse wasn't sent, or other surprising race developments. Help them see potential form reversals and ask necessary questions. More knowledge is never a bad thing.

Whether or not they need a DRF, or could just have their pps printed for them, is another discussion. However, I for one think it would be great for the game if all Stewards studied past performances before the races were run.

For all I know, many or most already do this.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
classhandicapper

I would have guessed the stewards get comped PPs.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #11
whisperlunch

Goof on the big ol roof should have an opinion????
whisperlunch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply