Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-15-2004, 09:42 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thumbs down Julie Krone threats?

Maybe the California posters have heard more about this?
Supposedly, Gary Stevens got a note meant for Julie and was so shaken up by it he took off mounts. When Julie finally got it, she too dropped out of public afor a while. Conjecture on Roger Stein's show is that it was a death threat from a stalker she knew and had follwed rhe from NY?
Scary thought.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Interesting....lots and lots o nuts out there, that's for sure...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2004, 11:06 PM   #3
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Quote:
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
Interesting....lots and lots o nuts out there, that's for sure...
Lots of nuts out where? N.Y has it's share of nuts too!
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2004, 11:19 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Sigh......when I said "out there", I wasn't specifically referring to California. I meant "out there", like "OUT THERE", like "out in the world OUT THERE", like "out THERE, not IN HERE (in my house?) OUT THERE"

Get it?!?!? LOL

Sometimes message boards are horrible ways for communicating the meaning of ones thoughts, or maybe I just suck at it....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2004, 11:32 PM   #5
Buddha
Aspiring Pace Capper

I dont think it was the way you commnuicated youself. Message boards can be tough especially judging ones sarcasm, as you cant hear a tone of the "text" or voice
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-15-2004, 11:54 PM   #6
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I was only joking, i'm not trying to make anyone mad...:o
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
sq764
EIG

Man, if I had the time to send all the death threats out to jocks I intended to...
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2004, 05:10 AM   #8
stgeorge

I don't know, I'd have to hear more from the people actually involved, otherwise it sounds like people are reading a little more into the story as it has been reported...

Gary Stevens took of his last mount Thursday complaining about a lack of security for jockeys on their walk back to the jockey's room after each race.

According to a story in the LA Times:

Stevens said there were two incidents after he'd finished fourth aboard Throw Me A Curve in Thursday's sixth race.

He said one fan, standing on the other side of the winner's circle, cursed him as he left the track. Another, Stevens said, followed him to the jockeys' room.

"He was a clean-cut guy, but you never know," Stevens said. "In a split second, anything could happen. This was the same guy who came up to me the day before and asked me to take a written message to [jockey Julie Krone], which I did. After a race on Wednesday, I was surrounded by 15 to 20 people who wanted autographs. I needed the help of my agent [Craig O'Bryan] to get through. You want to cooperate with fans, but you also have to get on with the business of riding the next race."

So, by my calculations, Gary passed the note to Julie on Wednesday, and then he rode on Thursday, taking off his last mount and returning to ride on Friday. Krone, according to reports, worked horses on Thursday morning before deciding her back was too sore to ride. So it doesn't seem like anyone was too worked up about the note on Wednesday.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
sq764
EIG

Ok, 2 things about this Stevens ‘incident’

- If he is upset about a guy cussing him out after he lost a race, he is in the wrong business. It’s time to pack his crap up and retire.

- Scott Peterson and OJ were both clean-cut guys.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:48 AM   #10
so.cal.fan

Julie Krone's husband Jay Hovdey told my husband that Julie's back was very sore after riding, and as she wants to be right for Halfbriddled and other good mounts, she is going to get 100%.
She did not ride well the day she came back, in fact, she looked pretty bad.....she came back too soon.....she knew it, and took off again.
As for the Steven's incident, the man in question is a known "nut" around Santa Anita, he has caused trouble before.
The security guard who was suppose to be there was off somewhere else, and Gary had a problem, so he took off the last race to go talk to security about this guy, he wanted him thrown off the track, a lot of people agreed. Don't know what they did, but these kind of "fans" are not needed at the track. They can and do cause trouble.
These jocks get yelled at often.......they don't let it bother them for the most part.....a guy will yell out " you're a bad rider....take a job"......hey that's part of the deal.
However.....a psycho is another story..........I hope they kicked the guy out.
so.cal.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #11
kenwoodallpromos

If racing was smart they would set aside a time for fans to meet the jocks instead of pros like Stevens bitching about autograghs wanted!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:55 PM   #12
sq764
EIG

Excellent point!

Imagine if baseball players acted like this.. They would lose millions of fans/
Old 02-17-2004, 08:20 AM   #13
alysheba88
Veteran

Why does a fan need an autograph? Why does a fan need to curse out a jockey for a bad bet they made? Why does a fan who hates every jockey go to the races at all?

People think fans have a right to do anything they want however loutish it is.
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2004, 09:25 AM   #14
sq764
EIG

Why does a fan need an autograph? I think that question answers itself.

Why does a fan need to curse a badbet they made? They don't.

Why does a fan need to curse a jockey when they give a horrible ride to their horse? Because they invested money on the jock and expect an effort
Old 02-17-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
alysheba88
Veteran

Not sure I understand the autograph part. Dont see an answer. Have never understood why anyone, especially an adult, needs an autograph from a celebrity. Nor why the celebrity "owes" anyone an autograph. The whole process is insulting and denigrating to both parties in my opinion.

99% of the time the cursing I see at jockeys has nothing to do with effort. Usually its some drunken loser who needs to blame someone else for his own problems and lack of ability. Makes em feel like a a "real man" to curse someone out. Again most of these folks are just miserable human beings looking to take out their frustrations on anyone. The jockeys are an easy target for themselves. When they get home its their wife and kids.

Wish the tracks did a better job of ejecting the cursers.

Last edited by alysheba88; 02-17-2004 at 10:08 AM.
alysheba88 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply