Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #16
HalvOnHorseracing

Horses only breathe through their nose. If the nasal strip opens up the nasal passage, it has to be some help.

Mouth for eating, nose for breathing.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1GCFAN View Post
L

By the way if you haven't heard the one hour interview on HRRN with Uriah St. Lewis, go listen to the replay.
I took you up on that and did. I think I caught most of it. It should be sent out to anyone running a business. I caught all the parts where he described how he gets Hay, Feed, Shavings etc.. and saves a couple of bucks any way he can.

Hard working immigrant who values every penny he has.

Reminds of my Grandfather who said things like "I'm going to make the electric company happy today and listen to the Red Sox on the radio"
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #18
bobphilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCOURTNEY View Post
2 ways to prevent bleeding are lasix and strips.
Contrary to popular belief, Lasix has never been proven by any scientific study to prevent bleeding. To the contrary, the only study done indicates it likely has no such effect. It has been proven, however, to be performance enhancing, which is why it is banned everywhere but in North America. The reason for this effect is not clear though one theory is that it masks other drugs. In any case, performance enhancement is why everyone uses it whether they have a bleeder or not. They don't want to be at a disadvantage to everyone else. We need further studies as this is a widely used potent medication, but this is unlikely given how no one wants to give up on a performance enhancing substance.

It is still not clear whether or not nasal strips prevent bleeding though one study posted here suggests they may do so since they help horses with breathing problems. We need further studies here too and I hope they do since they are not a drug and there would be no excuse for using Lasix. Among other special interests, Big Pharma is making big bucks off the wide spread use of Lasix and are unlikely to support the search for a non-drug alternative.

Last edited by bobphilo; 10-07-2018 at 01:45 PM.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #19
ubercapper

Nasal Strips were added to the database shortly after they starting being used and letters were assigned for inclusion in the medication/equipment field in pps for pp providers that wanted to use them - S for Nasal Strip and Q for Nasal Strip off.

If I recall correctly some tracks reported them and/or entered them when sending entries to Equibase but some did not and that is why most pp providers didn't put them in pp lines because of the likelihood for inconsistency.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 AM   #20
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
That's fine. Anthony is my friend. If you knew him, I am confident you would really like him.

I second what Andy said. Anthony is a wonderful person. I worked with him for years on the HRRN Live afternoon show, the Weekend Preview and occasionally on the call-in show. He does have the persona that sometimes smacks of being brash, but he's never dull.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: