Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-29-2003, 09:11 PM   #16
The Hawk

Saratoga

I've been playing horses my entire life and live in the NYC area and have no desire to EVER go to Saratoga again, the most overrated racetrack in the country, both in terms of racing as well as in terms of appeal as a facility. Enjoy the increase, folks!
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 04:30 AM   #17
breakage
Veteran

Hawk, I have to agree with the "appeal as a facility" part. I was there for the first time in the summer of 02 while on vacation. We stayed at Lake George (nice) and drove down to Saratoga one of the days. I have to say I just don"t understand the appeal. I guess I'm just not into antiques,crowds, and having none of the normal racetrack conveniences (like a seat!!). It must be the ambiance and tradition that appeals to the masses I guess. The tons of people crowded around out front(behind the grandstand) almost seemed ridiculous as they watched the races on a tiny tv with a poor picture. Also the OTB in Lake George was a hole. I was there for about 5 minutes.
breakage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 05:40 AM   #18
Suff
Beat up 💪

Re: Saratoga

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hawk
I've been playing horses my entire life and live in the NYC area !
New Mexico is where you said you lived? no?
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 06:05 AM   #19
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

Suff, that's not what NYC means! Take another guess.
VetScratch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 10:09 AM   #20
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Talking Toga

If you have ever had the chowder at Saratoga, you would pay any price just to get there. Surrender your good life for bad. To get it, you'd run and never stop. You'd call that a bar-gin, the best you e-ever had!

WHO said that????
Old 12-30-2003, 11:49 AM   #21
The Hawk

Tom: Roger Daltrey

Suff: New York City
Old 12-30-2003, 08:23 PM   #22
stgeorge

Well, variety is the spice of life and to each his own, etc etc.

So I guess someone has to dislike Saratoga. But it's hard to imagine being a racing fan and not enjoying being part of a weekday crowd of 20,000. Sitting in the stands and listening to a huge crowd applaud Fourstardave as he parades in front of the grandstand. The Hall of Fame right across the street. A warm summer night at the yearling sales. Kids hawking the Daily Racing Form along the main street. Going to a restaurant, any restaurant, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner and hearing the people at the next table debate the daily double or cry over a just-missed trifecta. The "Pink Sheet", a supplement to the local newspaper that focuses on the racetrack everyday throughout the meet. Not to mention extensive coverage in all the other local newspapers and other media.

That town eats, sleeps and breathes horse racing for six weeks. It's hard not to find that exhilirating as a racing fan.
stgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 08:47 PM   #23
Milleruszk

Quote:
Originally posted by stgeorge
Well, variety is the spice of life and to each his own, etc etc.

That town eats, sleeps and breathes horse racing for six weeks. It's hard not to find that exhilirating as a racing fan.
Amen Stgeorge!! I often wonder what goes on in Saratoga Springs the other 10 1/2 months of the year. It must go back to sleep only to be awoken by the neighing of horses the next year!

Tom
Milleruszk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 09:02 PM   #24
JustMissed

Hey, Where do you live.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hawk
I've been playing horses my entire life and live in the NYC area and have no desire to EVER go to Saratoga again, the most overrated racetrack in the country, both in terms of racing as well as in terms of appeal as a facility. Enjoy the increase, folks!
Hey, you show your location as New Mexico but say you live in NYC area-what gives?

You're not one of those Bill Clinton types where we have to debate exactly what "lives" means?

Were you confused in April or are you confused now?

JustMissed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 10:16 PM   #25
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

It's winter, so what is the mystery about being in New Mexico?

We should applaud the Hawk for keeping us informed about his whereabouts!

BTW, if you leave Location blank, you don't need to remember to take your GPS gadget every time you leave the house.

SAR Tip:
Visitors do find the lodging to be sparse, so if you can't stay in the SPA, try the Susse Chalet by I-87 and Colonie Mall, south of the Albany Airport. It beats others near the airport or what you will find in Clifton Falls or Glens Falls. The extra 5-6 miles on I-87 are nothing compared to the difference in value and quality.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:20 PM   #26
The Hawk

Must have erred in my profile, and will see to it. I'm an east coast guy..

I know I'm in the minority, but the long lists of what's "great" about Saratoga can easily be matched by a list of things which make it one the most uncomfortable, overpriced and overrated racetracks in the country. But to each his own, guys. Just think, I'm one less guy standing in front of you in August at the windows, the restaurant, the hotel, the bar...
Old 12-30-2003, 11:09 PM   #27
Figman

Vet,
Travelling from "Clifton Falls" to Saratoga each day is a little too much. Did you mean Hudson Falls or Hoosick Falls? Both are closer to the track than is Clifton Falls.
http://www.naturalhighs.net/waterfal...ls/clifton.htm
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #28
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I love Saratoga. It's one of the few places on Earth you can carry around a DRF all day, talk about racing day and night with almost anyone, and not get any funny looks from strangers....LOL
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2003, 11:35 PM   #29
Figman

I carry around my 8 1/2 X 14 BRIS PP Generator printed two side past performances with me. Unfortunately, I still get funny looks even though I'm a native Saratogian!
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2003, 12:10 AM   #30
VetScratch
EffetePrivilegedTrackRat

Figman,
Clifton Park instead of Clifton Falls... was recalling my worst night ever, when the last room in the area was the jumbo-size locker at the Glens Falls bus station.